Apple iPhone 5? Nope. It's the 4S

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by PhazeDelta1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Really? Features like what?

2. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    Leave design alone.
    This time apple is behind competitors by 6 month.
    look at Galaxy S II, Look at Sensation. (GSII was released 6 moth ago)
    they offer better specs than 4S which is gonna be released this month.
    One can argue what do i mean in better specs. these ara: bigger screens, AMOLED in case of GSII, dual LED flash (Sensation), more processing power 1.2GHz Dual Core CPUs, while 4S is using underclocked A5 (probably 800-1000MHz), HDMI ports, and then it continues on software side, Android, Flash, customization, open source, so on.
    Some may give advantage to iOS5 over Android, ok. Some may say we don't need dual cpu's with high frequencies and powerful GPUs. ok.
    Why the hell are you paying so much for a device that lacks all this things and it's production is much much more cheaper, by paying this price you just pay for Apple's marketing campaign that is working really good.

Soon we are going to see Quad Core tablets and Phones based on Nvidia's Kal-El CPU/GPU. Nvidia is working hard with manufactures and software developers to bring awesome gaming experience to mobile devices, check out Lost Planet 2 demos and others. While Tim cook is showing at his presentation Infinite blade 2... come on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9RO-GAKjE&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
  4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Guys,

Y U NO LEAVE IPHONE ALONE :D

but for real, find something better to bash the phone. what ever happens. iphone 4 looks most stylish phone out there.. i have a galaxy 2 too and sorry but still comparing to iphone4 i have, it looks cheap and simple plastic.

and did u guys read the IOS5 features? amazing.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The s2 looks fantastic imho. Massive screen, super thin, classy. What ios features bigtime? It's the second time features have been mentioned here, can you tell us what you mean?

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Except from the new home screen locker, there's nothing THAT amazing on iOS 5. Android does many of those "new" features as is like Notification Centre which has been done on Android for the longest time.

deltatux

7. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

lmfao

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    For iphone, it is amazing. :)

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    we are all talking about specs and saying the S2 and sensation owns because of the higher clocks and ram etc, but.. someone know what gpu is using this new iphone? sadly, but google says it can sweep the floor with the "elite" on android side, and im sure i dont have to tell this forum what important a gpu is :p

maybe the iphone will never be my phone(and for some gurus here) but they have good things too, all i would want is the "phone-less" version called "ipod touch" that i love so much for browsing and chating in my bed because how simple it is ^^

10. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    if it had 4 lte it would be the best phone ever

11. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    We're not sure yet but unaffiliated tech sites are guessing the CPU will be underclocked to 800-1000mhz for battery life and 512mb of RAM.

12. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I still do not understand why Apple insist on:

No Memory Card Support.....

No removable Battery............

I mean come on Guys!!!

in my eyes the best thing about this 4S, is the GPU.... if its as good as they say, it will be pretty decent, but on the flipside of that. The way Nvidia are champing at the Tegra Chips, i can only see Apple's Plus points being very short lived...

And a nice wee read here too about the present situation

13. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Didn't Hong Kong have problems with fake apple shops popping up all over the place? Wouldn't that mean 4 of the 5 iphones owned are fake?

14. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    nothing special in SGX543MP. of course it is powerful GPU but that is same GPU as in Galaxy S I (not II) just with little bit higher clocks.
    In Galaxy S II we have Mali-400 which is much more powerful than 543.
    an we are comparing it to a phone that came out 6 month ago. look for Nexus Prime and phones Based on Nvidia's Kal-El CPU/GPU.
    Nvidia is highly interested in developing new mobile gaming segment, so they are working closely with google on android side an manufacturers such as Asus which will be first to feature quad core Kal-El. again I'll repeat look at Lost Planet 2 demo running on Android, it's amazing, just get regular HDMI cable and play it on HD screen. also upcoming ShadowGun, insane visuals...
    Right now I don't see any advantage of Iphone having 543 GPU inside, the only thing that is using it is Infinite blade 2 that the were talking about at presentation which is nothing special same Unreal Engine 3.

15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Even my trusty wake up clock, also knowns as Nokia N80, has features Apple guys/gals can only dream of.

17. pleshy

pleshy Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    I don't want to get into an argument, I'm not a fanboy or anything, but all people saying that iPhone 4S' specs are worse than those of Android phones don't know what they're talking about. I'll elaborate.

Galaxy S II uses an Arm A9 CPU along with an Arm Mali-400 MP GPU.
    Apple's A5 chip (iPad 2, iPhone 4S) has the very same CPU (albeit clocked 200MHz lower) coupled with an Imagination PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU. Don't be fooled, the difference between the GPUs is quite significant - the PowerVR is about 4 times faster apart from having a more sophisticated architecture. Technically speaking, the raw performance difference is about 2.4 times, however, real-world performance and OS optimizations tip the scales in favor of the A5 even further. It's even faster than nVidia's Tegra 2. Both devices have 1GB of memory.

Note that the A5 is very similar to what drives the to-be-released PlayStation Vita. The portable console is configured with more cores (3 on the CPU and 4 on the GPU), therefore it's faster but the core tech is the same.

I read somebody's post complaining about the 4S not having a dual-led flash. Really? Come on... All LED flashes suck, big time. The technology is simply not suited for photography. If I had to make a call, I'd bet on 4S' flash being less crappy than most others, dual or not. Anyway, that's not important at all. What matters is the actual module. I won't get much into it but the tech behind it is promising. Also, most people forget something very important - phone cameras rely heavily on post-processing (on a software level) and Apple has done a tremendous job there so far. Video recording looks very well thought out too.

Please, don't get all worked up - I'm simply providing information for the sake of objectivity. People can hate on Apple all they want, that's fine by me - I take neither side. However, it doesn't hurt to do your research before you express an opinion.

That being said, I agree that the 4S is kind of disappointing but that's only because everybody was expecting an iPhone 5. Don't worry, it'll come soon enough too. What Apple did actually makes sense. Their approach with the iPhone seems to be similar to that of Intel and their tick-tock routine. After each major iteration follows an updated version rather than something completely new - it happened with the 3GS too, remember? Consider something else - would you say a hypothetical iPhone 5 without 4G support is a true successor? Neither would I. Currently, it's physically impossible to fit a 4G module into an iPhone's compact footprint even if you ignore the ridiculous battery drain. That will soon change - the first "true" LTE 4G chips which support talk are to ship in early Spring.

P.S. Please, do give credit to the people behind Siri - it's truly an amazing technological achievement to be celebrated among linguists around the world. I understand that most people don't get it and actually, they don't have to but don't take it for granted. It's a scientific achievement that has to do a lot with language - notoriously difficult matter.

18. Ish

Ish Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    A little off topic, but did I just read that the IPHONE4S has 1gig of RAM? more than a PS3/xbox360???

I get a free upgrade to an IPhone 4s... Maybe i'll get it

19. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    That's nothing new, lots of high-end phones have 1 gig of RAM now. SGSII has had that for months.

20. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I guess that was composed by an Apple hater?

BTW, the iPhone 4 does can be used as a HDTV remote. In fact i do exactly that with my i4 and my Samsung SMART TV.