Are MP3's still a thing?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jbscotchman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Add to that crappy quality records produced by modern producers.

Mufflore likes this.
  2. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I hardly listen to music anymore but still use mp3 in my car. I've never been one to care for how my audio sounds though and likely would never care about any differences no matter what's being used. Hell I still use TV built in speakers for gaming.

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Same. I just listen to radio in my truck, and just wanted mp3 so I could listen to Pink Floyd in GTA :p

XenthorX likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    It's not a digestive system where you put goodness in and get crap out.

High quality input does lead to high(er) quality output than if you put poor quality into it. Being able to tell the difference? Yes, I can tell with a side by side comparison. I would rather make the best use of what I have versus shrugging and saying 'well, as my stereo was not built by NASA and used onyx and metal forged by the proud dwarves of middle-earth, I might as well listen to the worst quality audio I can find, and then, call the best quality I can find "useless" '.

Surely, I mean...surely what I am saying makes sense...

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I see both points.

Uncompressed audio is a waste of storage/bandwidth in many situations as the audio hardware and listening conditions make it impossible to appreciate.

The other view is that if that while you might not have the best hardware and you are unable to upgrade, at least you are feeding it the best input you can so you are making the best of the hardware available.

Personally, i'm a Flac guy. Best of both worlds as you get lossless audio quality, but with less storage/bandwith needed and the convenience of tagging etc that you get with a container.. You also have the option of going back to WAV at a later stage if that is something you may need.

Keitosha, Loobyluggs and SplashDown like this.
  6. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I EAC all of my CD's in case something would happen to them, at least some kind of backup but EAC makes it a perfect copy. Little offtopic but I agree with you either flac or wav.

Keitosha likes this.
  7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    99DD1C27-2E27-4C24-9D66-B33C56172C8D.jpeg I need to feed this beast with the highest quality files I can get, for just being out and about though, Spotify or Amazon Music HD do alright, in fact Amazon Music HD has great quality FLAC files.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Btw, I noticed on both - music and movies - the more titles you have the more repetitive (and narrow) is your choice. You kinda stumble observing huge collection and choose the same (limited) set.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Probably because people do not compartmentalize and just have a dewy-decimal-esque approach to filing, because we all have a rank-ordering system for every object that must conform to some sort of a system.

As a background, I used to work for Blockbuster in my college days and, it always surprised me how many people used to just rent the same thing (because I saw it on their account screen) week after week. Sure, they'd pick the latest Arnie movie, or Glenn Close blub-fest (with a large bar of chocolate) but, they would keep renting the same movie.

And, I never ever understood why people would ask me what they should watch and what, in general was a 'good movie' when their account had a history of renting Emilio Estevez straight-to-video junk.

I had the store laid out (this is what I'm getting at) in a fully compartmentalized way, complete with genres, age-appropriate, and even color-coded segmentation due to the homogeny of coverbox art, so this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

works better than this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So, although both films have the same lead actor, the boxes and genres are totally different (and they both have Bruce Willis!).

Believe it or not, HQ wanted me to put these two movies next to one another on the shelves (as Blockbuster clearly had computers running the show, it does surprise me to this day that they didn't survive). True story. Also, whilst I am telling true stories, let me tell you another one that is slightly funny...

/Engage story mode

There was a time when Video Stores were brutally competitive, because the profit margins on Popcorn were (and still are) insane (1,000%), so they didn't really care about the rentals, but more about the high-margin junk food - so, when the area manager found out that a brand new video store was to open up next door, to try and cream off the top, they suggested dropping the cost of renting to £0.01p (one cent for you Americans reading this) on the opening weekend as a special offer (with no rental limits!), and, to entice new membership take up.

It was an incredible weekend, with hundreds of people all scrambling for every video they could find, the word got out and this was in the days of no internet, no smartphones and, barely anyone had a cell/mobile. This was so long ago...Quake had not been released.

It was bedlam.

Chaotic grabbing of videos, boxes being carried in two hands and arms, like a librarian holding a weeks worth of books...I even ran out of ice cream and popcorn, god only knows how many sweets were stolen by teevin' kidz, but still, it was a success.

