Apple bans Blu-ray from Macs: Discs are 'holding us back'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Oct 30, 2012.

1. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    i dont really care, haven't touched or seen a blu-ray disc before. then again i suppose not everyone has the luxery of fibre optics. :I

2. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    How did this thread get a title that is an out and out lie? Apple has banned nothing, it's not like you can't plug your own optical drive into the USB port.

3. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    How are people going to buy movies in a real store and watch them at home if all disc digital media goes away? Back to VHS cassettes? I hope you realize how many people use them outside of computers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. Axkingz

Axkingz Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4000 / GT 650M
    I see the point in removing the optical drive on portable machines, but on desktops and all in ones as the iMac is just ridiculous to make it thinner. I use a MacBook Pro retina myself, and I don't miss the optical drive inside the laptop. I have an external one that I so far only used to install the Office package.

I think most people watch Blu-Rays on their home cinema though a dedicated player anyways.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    With a hard copy you have it. If you have to download it, it will be through ******ing or a time limited download (very possible), not a once-off download.

In any case, it means you effectively have to pay for it twice. You pay for the license, and your pay for the internet bandwidth used.

The 'bell-curve' will apply to internet price vs performance vs time. It will get progressively cheaper meaning everyone will end up using the 'cloud', and then it will become more expensive again because it can, you have no choice, as companies chase higher profits.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The fact is that disc media is going to be phased out; not for a while though. This December, all the major music lables are ditching the cd format finally. Far enough ahead, thumb drives will be phased out as well. Cloud based usage and subscription based access is where it is all heading.

All this posturing is to move the whole economic model forward: Consumerism. Like it or not, the global economy can not expand if people do not ditch their "old" equipment for new. Quality is an outdated mode of thought. Discs last too long. Just need to make something that lasts six months to a year and have it as close to 100% recyclable as possibe. That's the only way consumerism works; need to keep buying new items to replace "old", "outdated" items.

Floppies were phased out due to compact discs. CDs were eventually replaced by dvds. Discs, USB sticks, all physical media will be eventually replaced by the "cloud".

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Ban ? As far as i know you can still use an external USB DVD/Blu ray drive.

This said i can't recall the last time i used the DVD drive in my PC. It was a long time ago ...

8. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Lol! Smapple

9. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I have Time Warner Cable here in SoCal and we don't have data caps. From my understanding, TWC only has data caps in a few select areas (probably because there is zero competition from other providers there)

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Have not had a disk player in my PC for about 2 years now.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I highly doubt well see the demise of Disks anytime soon though as Sony are still upping the capacity on their Blu-Ray media.

Mind you I think the next big release game for PC should be released on a large capacity Floppy just for a laugh, see how many people got out and get a Floppy drive.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Apple just won't support it at all if you have any issues with the disk drive, or won't release software that would work with it or keep it updated. Now it would be banned if apple just flat out did not accept even external drives. Thread title is a tad misleading...

Now I'll say this, I agree with apple. I love the idea of flash storage, no moving parts, no heat produced(these drives don't produce that much heat anyway, it's the hsf that does), and uses less power. Does have less chance of failure since there is no moving parts, but apple acts like these fail like every other day, which they don't fail too much, and if they do they're cheap and easy to replace too. Flash memory still costs more than disc memory, but doesn't require a drive to read it. Just a USB port, which is smaller and a lot cheaper and ******lined seeing that the motherboard has the USB controller and ports, and cases usually have extra ports to expand on.

Overall, I think apple is on the right track, but I can understand why some people protest. But then I think of the move from VHS to DVD, so not that big of a deal. Convert your media or buy it brand new on the new platform!

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    doubled

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Movies wont be full quality audio or video though, they will be compressed to reduce download bandwidth/time and storage.
    Its a backward step imo until flash storage becomes so cheap that its cost doesnt matter or very fast free networks and strea-ming services are the norm.

It will get even worse when 4K TVs take off and Blu Ray disks & movies double or quadruple in size.
    They are way too early doing this.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i have the W7 x64 installation in a USB stick as @AndreasGuido said, it is faster, smaller and away more robust than any disc

thats the point, they are going to die too, no more movie stores wasting space and time

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That right there is say's it all.

Also, this is just Apple's view on things we're talking about, not the whole industries (incase some people have not read the main artical on pg.1 - It happens:)).

17. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Apple sure know what they're doing.

/Sarcasm.

18. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    It's just a mirror of the music industry, with quality standards steadily increasing for decades until everyone decided to standardize a compressed format. It's still hard to find audio online that matches the quality of a now stagnated format released in the 80's. It's even worse with video however, because the quality standards are still progressing, so not only do downloaded movies have to match lossless 1080p, but they will have to play catch up to next resolution standard.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I still use Blu-ray Media.....25GB for $1, Hard to beat the price...

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Next thing you know people will be selling cloud user accounts filled with programs to people! Long live cd/dvd/blue-ray etc !