Apple sues Psystar

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by SirLink, Jul 16, 2008.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
  2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    "sigh" not another one :p

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I wonder what took them so long. The news that Psystar was selling and installing OS X on non-Apple hardware is quite old already.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Imagine Microsoft suing companies into oblivion for selling Windows computers not manufactured by Microsoft. I'll never understand how Macs are so popular, but whatever that's aside from the point, enjoy your $4000 1.8GHz Core 2s with OSX, Mac fans.

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Haha, fireknight with your biased rant.... HAHAHA always makes me laugh( end of sarcasm)

6. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I went to Apple's website to see what 1.8ghz Core2's I could build and their servers are all quad core Xeons 3.2-2.6ghz with 1TB hard drives but still under the $4000 price tag. The only 1.8Ghz Core 2 I could find was the MacBook Air which the price was $2,598.00 - expensive, but light mobile and most importantly less than $4000.

If you are going to insult Mac owners or the Apple business please use either subjective phrases like "too expensive" or the actual dollars amounts that their products cost. There is plenty to find fault with, but at least you could be accurate or at best offer subjective opinions that cannot be effectively quanitative.

edit** I have not ever, nor plan to own an Apple computer.

Back to the story
    Ouch, not only do I not know if this is actually legal (can Apple really force consumers to return their PCs? even studying criminal justice I can't answer it). It's also somewhat asinine for Apple to do.
    I find this pretty interesting. They have a huge case against them, but I suppose is this is their 'trump card' for defense.

7. IriSh`

IriSh` Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950 256MB
    I was surprised this didn't happen much earlier to be honest. I wonder if Psystar will attempt to defend itself? The only problem with that is it seems Apple has as many lawyers as it does engineers.

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Recall those PC's? haha they must be joking.

I doubt apple can do that, and why have they got problems with this anyway?

9. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    stop making the smart guy mr. fancy pants. the guy was only joking but he was right ON that MACs are overpriced bigtime.

10. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Apple won't distribute their OS on non-mac hardware because they don't want to spend the coin to update their software to be more compatible.

They will easily win this case, but I will continue to refuse Mac until they unlock the chastity belt on their OS. It's pretty annoying to have to troubleshoot Mac issues at work when we can't install the OS legally on our machines here.

Aside from that, I have no argument on any of the companies for what they do since I clearly can't control their marketing or their customers. Just pouring some salt on the wounds.

11. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    I really don't think Apple realizes the massive logistical failure that such a recall would become. Who would reimburse the customers, and how? Certainly not Psystar, after having given all of their money to Apple in this lawsuit. And does Apple honestly expect to get all of Psystar's customers to return their machines?

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    No, because they want to make their software as stable as possible, and it works very well because they know all the hardware they use and make sure it works on everything.

They're still not that much more expensive than something Dell or HP offers.
    And comparing them with something you build is stupid, of course it's going to be cheaper. It's moronic to think it wouldn't be.

13. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Agreed... An people wonder why windows is so unstable an prone to crashes...

What I find interesting is that apple let this company go so long... Even funny had they left it at desktops, they might have gotten away with it... I think they invited trouble by then selling servers...

No there is a greater worry about the damage that can happen to the Apple name...