Are MP3's still a thing?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jbscotchman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Serious question ladies and gentlemen. When it comes to music I am so out of the loop, I assume free file sharing is no longer a thing? When I want to hear a song now days I just type it into youtube. So what is the best (legal) way to download and save music in 2020 ?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    The1 likes this.
  3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't think big sites will allow you download the music, only stream it.

To legally get MP3, I think you should buy CD and make MP3 file yourself. But since you got CD, I think having loseless FLAC file is better, and then convert loose MP3 out of it.
    (Not like majority of people can tell the difference between mp3 320kb and FLAC)

Less known artists might host their music on https://bandcamp.com/ and there you can download music files after purchasing it.

4. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    There's the FLACSTORE

which I've never used LOL Looks a bit dodgy/weird

HDtracks.com is more like it...

There's bandcamp.com where you can support the artist directly...

So there's definitely music you can save out there...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Spotify has successfully made MP3's obsolete, as long as you're supplied with reasonable mobile data connections.
    Same we thought about netflix for movies... we shall see if the people in charge of DRM won't make a big thing about fragmenting the market again with multiple such offerings, then piracy will be on the rise again.

I honestly would prefer to have easy access to my offline library on the phone, since I don't take 8k dick picks or 4k movies on a regular basis... I can use my phone's storage for something useful.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Oh my , hope that mods wouldn't scold me for saying this. Living in the Nix world, some things are like that.
    youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 --write-thumbnail https-of-media-you-want. where MP3 format can be changed to ogg, flac...what you need.

386SX, fantaskarsef and sverek like this.
  7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I remember there were sites that would allow you to download youtube audio. I guess they used this command.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    In reality, you wouldn't image how many sites "allow" this.
    Hint, hint...:cool:;) cough youtube-dl website has the list- cough.

9. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It's not as if you're listing popular torrent sites there...and iirc Youtube downloader is a free app in the Windows Store...lets you do all kinds off stuff like splitting audio from video etc...all those YTD type apps let you do that.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If you absolutely must use lossy compression, M4a with AAC audio

11. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    My main source is Bandcamp. If I can't find it there, I go to the artist site and maybe they provide it directly from there. I also sometimes use https://ototoy.jp. If all fails and I can't find it anywhere, Soulseek is the last resort.

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    You don't even need to go that complex with youtube, you can literally just go "bandname albumname rar" on google and get tons of results

13. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Absolutely recommend just getting a Spotify subscription. It's cheap enough.

If you need a YouTube to MP3 converter - https://youtubetomp3music.com/

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I have no requirements for MP3, I seek RAW WAV files or any non-compressed variant.

Even 'lossless' is still compressed - no interest to me. I got 32-bit soundcard and, my Sony Walkman loves RAW files waaaaay more than MP3's.

Compression is bad and it needs to stop for A/V, got no use for me.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think I still have MP3s on my system somewhere - relics of a bygone era. The thing I most remember about them is the war between distribution companies / artists and Napster. It was a contentious time to be sure (I grew up in the era of cassette tapes and CDs and seen the gradual transformation of the media).

Apple basically made MP3s obsolete with the introduction of the iPod. Now, all music is streamed aside from a few channels. I made the decision to stream my music years ago with Google Music and I'm happier for it - I like the freedom of being able to listen to any song. I've also made my favorites playlist offline so I can listen without a connection.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Storage space isnt a problem with modern players, there is little need to reduce the quality of your audio.
    I play none disc music from my PC so there is no need at all to compress it, full quality all the way baby.

How much you notice the difference between highest quality MP3 and CD (or better) will be down to 4 main things:
    Your own hearing, your speaker/headphone character+quality, your DAC (and amp) character+quality and how the equipment is set up.
    For me, with MP3 there is a loss of ambient information (hearing the environment the recording was made in), loss of focus on instrument/voice position, loss of detail in general, and more...
    The same music with MP3 becomes less engaging and less interesting to listen to.
    As expected, some of the information in the recording has been stripped out.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    The only time I ever listen to .mp3 is when I'm in my car, have a 32gb stick plugged in with all kinds of music on it. Even then, I tend to just play stuff through Spotify in the car more often than listening to .mp3.

At home, I sometimes listen to lossless audio on my headphones but even that is rare.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    compressed lossless is no different to lossless wav.

19. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Yeah, plus the other guy wants lossless but uses a Sony Walkman LMAO. At least I have a dedicated dac/amp and a pair of Hifiman Arya's to jam. With those I can actually hear differences. Mainstream consumer equipment I'm hard pressed to hear differences between 192kbit+ MP3 and FLAC/lossless.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends on the equipment quality (as well as the recording quality).
    The EM noise from processing the MP3 back to PCM can result in minor loss of detail.
    I'm not saying you can hear it on bad equipment though, it has to be very discerning equipment, exposing a lot more than average systems.
    Recording quality stated because many albums were over processed and the very tiny detail wasnt there to begin with.

I know this because my brother and I tested the difference on our Oppo 105s + speakers with ribbon tweeters.
    Some tiny details were missing from FLAC that were there playing the same file converted to WAV.
    It was replicable.
    My brother converted a lot of his collection to WAV because of this.

But the amount of missing detail was so small, and I now use HQPlayers upsampling to extract a hell of a lot more, so if I want to listen to every last mouse whisker movement I use HQPlayer.
    My brother cant do that, he only plays music from his Oppo 205, his PC is in another room.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020