Apple to launch a 31.6-inch 6K monitor based on mini LED

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    Being Apple of course "It's not a device, it's a fashion statement!".
    "The product will occupy a “very high-end position” in the market" == sell both your kidneys in order to buy it and live on life support for the rest of your life.

Neo Cyrus and emperorsfist like this.
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Let's not make comments like this please, thanks.

airbud7, SamuelL421 and RzrTrek like this.
  4. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    As I understand it, the price on Apple Cinema Display monitors was so high because they had very strict standards. A lot of the panels that were good, but didn't quite measure up were repackaged into cheap-o monitors by Korean companies and sold on eBay (Catleap, QNIX, etc.). Not sure if it's still a thing, but this is why there were so many 27" monitors for $300 back when Apple was selling theirs for $800ish.

So if that situation is repeated, the "almost good enough" units might be sold off cheap, if you're willing to take a little risk by ordering a monitor off ebay from Korea.

alanm and SamuelL421 like this.

5. robintson

robintson Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    "Likely the resolution will match the price" , or the price will match and catch the resolution, most probably :)

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580, MESA 20.0.3
    We need at least one. :D

7. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    not to buy is an option, save your kidneys, be smarter.

8. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    Some of the "Wasabi Mango" monitors were supposedly rejects from high end brand - not necessarily Apple, but similar in the sense that you could pay half the money for serviceable panel that didn't quite meet the standards of some OEM. This was the case a few years ago anyway, that company may not do this anymore or may source their own panels now - do you homework before hunting for a deal.

Same goes for the Apple monitor quality, I can attest they were excellent back when I used them regularly - maybe 6-7+ years ago. Those cinema displays needed little calibration to stay within color accuracy for our design workflow. That said, I can't speak to the current models. I'd like to think quality hasn't slipped regarding their screens... but Apple doesn't seem to have much interest in professional or business users anymore so it's hard to say.

9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Where's 8K? lol

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, Apple has very high standards when it comes to displays. Still have a glossy Catleap in my 2nd rig, which I believe uses the same panel as the 27" Cinema display. Zero dead pixels, near perfect expect for a slight hint of bleed in lower right corner. Even a slight imperfection like that is enough for Apple to reject such a panel, as they insist on A+ graded panels. A- is what a lot of the Korean knock-offs use. Qnix used PLS units, which were Samsungs high end units, whom also required high grade A+ panels. Anything less was sent off to the Korean budget display makers.

SamuelL421 likes this.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Pointless resolution for this size.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I'd like to see mini/micro/whatever LEDs to become mainstream so we can get less fake HDR. I'm super happy with my Acer XF270HU (144Hz, 1440p, IPS) until I look at anything black, and for someone who watches space stuff, I see a lot of black. Still, most of us probably don't realize just how much the black levels of LCDs have improved. I didn't until I put my old monitor (also 1440p IPS) side by side with it. I don't know if I'd give up the colours/viewing angles of an IPS for deeper blacks on a VA.
    Of course, we all know Apple don't go for functionality, they go for... um... what their fans consider prestige I guess.

EspHack and emperorsfist like this.
  13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    This seems excessive, but then again it's Apple, so it's par for the (very expensive) course.

I mean, he isn't wrong. Apple became (through it's own schemes) a fashion statement in the mobile area, and this simply is a continuation of the trend.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Hilbert must do this on purpose time to time for comedy factor :D
    It is not mini, but micro-LED.

or did I miss something?

15. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Even rtx titan can't handle this one.
    So no thanks.

16. Boavista

Boavista New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT 1030
    You missed reading the actual article.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, article talks about mini-LED everywhere (except statement that mini is not micro), but image states clearly micro-LED or uses "μ" which stands for micro. That's quite some disconnect.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The purpose of monitors with this kind of resolution is so you can edit native 4K HD footage and have enough resolution for an interface around it.

Prince Valiant and Fox2232 like this.
  19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    tittle got me real excited, apple is finally gonna move the needle all the way! jumping over OLED even! but oh no, its just more LCD tricks

20. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Will probably base on microLED.