Are you a Flight sim'er?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ROBSCIX, May 3, 2010.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    sid meyers gunship, f117 stealth fighter, on commodore, janes longbow and longbow 2, f15 strike eagle, iaf defense force, gods the golden age of flight sims.

my all time fav was the longbow games hardly boring to try and finish a map complete all your objectives, and take out extra targets with your 2 resupplies and land your apache in one piece, nm if your were trying to get every medal across a campaign.

2. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:

You should check out DCS A10 if you like combat platforms. It's an amazing sim.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I tried FSX yesterday. The game still runs like ... on my system.

I thought it was because of my previous (slow) PC.

And it does not even look that good.

4. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    I bought DCS:A10C. Its amazing and I am only in the training. Very detail sim in every way.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I like FSX. Cant understand why its so demanding on hardware. The graphics even when on highest settings are terrible, like a 10 year old game. I guess its the CPU doing all the work calculating all the variables for a proper flight sim. A high performance GPU I suspect is not a major requirement, judging by the lousy (often 2 dimensional) graphics.

6. GonerNL

GonerNL New Member

GPU:
    Point Of View GT430 1GB
    Maybe AirWarrior (Gamestorm/Kesmai, later killed by EA) or AcesHigh (still running, HitechCreations) ... really massive-multiplayer aircombat sims. Scenarios (like Battle of Britain, Big Week, Kursk) with as many as 150 pilots.
    Only real planes with the occasional jet (Me262) ;)

7. painter

painter Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Just wanted to show how far FSX has come... with a few add-ons*.

It even runs well [20+ most of the time] on my seriously ancient PC, with a few cfg tweaks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Add-ons include Orbx Simulations 'FTX' scenery for the Pacific North West, Pacific Fjords, Northern Rockies and Australia... 'Real Environment X' HD clouds, weather etc... 'Horizon Simulations' Generation X UK scenery... 'Shade' shadow lighting app... ENBseries lighting mod... to name a few

Well worth the time and investment, if it's your thing... you could spend many thousands if you wanted too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Used to love things like Red Baron, European Air War, MS Combat Sim1, Janes WW2 Fighter.

The thing in the latest generation that put me off is the lack of cinematic deep campaign where I can wage a huge campaign as a Luftwaffe pilot from beginning to end. Instead they just seems to shove a bunch of skirmishes together without a proper progressive campaign/flight career.

Also I think they concentrate far too much on uber realistic physics and neglect every other aspect of the game.

I still miss European Air War, never found a game as good.

Il2 and Wings of prey were certainly good but just lack soul imo.

Also MS are w@nkers for not supporting their FFB Joysticks.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    ^ Looks great painter, far better than unmodded FSX. Will check out some of these mods.

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I like my flight sims as arcadey as they come.

I loves WoP with it's arcade mode and hope more flight sims have a mode like that. I know Cliffs of Dover is coming out but I thought it was strictly sim-ish ( flight sticks ) so I don't think I'll risk it.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    Recently got a flight joystick, are there any good looking sims out instead of FSX cause it runs really really bad on my system (f*cking weird tbh)
    DC-10 is to hard i tried it :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  12. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Signex, Rise of Flight might be worth a shot if you fancy the WWI theme, I haven't tried it myself though. Also Cliffs of Dover is supposed to be pretty good. Did you mean DCS A-10C or DC-10 from FSX?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Signex....I have ROF and CLoD,there both very good and represent the era of technology realitically,i would say CLoD is the easier out of the 2 by a long way,but ROF has less keys to learn as there aint much to a WW1 fighter but i find it harder to shoot down enemy planes in ROF compared to CLoD.

All flight sims have a high learning curve cause the amount that you have to learn,one bit at a time,this is why most people give up and move on to something more arcadey like Hawx,maybe you should try Hawx 2 ro something similar.

Once you learn a good sim you will never go back to arcadey ones again,try to persevere,choose a plane/era that you like and stick with it.

i love a10 as a programming achievement but i dont like the A10 warthog so i didnt really learn how to play it,i think this is important as these games have a high learning curve so you need to like the plane your flying,cause if you dont when the going gets tough you will just bail out through boredom and uninterest.:)

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    Yea DCS A-10C, but the graphics are amazing though. Too many buttons lol, it's nothing for me. I might check that RoF out thanks.

15. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Back in my teen days I played thoroughly all the Microprose sims. I was a big fan of them and used to be quite good at it. I mastered them all. The last sim I really enjoyed was TFX. After that, my interest has been gradually declining in favor of other types of games. Nowadays I can't think of myself playing a flight simulator at all :)

16. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Ah ok. Yeah A-10C is complex, just like the real thing is. I'm still learning and I got when the first beta was released back in October last year.

I've also thought about getting ROF, I just haven't had the time yet. Too busy with Shogun 2 (love it!), A-10C and Arma2.

Veteran, how does CLOD run? I heard fps was very low when it came out.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Clod was a joke when it came out,but there are patches released every couple of weeks,there is a lot of support for it,its alot better and playable now but there is still alot of room for improvement,its playable,if your busy with other games it wont hurt to wait a little:)

18. superglide

superglide New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580
    I'm a flight simmer from day one. Enjoy FSX flying Flight1's Cessna Citation Mustang.

19. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I like Flying games but not the sim aspect, I'm a Flight-Arcader. I like flying games that support gamepad. Also Clifs of Dover was one of the worst games I've ever played period. It was like it was made by some no name $5 budget russian indie developer...no amound of patches can fix the poor mechanics and gamepalay of that POS.

But wings of Prey on the other Hand.....that has 7.1 surround, is fun, and plays like a champ.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't really play flight simulators. However, I do play this "flight simulator":
    [​IMG]