Application has been Blocked from Accessing Graphics Hardware - Please, please help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MaximumSloth, Oct 20, 2017.

1. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    I have ruled out potential hardware issues - as this issue only occurs on a certain games, randomly.

I can play games such as Battlefront 2 (the beta) no problem, all day. PUBG, no problem, all day. etc., It only occurs on a select few games like - Warhammer and Wahammer 2 (but the screen blinks like it's a TDR crash then comes back and runs fine), For the King, Quake Champions. It also only happens during certain gameplay in Warhammer - like only in the campaign map, or only during gameplay in Quake.

I get an error 4401 stating nvlddkm.sys has stopped responding - in the event viewer, (but that is because the app I am using is being blocked from accessing the card for some reason).

I have tried clean installing windows 10, wiping the drivers and reinstalling (using DDU), analyzing the HDDs, analyzing the RAM, swapping the RAM out, checking the RAM, moving the RAM to different slots, changing the TDRDelay value in the registry, rolling back the drivers, changing the start up options (from fast startup)...pretty much everything I can think of. Still crashes randomly. As far as I can tell, everything shows the hardware is functioning as intended.

I have not tried overclocking my system and I don't believe the card is overclocked.

I have the latest drivers.

I stress tested my system and there was no artifacting and no crashing.

After I reinstalled my drivers yesterday I had no crashes...started up my PC today - crashes started again.

Anyone know of any other solutions? Been happening for a few months now and I am at the point where when it happens, I irrationally want to throw my entire system out the window.

I saw some suggestions online that it could be related to a corrupted file in the registry or something? I got my Windows 10 legitimately.

Also saw some suggestions that my GPU BIOS might need to be updated?

I am at a loss and it is unbelievably frustrating having certain games crash on me every 10 minutes.

Here is a photo of the error (wouldn't let me directly put the photo in here for some reason):

https://imgur.com/a/CATEp

System:
    GPU: GTX 980ti 6gb (EVGA)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz

RAM: 16gb RAM (forgot the manufacturer)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As first use DDU for uninstall drivers and install earlier drivers, some newer drivers doesn't play nice with some games or SW

Due this I still use older drivers as these new drivers sometimes cause lots of headaches

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    With everything you said it could definitely be a power issue.

4. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Any way to check?

If it were a power issue wouldn't the stress test cause it to buckle?

I am also wondering why it would only crash on certain games...that aren't really system intensive...like For the King

5. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Thank you for the response..I tried that already though :(

6. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    How would I do this :D? What program would you recommend?

Sorry I know some about PCs but not tons.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  7. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
  8. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Thanks!

I changed it down -90 (wasn't a -100 option)...we'll see what happens :D

I also noticed my fan speed is super low...would that be causing any issues?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Yup I did that.

Now it's running several degrees cooler.

Only problem is that For the King did not make it run hot...so doesn't seem like that's the issue.

No crashes on Quake yet.

Edit 2: Still no crashes - upped it by 10

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Got the error indicating nvlddkm.sys stopped responding and recovered...clock was -70 (playing Destiny 2).

Didn't overheat, was watching the temperatures - stayed around 68.

11. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    TDR crashing on destiny 2 - even when temperature of my GPU capped out at a whopping....50C...so it's not an overheating issue at least.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  12. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    I already increased the value to 8 seconds in the registry, didn't help :(

I'm checking MSI and the chart showing voltage limit looks like it spikes to 1 then 0 then 1 then 0 a few times before the crash occurs..then down to 0 again and it's staying at 0...does this mean anything?

Also, crashed about 3-5 mins after the spot it crashed at last time.

It's almost like the system is taking power away from the GPU for a few seconds then letting it back in...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  13. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    I will have to check my PSU - I have been launching the games from the GeForce panel and haven't had a TDR Crash yet...strangely enough.

14. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Just got one on Warhammer II....

And Witcher 3...
    ANTEC HCG-900 900W Power Supply

And I am not sure how to unlock the core voltage (won't let me adjust it)...it's all the way down already if that helps any.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  15. overlordmike

overlordmike Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    i had this issue for a few years with a few certain games. which were unplayable bc of it.
    i had tried reinstalling the drivers with ddu, trying previous drivers.. as well as reformating and reinstalling my os. no such luck

but after i installed the fall creators update the issue has been fixed at least so far. dont know how much this helps you in your situation but this is what fixed it for me so thought id share

16. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    So far I don't believe it has been fixed as a result of that update...I will keep you posted.

It's soul crushingly frustrating.

17. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    Still TDR Crashing.

On Warhammer II, the screen goes black for a bit (still getting sound and everything)...then the game comes back.

On Witcher 3, the screen goes brown or blue (not bluescreen of death blue, a light blue) for a second, then black, then the game crashes.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Dump your vbios here, or list the version and your exact model of GPU.

Maybe an update can fix it.

19. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Oh boy...had tons of these issues until I came to terms with the fact that my PSU was kicking on the OCP under load in certain situations. If you have underclocked the core frequency and the problem lessens or goes away, it is very possible it is a power issue.

20. MaximumSloth

MaximumSloth Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX
    https://imgur.com/a/NnJwC
    [​IMG]