are software keys sold on sites like URcdkey piracy?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pattakosn, Apr 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pattakosn

pattakosn Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    I just got banned on /r/buildapc for promoting piracy because I suggested to someone to look at guru3d for cheaper win10 licences. Does anyone have any idea if they are correct or what is going on?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    reddit are full of re......

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's a grey area. OEM keys are originally bound to single hardware and not meant for reselling (Except German law).
    So if someone wants to get Windows10, it should pay full price to get full support from M$. With legit Windows10, consumers can freely change hardware and apply their key for it.

I wouldn't say OEM keys are "piracy", but it's not 100% legit either. I myself bought and got OEM keys from other people for home usage PCs and I don't regret it.
    I didn't want to through troubles of getting pre-hacked Win10 and using crack software.
    BTW, if you upgrade non-legit Windows 7 to Windows 10, you get OEM key from M$.

/r/buildapc mods probably want their sub to be 100% clean, if there some grey area, they probably will ban it. It's not that right or wrong, it's how they want their sub to be presented to others.
    If someone wanted me to build PC for the work, I'd totally get 100% legit Windows 10 and install it for them.

Sorry to hear that you got banned, maybe pm /r/buildapc mods and mention that you didn't know the situation and will never mention it again... if you want to stay with the sub.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Reddit....meh.

5. pattakosn

pattakosn Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    Well, I would expect that if it was really piracy microsoft and antipiracy establishments would go after them. I also do not think that guru3d is a less reputable or well known web site and I guess they do not promote piracy!

Thank you for informing me, it is much kinder than what the /r/buildapc mods did. They did contact me and we had a discussion, apparently they consider self evident that OEM keys are piracy and didnt even mention it. I think it was a temporary ban but I don't think I will bother with them any more. Thanks anyone.

6. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    No the keys are mostly bought in bulk

sometimes you might find the odd issue with a used key but for me it is rare

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    depends on the original Win7/8 key. If it's a retail key, then your Win10 upgrade is to Win10 retail, not OEM.

8. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I bought a cheap machine for my daughter a year or 2 ago which had a dodgy licence

MS support manually activated my win 10 pro and provided a key free of charge

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, it's not piracy. As mentioned by another user, it is, however, a grey market area, though if people oppose to that for moral reasons then they can purchase the software suites through original channels with the accompanying prices.

scatman839 likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Microsoft are not helping themselves when you see the price of the OEM official Microsoft keys on their website.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    They are probably OEM windows 7 keys, which Microsoft allows to be used for windows 10.

IMO it is a good thing for getting more people to run legit windows 10. Some will always use fake activation's no matter what though.

Passus likes this.
  12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Windows home is free for everyone anyway....Which begs the question, why bother?

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    [​IMG]

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    because pro has more functionality ?

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    For businesses yeah. The only thing I can think of that pro benefits from is Bitlocker. Added security? No idea.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    You can install home for free. It doesn't ask for a key like previous version of Windows. It will prompt you to buy it now and then, Plus updates are still patched.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I can install my Win10 Pro without entering a key....
    Being able to install Windows without entering a key doesn't mean it's free. It's still piracy if you're using Windows without paying for a license....
    The Windows ISO is the same whether you're installing Home or Pro.

mbk1969 likes this.
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Passus likes this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I bought 2 licenses of Windows 7 Pro Retail back in the day, at a computer show for less-than-MS pricing. ;) Later, when MS had that crazy pricing for preorder upgrades to Win 8 Retail, I did that. Then when Win 10 rolled out, I upgraded those licenses for free to Win 10 Pro Retail. One day, MS had a server issue and it deactivated one of my licenses. I online chatted with MS Support, and she tried very hard to get my license activated, because it was obvious to her that my keys are legit, and Retail. She eventually got frustrated, and gave me a new key. Now I have 3 working legit icenses. :)

20. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Say you are German and in your country it's allowed to buy those. ;)

pattakosn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.