Arctic Silver Adhesive Removall

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by jtc_hunter, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6800gt PCIe, w/ Zalman VF700-cu
    I have a Ti4600 that I stupidly epoxied a crystal orb to w/ Arctic Silver adhesive. Now the orb is starting to work intermittantly and I want to replace it. The problem is the Arctic Adhesive. Can anyone tell me the best way (if any) to safely remove the orb and adhesive without harming my videocard?

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    well there is no safe way to remove the AS epoxy. YOu will end up recking the card, the bond is very strong.
    The best thing you can do is put your card in a ziplock airtight bag, then place it in the deep freezer for 24 hours and after 24 hours take it out and try to remove the ORB. WHat happens is at subzero temp the AS epoxt starts to crystalize and hence bond becomes weak and that is the best time to remove it but mind you no guarantee that it wont reck the card, and yeah it will make cracking noise while comming off.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've done the deepfreeze metod several times, and it works if you do it the right way. You don't need 24hours though, a couple of hours should be enough. Also, make sure that the bags you use aren't leaking! Best thing to do is to use several, I think I used 4 when I did this :p
    Good Luck!

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6800gt PCIe, w/ Zalman VF700-cu
    Thanks, the freezer worked fine. I double bagged it and left it in the freezer for 6 hours. Then grabbed the orb w/ some channel lock pliers and popped it off. Then I used my palm sander w/ some 220 and 400 grit to remove the rest of the epoxy from the core.

5. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    You are one lucky person :)