1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Application] Color Sustainer - ICC Profile Enforcer

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by yasamoka, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Do you use Color Sustainer in Global mode or in Mode-specific mode (v1.03.1+) ?

1. Global mode

31 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. Mode-specific mode

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. A mix of the two

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Long road ahead... -)

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    How's the programmer life?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Quite interesting life.
    Btw, I have engineering education. After graduation (one of the best technical institute in the country) I should work in space industry, but USSR decided to fall apart and any industry dived deep into nowhere... Luckily programming was part of training (Fortran, PL/1, Assembler - all on mainframes; C and Pascal we studied ourselves when PC started to replace mainframes), and was able to find programmer job.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Wow, interesting. I was recently doing Python for a networking project, then Assembly for another project (parking control system). I started appreciating how C++ just made everything easier coming from Assembly. When you're working with Python, C++ feels so low-level; but when you're working with Assembly, C++ is psht :p

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well, assembly and PL/1 on mainframes were super cool. PL/1 even permitted to use unfinished keywords (e.g. 'contin' instead of 'continue'). But for last 4 years my brain belongs to C#.

6. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    When I browse and associate profile it turns red. Does it have to be in a specific location or avoid some characters to work?

edit* so I read thread and someone else had the same problem. I guess it's just the icc profile im using isn't compatible

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Hey there, you'll find the workaround in post #48.

8. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    Just wondering something I know it has a built in blue profile would it be possible to tweak it so it acts as a blue filter? not sure if it works that way.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What do you mean exactly? If you want a blue profile that completely displays blue without any other shades whatsoever, then Windows blocks that from happening. Windows only allows setting a color profile with a maximum of half the absolute maximum values of the R, G, B values. The range is from 0 --> 65535 so you cannot have your maximum mapping below 32768 for Red and Green.

10. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    Is this true?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039600314&postcount=11

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

11. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 SC 3GB x2
    I have a lot of trouble getting color sustainer to auto load at windows start. I've had it working before, on Nvidia. I've had it working at startup on a single 290x as well, but since I went to an MSI 295x2 and a fresh windows 8.1 install it doesn't seem to let color sustainer create a startup entry or whatever it normally does. Any advice? Using AMD 14.4 WHQL

BTW I really like your program and I recommend it regularly. Thanks very much for the app.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    8.1 is sometimes picky in what it allows to run at startup, so make sure program runs as administrator. You can also try creating an entry for it in task scheduler to run at startup with elevated privileges.

13. mmk92

mmk92 New Member

GPU:
    650M 4GB DDR3
    This application helped me A LOT!! There is no alternative to this application anywhere! 10/10 will donate! Great work well done

14. ahson

ahson New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 Ti
    I tried the workaround method as Color Sustainer gave me red button when I tried to load couple profiles. When I tried to do the workaround in CMD with dispwin [directory of my profile], it gave me an error message says Can't open file 'directory'. Please help!

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    We need more details. Screenshots would be great. Try to change the directory of the profile as it may be somewhere dispwin does not have permissions to access, or you're entering the directory incorrectly.

16. ahson

ahson New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 Ti
    Here's the screen shot. Maybe I did something wrong there? I also changed the directory to somewhere else but same thing.

17. ahson

ahson New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 Ti
    Oops it needs me to up my post count to 3 before I can link my uploaded screen shot. Give me 1 sec!

18. ahson

ahson New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 Ti
    There you go!

[​IMG]

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    You need to specify the file directory of the ICC profile, not the folder directory. Go for D:\Test\x.icm (where x is the name of the ICC profile) and you should be good to go!

To all: Added a link in OP to a post I wrote explaining some aspects of color management.

20. ahson

ahson New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 750 Ti
    Does it has to be a .icm file? The one that I got is from TFT Central - Asus PB278Q http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/asus_pb278q.icc

When I tried to run the dispwin command with that profile, it says the file is not a valid ICC profile or Argyll .cal file.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014