Are there any real HDR monitors available for gaming?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SerotoNiN, Jun 9, 2020.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'm putting this in the gaming forum because I feel this is more gaming focused than hardware.

I had a friend bring a copy of Mortal Kombat 11 over for Xbox. I have the Xbox One X and a Samsung 4K TV with HDR. Now, I also recently purchased MK11 and the new expansion on steam for my PC. I was really surprised to see the difference on Xbox vs. PC. The upscaling was done well on Xbox, hard to see a huge difference between 1440p upscaled to 4k vs. my PC is true 4K. But also, the HDR in the game on Xbox looked incredible. Things really popped out. I noticed this on the PS4 Pro I have as well. I originally started playing FF7 remake on my PC monitor in my office. I ended up bringing the system downstairs and with HDR enabled, it looked A LOT better. Like, a huge upgrade.

So I started searching for HDR monitors and having mostly ignored them until now. I was surprised at
    1.) The lack of "true hdr" monitors.
    2.) How expensive true HDR10 monitors are.

Why? Some of these monitors cost more than the 65 inch Samsung 4k tv with HDR in my living room. I don't get it. As a gamer, I feel a little pissed that having a decent gpu, and 4K monitor does not give the best IQ in comparison to a much cheaper console and tv with 4k/hdr.

Anyone have any luck finding a decently priced monitor? Is HDR just not important to you guys? What's the deal here? The monitor I have claims to have HDR, but, in most games, the hdr option is greyed out. When it is available, everything looks orange. How are some companies getting away with this implementation of "fake"hdr (8-bit vs. 10-bit I believe)? When I purchased this monitor (LG), my focus was 4k. I didn't know there was a false advertising of HDR.

2. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S
    darrenj and SerotoNiN like this.
  3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
  4. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    It is all about the pop you get. The way things graphically pop out at you is all I can say. A site that rates TVs and now monitors is RTINGS.com and they do an amazing job. With both purchases I ever made from there I got what was expected based on what they said. As for a recommendation you want to get as close as you can to 600 cd/m2 for HDR but I can tell you I had a Sony tv before that said it didn't full take advantage of the 10 bit panel that was inside it and yet when I got it home everything just popped. It was the Sony X700D. To me whether it be a monitor or tv if you can buy it close to home and the store has a really good return policy stick with that. It makes life so much easier. If you want to return it well you don't have to deal with customs, return shipping fees and whatever else they can come up with. You get to see the product without the worries of ordering from somewhere online far away from you so no chance of easy return. As for an exact monitor recommendations I looked at so many for 3 weeks that I can't even remember what it was I was thinking of buying and anyway I settled on using the tv I got for Xmas as a gift. It had been sitting in a corner due to not having a pc workstation it would fit on. Oh and in regards to what I am using now the RTINGS.com site said it had poor blacks or something along those lines and it does not and they always say the model they test might not be what you get so remember that. Anyway could I do better for a display? Yes. If I find the monitor I was sold on I will post about it here.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    SerotoNiN likes this.