1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPad announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Even if you could get an external keyboard to work for it why would you want to? You'd basically just have a regular old laptop then. Why pay more to do less..... ohh wait, this is Apple's world where all their products do that.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Gimme a tablet with Maemo 5 or upcoming Maemo 6. This poor thing is just way too limited for a tablet. If Steve thinks that this is revolutionary device for internet browsing he obviously haven't used Nokia N900 - not a big surprise though. :D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  3. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Such an odd device. I know people will buy it - and they'll probably buy it in droves - but I can't see who they're aiming at. I'm a fairly typical person with a keen interest in computers. If I want something handheld for information/the net/media I have my smartphone. If I want more features on the go I have a netbook; I can (and do) use it for word-processing, the internet, media and more - in the summer I used it to do writing in the garden with Spotify playing my favourite music and MSN keeping me distracted. On top of that it was an absolute steal at £150 (admittedly it was on offer with a decent amount off). I can use my smartphone as a router and thus use my netbook online out and about thanks to my mobile tariff.

So... The iPad is too big to fill the handheld niche and too useless to fill the netbook niche...?

Ebook readers are slowly, slowly becoming more appealling but most of that appeal is down to the e-ink display; very comfortable on the eyes and a battery life of weeks, not hours. Ebooks on a standard screen on a fragile-looking device with a battery that won't last a day? Where's the appeal?

I realise that every company is profit-driven but you start to get the feeling that Apple's product designers are aimed solely at making products to sell to the "uninformed masses" (for want of a better term) instead of making a device with the technical chutzpah to give people a reason to sit up and take notice of it.

If this device had been released by some unknown Chinese manufacturer it would likely have been dismissed yet the fact it's been churned out by the folks at Cupertino mean people forget about its shortcomings and honestly, that's a shame. In just the same way that many ingenious devices have been pushed aside by the steam-roller publicity of the iPod and iPhone there's probably going to be a wealth of devices left in the gutter thanks to the iPad's marketing budget.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Uh wouldn't that then push the device more firmly in to netbook territory and then at that point you have a lower scale PC vs Mac war going on with all the associated issues that are current amongst desktop Mac vs PC arguments.

I was having this 'debate' (I say debate it was more me saying the guy was an idiot for wanting to use one of these for downloading his Uni manuals on to.) So on that basis how quickly is using that touchpad going to get tedious if you're trying to use the Ipad for studying, especially complex text books that often require the user to back and forth through various chapters?

As a general device, it will have been mentioned but I'll say it again, IPad = very big Ipod Touch, what kind of muppet wants an Ipod touch that they CAN'T carry in their pocket??

5. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    That's wrong, you can run four apps at the same time on that thing while on the iPad you can run only one.

6. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    See the iphone is still a pretty good mobile, pricey, but when it came to me buying an ipod and a new phone I just went ahead, said sod it, and got an iPhone. Seems apple are thinking they are gods gift to technology, and believe what ever they release will sell. Sadly, this will probably actually do well -_-

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i prefer my multi touch TX2z.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I would agree.. I cannot see how anyone, especially those with iphones or ipods would ever invest in this.

once again it would appear that Apple is just trying to make a killing off of their name and flashy marketing gimmicks. They say they were super tight lipped about this device before their big announcement for the purpose of "secrecy".. which I would take as a way of saying "to surprise people" with some new 'wow-factor' device, but in reality its probably much like why some devs do not make a demo for their game and release little info about it.. because people would see right through it ahead of time and it would lose lots of momentum.

I love my iphone. I really really love it. And really, despite their nice laptops, there isn't much else to like about Apple... typically overpriced technology wrapped up in gooey packaging.

10. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    The thing about the stone slab though is that if you get bored with it, you can hurl it at someone and do major damage. The iPad looks like it'll snap in two if you glance at it wrong.

I seriously hope this does not sell well.. but seeing as how its Apple and anyone with more money than they know what to do with must have one of their products, there will probably be a large following. I just don't get why they are releasing a tablet device so long after the popularity of tablets has waned. Aside from targeting the ebook reader crowd, this thing just looks mostly useless. But maybe thats just me.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Awesome post.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The iPad is what you get when your iNag won't shut up.

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Everything I was going to say myself. So I think this deserves quoting in full!

There really is no market for this thing. I don't know how this could possibly have a better Pros:Cons ratio than an eBook for the eBook market like Finch believes, or the netbook market like some people will think this replaces. It's stuck in the middle with none of the benefits of either niche.

14. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    All they would have had to do was allow multiple applications running at the same time. My blackberry can play music and browse the web at the same time, why wouldn't this be able to?

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ especially since an Iphone can do that.. play music and surf at the same time. For this thing to not be able to?? Step back?

Just a really weird product all around.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    No, it also needs to be capable of Flash and/or multitasking. And have some USB ports for God's sake. All well and good that your Blackberry can play music and browse the web, but this is over four times the size, so it needs a damn bit more than being able to multitask.

17. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    yeah, Here's what I said on page 1 about downsides, but flash and multiple programs are the biggest imo.

reasons netbooks >> iPad

flash,
    USB ports for God's sake,
    physical keyboard,
    multitasking,
    hulu video support,
    MS office,
    music while web browsing,
    tabbed browsing,
    faster performance,
    more software options,
    lower price in most cases,
    memory card slot,

18. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    knowing apple. they'll probably just release the IPad that can run multiple apps on newer "gen" of it and then leave the owners of the previous gen buying it again lol. $kaching$

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Just so everyone knows, there are USB ports that can be used on the Ipad...

With an adapter of course lawlz.

I would fit this more in the ipod touch/iphone category. But just a whole lot bigger than both of them. It wouldn't had been so bad if it had like a dvd drive in it at least!

20. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    i'm getting 3G model!!! With new apps this thing will blow every tablet on the market... just like iphone did.

3G for 14.99 to 29.99 no contract cancel anytime that's a damn goood deal!

the prices is ok.. $629.99 for 16Gb when the first iphone came out 8GB model was rocking @ $599.99 and they still rocking at 500 to 600 bucks and up for Unlocked 3gss

So i think this is fair... and thanks god no stupid subscription with at&t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.