Arctic Cooling or Cooler Master HSF

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jonbajo, Jun 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    I'm building a gaming rig with an i5-2500k cpu and an asrock z68 mobo. I already own an arctic cooling freezer pro 7 HSF but I'm thinking of buying a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Are they pretty much the same thing or should I buy the Cooler Master? Everyone seems to agree that the Cooler Master is the one to get.

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You can always change later on if you are not satisfied with the performance.

I say wait and see.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've seen good reviews from both coolers on OC'd i5 2500K processors.

The biggest influence on how a CPU cooler performs is case airflow and surface contact. It doesn't matter how many fins or heatpipes a cooler has, if it doesn't make full contact with the processor's IHS.

agreed.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have an e8400 at 4ghz with that cooler. give it a shot.

5. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    I've got the cooler master hyper 212 +

When i'm clock at 4.2 my temp are around 35C idle and around 58C on full load when i play games.

He work very fine and he is not loud very quiet

6. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I had a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ it was ok but I switched to a corsair H100 I will never look back it's a night and day difference if you can fork out the extra mony you will never regret the decision. Any one of the corsair H series would be a great addition to your gaming rig.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    Question about the Arctic Cooler:

I'm going to take the cooler from my current system and use it for my new system. Will I need to buy thermal paste? The Arctic cooler has pre-applied coolant but I'm wondering if that will suffice for my new system.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm going to get one of these:
    http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6809

and change the fan for two of these:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=42&lng=en&set=1

The TPC 812 should do a fair bit better than the Hyper 212 plus, and with that set up be very quiet also. The stock fan on the TPC 812 isn't that good, and fitting a fan on the 'push' side that doesn't interfere with the memory may be an issue. Some users have tried putting the fan in 'pull only', which doesn't actually work. In push mode, the air passes over all the fins because the air is directed. In pull only mode, the air is taken with least resistance, which is from the outer fins directly surrounding the fan. In other words, it won't really work properly. In push/pull, it works because the pull fans sucks out the air blown by the push fan, whilst also reducing resistance for the push fan, hence better air flow, cooler temps.

Note that this is different to the argument for water cooler radiators, since they are quite thin and wide for multiple fans, and the path of least resistance is actually directly through from the other side. In this sense, a pull configuration is potentially better.

In any case, the way you set the cooler up can have a big impact on performance. This is why performance results for fans can vary from site to site. Even when they use better than standard fans, the fans can react differently on different coolers.

I have to admit the Hyper 212 plus is great performance for the price (probably the best performance for that price) but I want something that will really perform even when the room temperature is higher in summer. Its either that or a H100... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  9. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    Yes but my question has to do with needing to re apply thermal coolant when switching my arctic cooling freezer pro 7 from my current rig to a new one. It comes with pre appied coolent at first but will i need more once i switch it from my current rig to a new one? Thanks.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Oh :)

Yes you do! Completely clean off the old compound, apply a good new compound (IC Diamond 24, Antec Formula 7, Artic Cooling MX-4, Noctua NT-H1 etc), and you will be good to go!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I will report on it when I get it... but I won't be upgrading until next month (when I have time to do it)!