Apple Plans to Use Its Own Chips in Macs From 2020, Replacing Intel (Bloomberg)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by D3M1G0D, Apr 2, 2018.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...to-move-from-intel-to-own-mac-chips-from-2020

I still remember when Apple moved from PowerPC to x86. I know Apple is becoming more competent in their CPU designs, but this still seems like a big step. Can't say that I'm too surprised though - they've begun designing their own GPUs as well, and Apple's known for their tight software and hardware integration. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.

Edit: Note that this is just rumor - nothing's been confirmed yet.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I would like to see them play Far Cry 5 on that!

PC Rules!

3. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    They have done this as the Right to Repair Bills are being passed, Apple wants to control who can and who cant repair there items. I can say its a dick move by a company who seems to always make these moves.

Brasky likes this.
  4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Or considering the security vulnerability Intel has had come to light in the last few months they want to try and make their computers "secure" again. Their user base are sheep for that.

CalculuS and jaggerwild like this.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Can’t say I care too much as I don’t use Macs but software will be a problem for them if they really move away from intel.

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    wouldnt touch an apple product with a barge pole.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    This would drive a huge ditch for compatibility. It's already quite the hassle to get some programs working on macs.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It'll be interesting for us to watch, and it'll force Intel to be less stingy with what they offer in the PC market.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    My father is a photographer so he has always used macs, but last year he was looking to upgrade his mac and the prices for the high end ones now just put him off entirely so I built him a nice PC with a big monitor and he has never been happier.

Best part is I can upgrade it for him and if anything goes wrong I can fix it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Creation software for PC has come a long way in the past years, or it’s been stagnant on Mac. Either way Apple does not have a stranglehold on that segment anymore.

KissSh0t likes this.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very interesting if true. Apple will probably need to make some kind of x86 emulator for those uses who still use x86 based software just like they did with PowerPC when they switched to Intel.
    Plus Apple always uses hardware that has been on the market for a few years so they are always behind everyone else.
    I remember in the past when there were vulnerabilities for all 3 OSes (Linux,Windows,MacOSX) It took Apple a very long time to create a patch/fix for the problem while Linux and Windows were all ready patched. So I don't think Apple cares about Security.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    This. :D

Yet I have to admit, I want to see Intel bleed. Maybe they have to offer a little bit more in the future to keep their business and not lose on it on both ends, with macs (which I have no reason to buy personally) and AMD stealing their pies from Intel's window.

insp1re2600 likes this.