Aquariums who has one?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ShadowMyth, Jun 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Not exactly a typical aquarium, but I bought an ecosphere several years ago. It's a closed, self-sustaining ecosystem with small shrimp and needs only sunlight to function (no maintenance or upkeep required). I've had it for over three years now and the shrimp are still alive and thriving. I keep it on my desk in front of my monitor so the algae can absorb the nutritious monitor light ;)

Mufflore and airbud7 like this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Those are great!
    Sort of similarly, I have a 180 Litre cherry shrimp tank in my hall with half the top open to the air so my cat can drink from it.
    (although after a very excited bound out of the living room, a scratchy sliding sound and a frantic scrabble, I wondered wtf had happened. He had jumped up to the tank at speed, slid across the plastic light cover and fell in the open back, LOL. Muppet.)

There are at least 150 adult shrimp (hard work to count!) and billions of fry so small they are tough to notice. It serves to provide cherry shrimp for another tank.
    There are plenty of plants and a moderate flow pump (around £10/year electric)
    Its lit 8 hrs per day with only a 30W LED lamp (87KWh/year, around £10 electric).
    I dont feed the shrimp ever, algae growing on the back wall feeds both the embryonic and adult stages.
    I do however use about 5ml each of 2 plant foods every 3 days to keep the plants healthy and algae on the tank floor gravel to a minimum.
    This is Easy Life Profito 5L @ £35 and Easy Life EasyCarbo 5L @ £50) For this tank they will last 8 years (I use them for another tank as well). Super cheap at approx £10/year for the one tank.
    The gravel gets a sift clean less than once per year and a water top up from the tap when it evaporates enough, approx once per week.

The similarity is the very low maintenance (vs your none) and extremely low running costs (vs your none lol).
    Only £20 a year electric, £10 a year plant food and it looks pretty for almost no effort.
    Cherry shrimp tanks are super easy and cheap to run.

Although I like the zero cost/maintenance of yours, £30 a year for a huge version isnt bad :)

airbud7 likes this.
  3. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I have a fresh water aquarium, I have 3 neons, 2 tiger fish, 2 (cant recall their name) and one beta fish. The beta has not killed any of them yet to my surprise and it has been 2-3 months.

I have pebbles at the bottom and 3 rocks with live moss on them. Used to have more plants, but too much hassle.

I change the water once every two weeks and give the tank a good scrub. Fish a fed once a day so its is quite a low maintenance situation for me.

My tanks comes with some natural filters like charcoal etc to help purify the water and add good bacteria balance. I am just looking to and some snails to it if i can find them. ( they are good for keeping the tank clean)

My beta fish is my favorite. He is bright blue with a blood orange tail. Would love more, but I know they will shred each other if in the same tank.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I use to have fresh water sting rays, very cool. I was moving around alot for a while back when so I gave my tank to a good friend so he could take care of properly.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I used to have Bichirs, Cichlids and Plecs. Some spiny eels too. Been thinking about getting back into the hobby.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Necro - reported.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You must be having one of those days to be this petty.

8. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    Had a tank (still have it) but its dry and empty. Had the most beautiful betta. Sadly it died, but was a joy to stare at and had some nice plants in there too. Its a commitment for sure, not super hard to maintain depending on the size. If you are dedicated it can be a really great and relaxing hobby.

EDIT,

Didn't even realize I have already replied to this thread. So between my original post and now consider that things went down south for me and the fish lol!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020