Apple bans Blu-ray from Macs: Discs are 'holding us back'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Oct 30, 2012.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/homecinema/apple-bans-blu-ray-from-macs-discs-are-holding-us-back-50009616/
    Yeah, ok - So you want to pay for my broadband bill of 15Gb+ for full 1080p Blu-ray quality movie, oh and you've got your Retina displays doing the rounds now so what are you going to store your 2880 x 1800p sized movies on - Removable Hard Drives with proprietary plug at the special i-price of $80+ a pop. Also the price diff when comparing Apples 16gb version of iMeToo's to the 30Gb kinda says it all. iMiss Jobs, he'd know what to do.

Note: I dont hate Apple, just there i-dea's.

I dont think we're there yet when comes to the price, infrastructure, speed and Broadband capacities to drop physical media. The price of HD's are still through the roof in NZ coz of the Happend ages ago flooding in Tawain.
    And dont know about the rest of you on Guru3D, but the whole idea of ******ing a movie on the go with your Ipad/Vita/Cell Phone using Wifi when out and about is absolutely a no go due to the cost vs bandwidth and simply a lack of a Movie service.

Ok, so S-T-R-E-A-Ming is a naughty word is it?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    New iMac?

*goes to apple site*

oh wow, for some reason I'm all giddy and I don't know why....I might get one :)

3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Well they're not really banning JUST blurays, they're taking away all disc support. I don't really blame them.

I can't remember the last time I used the dvd player on my pc. and on laptops they do waste space, and are loud. one of my friends recently took out the disc drive from his mac
    to do a mod to add a second hard drive to his mac, which to me, was a great idea. if i need to use a disc drive, i can always use a portable USB one.

Now if they remove support for USB drives, and give no support for blurays and the like, then yeah bad move on apple.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Lol.

Yeah but the things is getting the movies themselves, though i guess it may not be a problem for a MAC user in any other country but for my fellows Kiwi's, they're going to have a fairly expensive bill. But poor people dont tend to buy Apple products anyway so...

5. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    This is the same line of thinking that gave us all horrendous flat panel displays for so many years, and brought super lossy mp3's to the forefront of popularity. Just hurt the enthusiast market at the convenience of the masses. That said, I wouldn't consider Apple users enthusiasts, so perhaps it doesn't really matter.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I bought The Avengers off iTunes the other day so I could add it to my collection. I was lazy and didn't feel like ripping my Blu-ray copy:nerd:. Not sure what compression method Apple is using, but it looked damn good for being a small file size. Also, it was a few $ cheaper too.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    One of the great things about a Blu Ray disk is that when I buy a movie, it doesnt permanently occupy 45GB of my hard drive.
    Unless these imacs come with infinite drive (tm) or they setup a free fast ******ing ISP in your area, this is a backward step.

^ odd, that blocked word is "s t r e a m i n g"
    ???

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

How big was it?. Also whats the point of have such a high res screen if they're not going to provide Full HD content.

Yeah and I be buggered if im going to pay for cloud storage just for FullHD movies and then the cost of boardband to ****** it when wanting to watch.

Lol, S t r e a m i n g censored, must be the internets way of saying not yet.

9. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Guys, you know you can just buy a external drive and play the discs right?

If you read the article right, you would notice its only gone from the laptops and the new "slim" imac. disc drives are still ancient and ****ing huge, so no wonder it's the first thing to be phased out so products can become smaller/thinner.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Fair enough, but my main gripe with that would be the fact that i would now have to carry around said external drive and that sorta defeats the purpose of having such a small form factor of an note/ultra/laptop in the first place.

Thing is for such a price of what apple products cost I would expect to be able to have a disk drive built-in, sure flash drives are cheap for some but over here its still around $15+ for a small 4Gb sized stick.

They want to faze out old tech but the thing is that the current/new tech (HD movies) still require it and again with the resolutions that apple provide and with every man and his dog wanting to push 4k+ content, well then you dont go making something redundant without providing a just as effective solution as a replacement, imo.

12. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Blue-ray discs are old technology? Since when?

13. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I think the mouth piece means discs are old in general.

14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Apple, please also ban the RJ45 connector because it holds you back on making your laptops as slim as knives, please also ban intel hardware because they cannot make hardware as thin as knives to put on your bleeding edge plastic-aluminum laptop bodies for which you charge over 9000$!

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    Displays use too much power and take too much space, time for the ESP chip.

16. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    I usually despise apple ideas, but i have to agree, i personally dont care about bluerays/cds/dvs i dont even remember the last time i used one.
    But hey vinyl players still sell.. soo.. that said, they should give options to customers or this would be a bad move.

17. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    But there's a way round this problem, though.
    A software application exists which can copy blu-ray discs into a folder on a MAC, and then you're all set. ;)
    Use the PC version of this software myself, and it does a great job!

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    Its very well known, PC has similar tools, you can even force playback of the hi def soundtracks through a normal soundcard.
    But you still need a Blu Ray drive to copy them and lots of space if you want to keep them on your drive.

19. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The blu-rays I convert to .MKV are a 1:1 copy. So the file size is pretty huge. I believe the Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Editions was like 100GB for all 3 movies.

20. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Material objects take up too much space. Apple should just start charging you for a box of nothing.