1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are ryzen processor tablets coming or should I buy intel with zombieload?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by potatochobit, Aug 23, 2019.

1. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    hello
    black friday is coming up fast
    I would like to buy a new tablet
    mine seems to be much slower since earlier this year after the zombieload patch
    it was an intel M5 I think

so i would like to buy a new surface pro 6 or go or something but I dont want an intel processor if possible
    I dont mind waiting up to 6 months, but I dont plan to wait 2 years as usual for amd to release laptop cpus
    does anyone know if there are the new ryzen cpus already on the way in any tablets or anything?
    thanks

2. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    They haven't even released Zen 2 APUs yet so it will probably be a while. Also I don't think any surface will go AMD.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    It's been a while since AMD had tablet. But issue you are facing may come from other than patch itself.
    Often, initial BIOS in devices allows higher TDP. And then, new BIOS has smaller to reduce warranty claims due to overheating.

Classical bite and switch. I had same experience with x5-z8500 which originally allowed good 14W power draw. And had really OK-ish performance for tablet.

4. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    thanks for the replies
    I did do a firmware update awhile ago and I have noticed the tablet not getting as warm as it used to
    windows and chrome have slowed down a bit, I also assumed that was from the summer patch updates and the gpu maxing out
    anyway, I guess there is no rush to getting a new tablet then and wait for some deals