Are my temps good?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by jacobschings, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jacobschings

jacobschings Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH4879 DK
    Ok, this is my first REAL oc machine and I am a little confused. I have a SS below and I need to know on coretemp it has each cores temp, now one is 38 the other is 40, this is under load (Using Prime95) and only after about 10 min (it seemed to stop going up so I SS it to see what you thought).

I have the AMD 5200+ Brisbane OCd to 3.125GHz (250 x 12.5 @ 1.4v)

I have the Blue Orb II cooler on it.

I am using the Antec 900 case with 2x 120mm fans on the front sucking air in, 1x 120mm on the side blowing in, 1x 120 on the back blowing out and the 200mm on the top blowing out.

The room temp is about 70 degrees F

I am using an EVGA 9800GT OC to 645/945

Now, what I really want to know is, is there anything else I should be doing? Did I not do something right? Are my temps good? Any advice would be great thanks.

[​IMG]

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    at 40C maxed full load you are completely fine. You wont need to worry until your CPU hits 65C or above.

Try running a stress test for a longer period of time, I run prime95 for 12 hours straight to make sure temps are stable as I tend to have very long gaming sessions.

3. jacobschings

jacobschings Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH4879 DK
    Yeah I had heard the number 65 thrown out there a lot. What I was concerned about is, does that mean 65 per core or add the two up and if that is above 65. Thanks for your input! :)

4. JDM_WAAAT

JDM_WAAAT Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512mb GDDR5

Well, lets say a rubber basket ball is at a temp of 25c. Do two identical basket balls add up to 50c? Are two hotter than one? Or is the system at a temp of 25c?

The answer is in that.

5. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    He's trying to confuse you :wanker:

You're safe upto 65'C per core, no adding together or none of that nonesense, and your pc wont break if it reaches 65'C, that is AMD's safe range...

A die hard overclocker would probably raise that temp to 85 if need be..lol

Run a stress test for about 10 min and you'll have your max load temp

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Guys, come on. A CPU is completely safe even up to and past 75C. I have had completely stock CPUs at my office that we found idling (meaning 24/7 temp) at 85C and they were like this from pure dust, God knows how long they had been like that. After cleaning out the case and heat sink the CPUs were fine and are still running today.

Now back to OCing, you need to run Orthos Prime for more than 10 minutes to test the stability of your CPU/RAM. I would go for at least 30 minutes and the reason you have different core temps is probably because you didn't run the Dual Core version of Orthos. Here it is: http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

When I was testing my 939 X2 4200+ at 1.55V before upgrading my fans I saw temps of 70-73C (now never over 61C) and this is completely fine, just stay away from 85-95C, but even these temps probably won't do any harm unless they are 24/7.

Also why isn't Orthos running in your screen shot? If you close Orthos and then take your temp reading it will be incorrect. Leave it running and watch your temps during the test.

Last thing to remember is that Orthos is THE hardest test on your CPU and it is very unlikely that any other app/game will get the core temps that high again. So if you see higher temps than you are used to, but the CPU remains stable over a long period of time during the test then I would not be concerned as long as the temps fall in safe range as I mentioned above.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. JDM_WAAAT

JDM_WAAAT Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512mb GDDR5
    Think what you want, it's the death of your processor.

8. jacobschings

jacobschings Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH4879 DK
    It was running, I have dual monitors, i had the screen on my other monitor and I cut the SS down so it was not too big.

Thanks for all of your input guys I really appreciate it! :banana:

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Haha, I have been running this CPU at the same speed for over 3 years. Not to mention my CPU idles at 29C and loads at 50C.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    mine gets in the mid 60`s during the hot summer. no problems here.full load that is

11. JDM_WAAAT

JDM_WAAAT Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512mb GDDR5
    Then what was the stuff about 70 - 85C? Good enough for other people, but not good enough for you?

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to understand what you are saying.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    If you would read you would see that is during Orthos with my old cooling setup, not during normal load with my new cooling setup. I was simply saying those temps are fine during a large stress test like Orthos Dual Core Beta. Everyone will see higher temps in Orthos then they will in any normal usage; even in games like Crysis or Far Cry 2 you won't reach the stress level of Orthos.

Also I said 85C is what I have found office computers running 24/7 @ idle because of dust and these computers were like this for who knows how long. After cleaning the cases they temps came back to normal levels and the CPU's are undamaged and still running today.