Are Galaxy Fold Phones Breaking Down?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Uh-oh, let's hope for Samsung that this won't be a Note 7 repeating. The past week or so you have been able to read up on Samsung's latest niche gadget, the 2000 USD Galaxy Fold. Several key journa...

Are Galaxy Fold Phones Breaking Down?

2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

airbud7 and Solfaur like this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Better create a phone which can resist the thickness of some "clever" people that tend to put it in their pants back pocket and then sit down.

Brasky, dark_surge and fantaskarsef like this.

5. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    Samsung's response:

"A limited number of early Galaxy Fold samples were provided to media for review. We have received a few reports regarding the main display on the samples provided. We will thoroughly inspect these units in person to determine the cause of the matter.

Separately, a few reviewers reported having removed the top layer of the display causing damage to the screen. The main display on the Galaxy Fold features a top protective layer, which is part of the display structure designed to protect the screen from unintended scratches. Removing the protective layer or adding adhesives to the main display may cause damage. We will ensure this information is clearly delivered to our customers."

6. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Why am I really not surprised at this at all...

7. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    OT: Besides the always reeeally nice reviews from Hilbert(!), all you guys who post tons of funny stuff are the ones who make this site really unique to watch! Normally cryohellinc blows me off the chair, but this time it's Clawedge and Aura89... x'D 'Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!' Cheers

Clawedge likes this.
  8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    funny how many ppl try to tell me they have the best products.
    thats why 80% of owners need to make calls over the speaker (instead of ear on handset).
    really shows how much they care about customer experience...

9. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070

sharp also joining the folding-trend
    with machine flip-test it endure 300k
    it said they also testing inverse flip, so screen flipped inside-out

10. Ben Hendricks

Ben Hendricks Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Mark Gurman you hack. Nice to spread panic journalism for a few hits huh? Love how he can't just report his phone broke down love how he has to suggest that its "Hard to know if this is widespread or not". No crap, how bout you just report the facts without inflating a story for clicks? Journalists are such garbage since clicks have been king.

This site is not much better with that click bait headline. A responsible headline would be "A number of Galaxy foldable review units have broken screens in just a few days."

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  12. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I don't see how asking the question, "Are Galaxy Fold Phones Breaking Down?" is worse than outright saying they are broken with, "A number of Galaxy foldable review units have broken screens in just a few days." Both get you to roughly the same point, but yours says they are broke. Guru's simply asks if there is anything to the reports that others are making. Phone is releasing in 7 days and I would want to know if it has issues before I bought one, so I don't think click bait really applies here. I think of click bait more along the lines of bending the truth to get you into the site vs. trying to get to the bottom of a possible issue that will inform consumers.

G*addict and Solfaur like this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    $1,980 duck bones! .....Looool

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Moving parts is a bad idea to begin with. I wouldn't want it even if I got it for free, I'd instantly sell it incase I would win in some contest.
    Need a bigger screen? Purchase a decent tablet.

Aura89 likes this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The Asian market seems very foreign to me.

16. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    These reviewers are taking off the thin film of plastic from the front of the screen, Samsung explicitly says to leave the film on.

17. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    In Samsungs defense, that protector film is a valid reason... A few years back I would have called this BS, but I actually had a similar experience with my Xperia Ultra. After 6 months of use I one day decided to remove the factory protective film on the screen that was notorious for easily getting scratches. Within that same week after removing it I had it in my pocket (not back pocket) with no other stuff in the same pocket and when I looked again the whole screen was cracked... I’m still baffled up until today how that screen could crack so easily without that protector.

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's more than just that. I've read about some that broke even with that film left on. Not to mention, why would Samsung make a $2,000 phone with a critical film that can be so easily peeled off?

sykozis likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As they were introduced, friend did ask me if I am going to get one.
    I said no for multiple reasons:
    - While I work on phone (Business Applications), I do not need larger screen.
    - Screen ratio of this folding solution is not any better for games/movies.
    - They combat bend damage by adding extra space where display makes larger radius turn which makes phone much thicker.
    - Since I keep phone for some years, I am quite likely to experience fold based damage.
    - Seeing how it is in folded state, I would have nightmares about grain of sand or similar particle making it to flat part of display or fold itself.

If I needed/wanted extra screen space on mobile device/phone, I would get tablet of required size and have it in shoulder bag I use for notebooks... (They have special pockets sized for tablets.)

Bendable displays are great. But implementation in folding phones is bad. I can imagine bracelet phone.
    Bracelet phone would have slightly bendable body to enable taking it on/off. And securing mechanism (strap) would be similar to watches. Except that it would not go outside and over bracelet, but would be under. (close to skin) Or it would use one of other locking mechanisms which take minimal space on outer side.

And funny thing is that this "Bracelet Phone" does not need to be actually phone. It can be just as smart watch connected to any existing phone via BT and serve as full control mechanism... therefore it would not need extra battery for CPU/GPU as all the heavy lifting would still be done by your phone in pocket.

20. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    The articles are behind paywalls so I can't link, however the Wall Street Journal and NY Times non-reviews of the new Samsung fold phones were hilarious:

"The screen is like a Band-Aid you've worn in the shower."

TheDeeGee likes this.