are software keys sold on sites like URcdkey piracy?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pattakosn, Apr 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I got Banned from Overclock.net for the same reason many years ago, Thats why I hang out here Now. It happens dont feel to bad abt it.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    [​IMG]

386SX likes this.
  3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
  4. BFeely

BFeely Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080
    It would appear in that case since neither the original media nor the whole of the license kit isn't being transferred then this wouldn't be a lawful sale, but instead an unlawful duplication of the license key.

In Germany this would appear to apply too: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=9a6a0db5-bd8e-4422-8f09-10abc3e2d725

By the way, all Office Pro Plus keys found on reseller sites are "unbundled" VL keys, and should the lawful owner of the license perform an audit installations from these keys would get flagged as illegal and deactivated.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020

5. Yeah I bought my vehicle in 2013 & the dealer had already signed and filled out every page and portion he just had folded it to the last part and handed me a pen expecting me to sign. I walked by him sat down at the table next to us got comfortable and proceeded to read the entire contract for the next 15 minutes word for word. I wanted to setup credit history at the time so I'd be placing down high collateral of 75% value of the car upfront and paying off the rest over the course of a year. I found one line I didn't like, took it to the loan officer in the next room & we came to an agreement, signed it thanked everyone and left. On my way out in the lot towards my car the gentleman was seeing me out, handed me my keys laughed to himself and remarked "I can't recall the last time someone read the paperwork, I wish I'd done that at your age" I just smiled wryly and said yeah - well when you lose money...

6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Useful quotes:

"The CJEU confirmed that the lawful initial acquirer of a copy of software, accompanied by an unlimited user licence, can resell that copy and his licence to a new licensee. However, this does not apply if the original material medium of the copy which was initially delivered to him has been damaged, destroyed or lost. In other words, the initial acquirer cannot provide his backup copy of that program to a new licensee without the permission of the original rightholder."

From your link:

"Exhaustion, as provided by the law, is expressly limited to the right of distribution. However, if the purchaser of a licence or a COA was allowed to create his own copy or to rededicate the purpose of a copy (back-up/regular use) without the copyright holder's consent, the copyright holder's right of reproduction would be affected."

My impression is that if they own the bundle and distribution of keys, as long as they continue to use them in the way that they purchased it, there isn't really a point of contention which would include selling new keys for new machines. Reusing keys from machines that are no longer in service (second hand software) but not copies or unauthorised reproductions.

If the key bundle is purchased second hand from someone (with license and software copy), they would have a right to use it but not a right to sell or distribute keys as they never received the say so from the company to begin with. If they creating copies/backups or changing the way they work with the original key from purchase, that would also be in breach of law.

7. BFeely

BFeely Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080
    Aren't the keys intended for use by the licensee only, and not to be sold to third parties without selling the entire license bundle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.