Apple awarded One Billion dollars in suit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Many of the claims were just stupid, eg square with rounded corners, many obvious designs that were actually used before, Apple used them and then patented and sued Samsung. This is silly.

There are lots of intuitive and obvious designs, especially in software area and it is wrong to patent them in too broad extent. Pinch zoom? Pinch zoom my a** - it's been shown by for example Microsoft before Apple. The only difference is that they used fingers of 2 hands.

I'm not trying to defend *Samsung*, but basically I'm against patent trolls. Now you can't safely make an application utilizing some obvious and intuitive designs, as someone else might patent it. Of course it's mostly seen in USA, where patent office guys are just lazy and don't care to notice devices and publications that have already used such features + they allow patenting even stupid concepts. There's even filled & approved patent for swing.

I'm a software developer & architect and I can see how it works. When we work in a good team, many people come up with virtually the same designs even of complex systems, often because these designs are good and the other ones are not. If one of them patented such design, others wouldn't be able to use it despite the fact it's a natural solution for intelligent and experienced architect. It's some sort of bull****. I'd rather understand something unique and complex, but still I'm not sure where's the limit, what kind of design is so special that there's no chance that there will be several people across the globe that are just smart enough to come up with such idea and use it, especially before the patent is filled.

Your concept of finding a hole in the law and lack of professionalism of gov employees and then ripping others pockets as a good and lawful behavior is just wrong in my eyes.

You can't patent obvious stuff in Poland or EU in general. The law over here is to credit only inventor and not the lawyer scumbag (no offense to the ethical lawyers). If you wanted to patent pinch-to-zoom over here, they'd call the security.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    The recent patent trolling is why I got myself a Galaxy S III over the upcoming stretched-iPhone-4S. Maybe they'll get the import of this phone banned so I can like it even more.

3. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I very much doubt it.

WP will rise or fall on its own merits, people already invested in either iOS or Android are unlikely to be swayed one way or another by the outcome of this trial.
    For producing rectangular slate devices and/or using bounce-back effects on menu scrolling on touchscreen devices?

By actively licensing such completely ridiculous patents, let alone at the price Apple would like to set, Samsung would effectively be acknowledging and accepting such absurdity in the first place.

Which, in turn, would open the door for forcing even more ridiculous patents and related licensing costs.

No, I believe that was never much an option.

Paying licensing costs for radio telephony standards, HDMI connectors or the like is pretty much a given. The patents discussed in this trial, design or utility both, can't really be held to the same... uh, standards.

4. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I was hoping the court was just gonna go tell both companies go home u children I guess some one lobbied eventually for someone and slipped them some green not a conspiracy just fact want to get somewhere Bribe, Threaten and deceive.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    The reality is Apple have used an outdated and ill fitting system to screw over the competition. Alongside this the fact that it was an American judge, Jury deciding the fate of an American company vs a South Korean one alongside the fact that just about every trial of this kind elsewhere in the world has been thrown out shows that either the American trial and patent system is deeply flawed or their was some bias.

The reality though is that in the long run the consumer is the loser, and the Americans will be the hardest hit. Less competition, higher prices and the only option being a phone from a company who has shown standard products, such as bluetooth, removable batteries and expandable memory, should be optional or none existent and attached to a device that has proven more than once to be less than the best on the market.

Nice one!

6. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    yes, apple technically won over samsung, but the way it was done is ridiculous and Patent trolling should stop. I'm glad that there aren't any other companies that does business similar to apple. Else we would see a car company patenting for a box with 4 wheels, or knife manufacturers patenting a device with a sharp edge. ridiculous.

I'm already doing it.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Sick and tired of these unwarranted an unevidenced accusations. Do you have a source for these accusations?

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Actually someone in this "great debate" either here or in another forum dropped RAMBUS's name.(not slept in awhile so it's all blurring together so I give credit to whoever wherever mentioned them)

RAMBUS doesn't actually MAKE anything they just patent troll anyone who does anything "RAM" related because they have the "patent" on DDR. They are the true kings of patent trolling.

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Jesus Christ! Do you have to manufacturer or produce anything to make money off your patents? No. If you own a patent you are entitled to compensation if someone infringes on your IP. Why the fricking hell wouldn't you do the same?

Who turned you lot into a bunch of technology philanthropists who would give away everything or let the competition take you up the pooper?

I'm going to leave these discussions now. I've had enough lol

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I think it's more the issue of, how exactly does a company that produces absolutely nothing, claim damages and financial loss when they actually produce nothing. Rambus has never actually produced anything...yet claims "financial loss" in every case.....

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Apple = A greedy company...

12. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    Has Apple patented an apple yet?

Come to think of this, it's a win for HTC if the price of the S3 goes up...

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Samsung = also a greedy company

The biggest concern of every company is making every cent possible. None of them actually care about consumers so long as we're buying their products. It's when we stop, that they actually start to care.

14. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    The only way I can think of is loss of royalties.

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.