Apple Blocks Steam Link app from App Store

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2018.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    lol 3 major decision against steam in 1 week... (VR, game editor and now apple)
    the wind is against steam it seam.

On other hand despite being one of the most popular steam is also the worse portal service (even origin service is better right now) it nearly havent changed since many years.

2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    iOS and iphones are weak who cares anyway, I would choose my trusty old XZ1 anytime against any iphone and I cannot wait to return it for a whole new XZ2 Premium (I held myself up from buying simple xz2). Apple cannot touch android devices anywhere to be honest.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It's not the only time that Apple made stupid decisions. They have made quite a lot of them. One including their later model Laptops. If the Wireless card goes bad and Apple refuses to fix it and some how you out-source for a new one and solder it back on to the motherboard and if by some miracle that works then it will need to be reprogrammed to get it to work with the laptop. Plus if you try to use a USB WiFi dongle it does not work with the Itunes Store without some sort of Hackintosh workaround. I can go on and on but I will stop before I put a wall of text.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    On what grounds? Just because Apple provide a service doesn't mean anyone and everyone has the right to use it and while Valve may be happy to let any man and most likely the game designed by that man's dog on to their store front doesn't mean Apple has to allow Valve's software on theirs.

Opens Steam and looks at contents of Steam Direct....

um are you sure about that?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    With Android, privacy is almost non-existent. iOS is actually more secure and has more privacy measures in place.

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    UK foreign officials are told not to use I phones abroad on business because they are not secure.

So even if what you said is true, which i'm not sure it is, you're just saying this sieve has smaller holes than that sieve.

7. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Why do you care? Why should I care? This crap with personal data protection and privacy, GDPRs and trash of all kind. I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. Do you people? Get a meaning of life or stop being criminals/pirates/hackers/thieves etc.

Aura89 likes this.
  8. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    What I really don’t understand is that Teamviewer can remotely stream your whole desktop and on the same network it will stream games flawlessly... How are they allowed, but Steam not????

9. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    Apple is garbage anyway Steam is better than that

insp1re2600 likes this.
  10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Can't you root Android phones and stick alternate software on them, software I assume that you could tweak to make them less, well spying on everything you do, were as with Iphone you're stuck with whatever Apple gives you.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Have you actually tried to stream a game over TeamViewer on a LAN?

xIcarus likes this.
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why should anyone care about their own privacy or security? Google has a defense contract with the US Gov't. That alone should worry people....

jdc2389 likes this.
  13. jdc2389

jdc2389 Member Guru

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Don't argue with him he's always got something embarrassingly stupid to say. Lmao

14. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Are the men in black going to show up at my door? Are they going to hire hitmen to kill me? What am I supposed to be so terrified of here being 1 person out of 7 billion people and trillions of data packets per second?

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Only if you're paranoid.

We're simply supposed to be afraid of everything and therefore if we can think of something bad about something, then we should convince everyone that it must and will happen. Progress does not get made due to the fear of what progress brings.

I do not buy into this fear-based nonsense. No good decision was ever made because of the fear of what might come, caution? sure, but caution is not what is being touted here, fear is.

16. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Do you mind providing us your credit card number and security code? :)
    Oh, and share with us your camera folder, I would love to see your family, wife and children faces.

And your full name and address? Don't be shy, share with us.

17. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    How can you tell that without knowing what's running behind?

I do own iPhone 6 Plus, but I never gonna say it's better or more secure than any other OS. At least you know what is going on with Android.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Your first statement is outright bullshit and your second one lacks evidence, but is debatable if you're talking about the stock versions of both OSes.
    If you really want privacy you'll want a rooted Android phone with a custom ROM. You can't get better than that.

And I hope you know that trusting a closed system with privacy is always going to be fundamentally shaky.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Steam Link works from anywhere. All you need is VPN. Any half equipped modern router has built-in VPN and DynDNS, so you set up your cellphone once, and you are always able to get into your VPN.

I tested Steam Link today from office. Setup 5Mbps, medium quality 1080p encoding...
    60fps, small lag (Like older LCD TV w/o Game/PC mode). I did not take any BT controllers or OTG cable. So only touch for mouse and keyboard.

If you start connection in desktop mode, there is issue with mouse positioning. Therefore starting in "Big Picture" is way to go for now.

sverek likes this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Nothing is secure in modern cellphone technology. Background update pushing is biggest security hole ever made.
    You connect to infected public coffee network for internet and then you have your "update" spyware.
    That's how you unlock iPhone in case you are NSA and Apple refuses to do it.