Are we ever going to get a new NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nvidia is not going to regress their feature set by 15 years. Why do you want that? I swear sometimes the rose tinted glasses and nostalgia really messes with some of you here.

2. Im_Special

Im_Special Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 6GB
    WOW LOLOL ROFL got owned! Oh wait, where did I, or others say that the classic one we got now was a good UI design? Maybe you can point that out for me?

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why are you taking that so personally? He is just amused by the UI's inability to scale to larger window sizes.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The detonator control panel couldn't be used on Vista, thats why it moved from a component of display.cpl(doesn't exist on vista+) into the standalone sedona UI.

There are improvements to be made, but turning it into GFE is a no go.

Suggested changes:

Dump GDI/MFC, introduce Direct2D/WTL
    allows the UI to use high quality scaleable fonts via DirectWrite
    Accelerated DPI / Resolution scaling
    No longer refreshes the entire GDI layer (all text) when changing a setting.​

Retain the existing menu layout.
    We know where everything is and everything is in a place it is expected to be​

Dark mode support
    The control panel should adhere to the windows ui colour scheme and it'll fit better with nvidia's own websites as it is now.​

Game scanning
    should only happen automatically the first time you start the nvcp after installing the driver.
    should not trigger with over-installs.
    Rescans via manual button (also resets the list to remove uninstalled games).​

SLI toggle should log the user off and enable on the next log in (like DPI changes).
    The present system of having to terminate applications can mess up the windows session and force you to log off anyway
    On Windows 10 you might end up having to kill half your process list.....
    System monitoring in CPL?
    No, the CPL is a run, set your stuff and close panel design not meant to be kept open.
    System monitoring can go to GFE for those who want it, or left to the third party who already does it near perfectly.
    DRS game database
    Retain the ability to export to the current text format, but internally handle it as a SQLITE database w/ wal journal (sqlite-wal)
    Only load / write the profile of the current selected application via journal writes.
    Current design updates the entire file in memory​
    Display.container rolls in WAL and then VACUUMs on exit of safe exit of NVCP​

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Darren Hodgson likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    BTW, I know who exacly is to blame for never updated NVCPL - Orbmu2k, author of NV (Profile) Inspector. He did so good job, that NV team decided - "cool! now we can play tetris" - as everyone being aware of NV inspector was using it.

Programmers are lazy. IKR.

Astyanax likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Looks like someone who is unfamiliar with windows scaling on 4k screen. :rolleyes:

Should look like this when scaled properly:
    [​IMG]

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The box that displays the different profile settings is still showing the same amount of information, it's still has an unnecessary scroll bar. DPI doesn't fix the UI. You're missing the point.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yeah I got the scroll bar point but he did say (inside that tiny box on the huge white background). That was the bit I was responding to. And did you bother to check the scaling differences between my image and his?

9. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    "Feature set?" A bunch of useless stuff nobody wanted is a feature set? They can make the UI look like anything they want. Had they continued the layout that Detonator's control panel had, the drivers would be smaller and more efficient. It doesn't mean they can't add more sliders and toggles and tabs to it. What I know is the drivers went from ~35MB to ~100MB overnight for no good reason, and the new control panel hid several options and took 4x longer to load. You wanna call that progress or something? And they didn't do it until ATI released the tragedy known as Catalyst Control Center. In fact, I believe that's what spurred the demand for "tweaker" apps which lead to some very useful programs that are found right here at Guru3D.

AntiSnipe likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol, no.

the 2 biggest parts of the driver, on its own - are the optix runtime library, and the 64bit nvidia shader recompiler.

Never at any time EVER, did the driver "jump" from 35MB to 100MB.

Keeping things fair, i'll list the international sets only.

XP 32bit
    91.36 30.7 MB
    162.67 68.2 MB
    195.62 88.5 MB

Vista/7 64bit
    195.62 133MB
    197.45 143MB
    If i remember right, nvidia jumped from Driver family 195 (195-198) to 260 for some reason.
    260.99 161MB
    280.26 177MB
    314.22 212MB

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Those tweaker apps are tweaking things that exist post-detonator. The complexity of the driver has followed the complexity of the GPUs it drives.
    I agree that the current nvcp is too slow. But I'm not going to fool myself into thinking the solution is "older is better".

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the only hope for speed is my suggestion, wal journal enabled sqlite database.

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't care how it happens, i know that with enough demand Nvidia may do as you suggest. I think maybe the demand just isn't there, we live in a bubble. The vast majority don't know what nvcp is.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Also while we are making demands, i want freestyle as a standalone app and i want it to have an option to work without a white list.

15. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I'm not talking about the back-end. I'm talking about the UI and I think the way they decided to go was to the detriment of the end user. And I think it was a reaction to CCC. They should have just improved on the existing layout.

Don't get me wrong, though. Nvidia's control panel has ALWAYS been better than CCC.

But yeah, Rivatuner and all the rest got more popular as a result of the changes those two companies made in their driver control panels.

sapo_joe likes this.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't really have an issue with the design of the UI. Other than some silly issues like bad scaling.
    Rivatuner and "all the rest" did and do things the control panel can't, what does that have to do with UI design?
    I can name drop coolbits too, which was a terrible way to overclock in your favorite control panel.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    CCC did not exist at all when Sedona was brought about.

18. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I agree that NVCPL is in dire need of an update (and god damn is it overdue). I fully agree with the improvements Astyanax listed, and I'm sure there are even more things that can be done, without adding unnecessary clutter that is.
    The profile scanning time and management of the current NVCPL, for example, is just atrocious. Having to rely on nvProfileInspector for backups is also just.. dumb.
    This should have been fixed long ago, and now they're even being outpaced by AMD, despite having vastly greater resources.

Just like Astyanax also said, the drivers never "jumped" in size, they've always slowly increased with time. I'm not sure where anyone got that idea from.
    As for the the jump in version, they did indeed (if G3D's archive is to be relied upon) jump from 197.75 to 257.21 (then called forceware, and not counting beta versions).
    I remember the jump myself (though I wasn't sure which versions), but I just have no idea why they did it. It only served to confuse.

Just like many of you older users, I remember the old CPL with nostalgia, but it would be a bad idea to bring back with the ever increasing screen resolutions. It just wouldn't scale well even if they somehow made it "different".
    Rose-tinted glasses off; the design itself also wasn't all that good, even back then. It was very "cramped", so to speak.

It also wouldn't make any difference to package sizes in any noticeable way to remove the current CPL, since what really takes up space is just about everything but the CPL.
    Even slimmed drivers can only reduce size by a couple of hundred MB, and removing the CPL would make next to no difference.

That said; nVidia: Get your thumbs out of your collective rears, this needs to be done yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    evgenim and SpajdrEX like this.
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah since a while back I can't get Aero to work no matter what. And Windows always says "Nv.display.container.exe" is the reason why. If I kill the service then it works.
    I've tried a clean install of drivers and nothing seems to change it. Dunno lol.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Trying to find a specific game is annoying as heck. Would be easier if the game profile list was alphabetical.

BuildeR2 likes this.