Every single movie was rented and I'm talking thousands of movies here people, thousands.

Except one movie.

Now, this movie...man oh man this movie...this, is a movie you know about, but, have completely forgotten it even existed until the very moment you clicked on the 'spoiler' tab below. Let me tell you that the actor for this movie, is one of the most iconic and revered movie actor of all time, he has some of the most quoted movie lines known to the world of acting. He is a towering giant of an actor, and one that has 3 frickin' Oscar awards to his name and has been directing movies since the 1970's.

He has so many movie moments burned into my brain (and yours, too) yet, there is one image that burns brighter than all the others to me, and that is an ENTIRE VIDEO STORE EMPTY apart from one, single video box all alone on those yellow shelves:

[​IMG]

Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there, giving that we all need stories to tell right now - and I'm always happy to share.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True. I have the same problem at a restaurant.

Give me a large large menu and i get lazy and end up picking something i've had alot.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I buy my music in either CD or lossless format. FLAC is the format of choice. I rip all my CDs to FLAC and convert bought WAV & AIFF to FLAC. Using WAV doesn't make any sense. It doesn't support embedding album art either (metadata support is rather poor) and it's just a waste of space. It's BMP vs. PNG situation.

I'll never buy lossy stuff. That's why there's Spotify.

Keitosha and Redemption80 like this.
  12. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I would only say the exception (and the reason I stick to WAV format) is when you have to use different players for different scenarios (home, car) and you rip (well, duplicate) CDs that have no silence between tracks, because sooooo many players leave a gap (especially older devices), I just make the CD into one giant .wav file with a ,cue file to go with it using EAC. It works great with anything I use to play it, so I don't have to worry about whether the player is smart enough to figure it out. Most of them won't use the .cue file, but whatever, they all play the .wav file.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Short answer: Yes

14. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Oh, you're no fun anymore.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    This might be age related. I have several thousands for music from 78's to digital. Today I was listening to Joe Walsh. Yesterday it was old school Genesis, Watcher of the Skies. I've well over a thousand movies from Cecil B. DeMille epics like The 10 Commandments, Ben Hur, the Omega man, Planet of the Apes. Film noir, Blade Runner, Starwars, every Star Trek movie and the OG series. Every John Wayne movie, Wayne's World. I do not watch the same ones over and over. Maybe it's because I don't watch that many., maybe once a week. That's a long time to sit still. Though you may be on to something with binge watchers.
    Too answer the question, I have an old Dell D620 that I rip CD's using 320kbs MP3. I mean I can tell the difference between the source CD and the MP3 but meh.... Sometimes I prefer the MP3 version at high volume levels. They seem a bit less brittle on the high end. I'm talking about 2000 watt per side RMS though :cool:. Works great for backing tracks..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020

16. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This thread made me remember a meme I made a while back

[​IMG]

17. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Certainly, I still use mp3s on my phone, about 14.000 so far. I don't like streaming as it uses more battery, connection can be temporary lost, it used bandwidth, songs can be removed from the likes of Spotify or I should say even heck... accounts. Mine just vanished into thin air last year and once I logged in I was just a mere number with all the playlists gone.
    With mp3 I get more control from the source too, can collect all the strange rare stuff that is utterly not available in streaming formats. I use 320kbit for everything, it's perfectly suitable for portable in the long run too.

A bigger problem is that most phones have subpar audio which does not even reach 16bit SNR of 96dB and lie somewhere close to 93dB instead which is quite astonishing as my cheap Sansa mp3 player sounds cleaner (I use it for gym, phones are a distraction).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Do you mean Bluetooth portable headphones?

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    No, the phones themselves. I'll reword the original text..

Take the S9 for instance, hardly a cheap phone
    Audio quality Noise -93.4dB / Crosstalk -93.9dB
    https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9-8966.php

Or S10
    Audio quality Noise -92.2dB / Crosstalk -92.7dB
    https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10-9536.php

Or 11 Max Pro
    Audio quality Noise -94.3dB / Crosstalk -81.5dB
    https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_11_pro_max-9846.php

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    That`s one of the reasons I will never hear my music from smartphone.