Are we ever going to get a new NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    WaitForMultipleObjectsEx and WaitforSingleObjectEx are declared in syncapi.h and provided by kernel32,
    Both windows and geforce driver use this pipelining for processes to communicate with each other or when loading a snap-in into a parent process and communicating with COM classes.

the significant time opening nvcp, selecting and changing options as well as the much longer time it takes for event viewer to list events is spent in these pipelines, which take as much as 10x longer to perform the same task on 10, compared to 7 and 8.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

each of these were profiled for 2 minutes, and covered opening the nvcp from a closed state, selecting an option (vsync iirc), changing the setting and then applying the setting.

curiously, heap operations are faster under windows 10 than 7.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Espionage724 likes this.
  2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Ah, so I'm not crazy! That would go some ways toward explaining why my old Win 7/980Ti machine operates so quickly in the NVCP. I found a nice set of drivers for all the devices a few years back and haven't changed a thing since. That machine is always offline and used for audio recording/mixing so I barely touch the NVCP, but it sure is faster in that case.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Trust me i was surprised after being so many years on amd so when i got this nvidia card when opened the CP i had some geforce 4 flashbacks from 2000's. :D

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Geforce 4 had a much different variation of Sedona UI, it had more clicks to get around than the present UI which was introduced with Release 160, which returned the section list to the left pane.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/93.81/93.81_ForceWare_New_Control_Panel_Quick_Start.pdf
    [​IMG]

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/163.75/163.75_NVIDIA_Control_Panel_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Espionage724 likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    WaitForMultipleObjectsEx and WaitforSingleObjectEx are part of Win32 API.
    And they have nothing to do with performance. Both functions are used to synchronize access to resources in multithreading environment. So when some thread awaits for some handle to change its state (event, mutex, process, other thread) it looks like it spends much time in WaitForMultipleObjectsEx or WaitforSingleObjectEx, but not because these functions are implemented badly, just because handle is blocked that much time.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    World of difference :p

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is still a Windows 10 flaw, you can take the same version of the nvidia components from Windows 7's 472 driver, including the service binary where the processing is occuring and put it into windows 10 and the same delay occurs.

I did test the exploit protection exclusions against both processes but could not achieve the snappiness of windows 7, and it is a stark difference really.

Especially where the MMC snap-ins are concerned.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Still these functions are not to blame. Only NV devs and their code.

True. But NVCP does not use it, luckily.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I disagree, when an operating system is the only factor that changes whether an application loads quick or not, the operating system is to blame.
    reinforcing that fact is that built in windows tools suffer too.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    I don`t know about what quick load you are talking. The global settings list and the program settings list changes are same slow in NVCP in all Windows versions on all my rigs.

It is not the code which loads something from disk, calculate changes and saves them back. It is the code which populates UI and interacts with user.
    Changes between Windows versions are well known and NV devs are to blame for not optimizing their code for different versions of Windows.

11. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    It just need better scaling options for high resolution monitors and the ability to load faster the profiles, i know it just takes a second in the worst slow scenario for fast nvme or 2 or 3 on a normal sata ssd but have you seen that nvidia inspector loads all the profiles at once in less than a nanosecond everytime. So yeah that.

Also there should be an option for advanced users that expose some of the thing we already have on nvidia inspector, so most of us can use some advanced features without needing to use a third party tool.

BuildeR2 and Maddness like this.
  12. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    GeForce 4... 2002... I'm starting to feel old now. :D

I could have sworn GeForce 4 was 2004. Yet FX series was 2003. To think GeForce 3 was February 2001. GeForce 4, February 2002 and GeForce 2 in May 2000. :eek:

Undying likes this.
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    So... it's barely changed. I knew it's still essentially the same crap as ~2 decades ago when I had a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, good job memory.

Undying likes this.
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I agree, for the CP they are to blame in general for the slowdown issue, it existed over several Windows versions including 7.
    Got and had quite a few other CP applications for other hardware that never had these slowdowns.
    Also just had the experience of an old and way more complex and much larger Windows program starting lightning fast after it's latest update, guess they figured out how to fix their code... ^^

Could also use a refresh of the design to align it with modern Windows, mainly removing scrollbars when the CP is resized to fit everything on screen.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    False.

Last edited: May 16, 2022

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Everytime i see this thread popping up the more i remember it like this :p

Schermopname (664).png

BuildeR2, sapo_joe, AQUILES and 5 others like this.
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I prefered that anyway, god that make me feel old. nothing wrong with current CP sure it might be little slow, but cause it parse all those profiles with every change no? Nvidia inspector has that same "slowdown" when first loaded but only parse those profiles on launch. honestly i almost never use NVCP only time i am in there is when messing with Adjust desktop size and position which rare, I do all threw nvidia inspector.

Nor do i want them to change CP they would make look more like AMD CP which hideous to me

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I remember this too. It was so cool to have these tabs, the more the better. Both Voodoo but also early GeForce cards had them.

19. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    Even Gamers Nexus made joke of nVidia's CP that came from Windows 98.

Undying likes this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    False. I witnessed hiccups and slow saving of changes in global and program profiles since my first rig with GTX670 card.