Apple Announces New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The new MacBook Pro features Apple's brightest and most colorful Retina display yet, the security and convenience of Touch ID, a more responsive keyboard, a larger Force Touch trackpad and an audio s...

Apple Announces New MacBook Pro

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've seen a lot of backlash Apple is getting, say that the display bar or whatever they are calling it is nothing new. Well no, it is not anything new. But Apple does what they usually do, they take a small segment of a small market, and they improve it. They create a market for it. They set a standard almost.

Look at the iPhone, notice all phones are more starting to resemble the design of the iPhone?

iPad, same thing.

iMac, MacPro, Mac Mini, many different designs and choices spawned into these markets thanks to Apple.

Macbook, and ultra book.

About the only market Apple has not put itself in is the 2-in-1 device category. But for them, why would they need to? They have Macbooks, and iPads. No sense in having both in one for them.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    And deservedly so.. THIS is the best they could come up with since their last MB release?

It isn't anything new, and although it looks nice, is a gimmick meant to dazzle. I will bet you more often than not, people will use it once in a while at most. Certainly no game changer, and certainly not worth the extra price hike.

And then jack up the price while removing other more important features.

This is nonsense. You could same the same thing for Apple phones starting to resemble other handsets.. its tit for tat. The Google Pixel is the more closely resembling phone to the iPhone.. virtually all other Android devices more closely resemble each other before they do iPhone.
    Also, the iPhone has stagnated as far as its look.. the 7 and the 6 are very similar.. in fact, the 6 is even better design as it doesnt have that annoying bump for the camera where the 7 does.

Agree totally with you here. They certainly have their own look and are unmistakable.

Yep, totally.

That's a fair point and I'd agree, they really do not need to.

On the topic of this MacBook release, I think Apple has made many glaring errors. People are upset and they have very good reasons to be as far as I'm concerned.

You simply cannot remove all I/O short of a couple USB-C ports, make the device thinner while removing MagSafe, plonk in a touchbar, place in mediocre hardware and raise the price by hundreds and expect people would be happy.

This is going to bite Apple badly.. I felt that the iPhone 7 on its own was gouging for what it is.. this is even worse than that.

Apple needs to get their prices in check badly. I can't see how anyone could buy these laptops and feel like they are getting a decent deal. if I were an apple fanboy, I'd be superbly choked by this release.

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    cant even charge your iphone without buying a dongle, lel

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Is it true you can't connect a new iPhone 7 to this new MacBook without an adapter? I admire Apple products but I'd hate to have to carry around adapters to plug anything in to it!

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    This is indeed the truth. iPhone uses lightning port, meanwhile MacBook Pro only has 4x USB-C for I/O.

Hope you want to die and go to Dongle heaven, since that's what you're getting with a MBP. LOL

7. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    What is this Apple ?!
    Using only DUAL CORE i5 ? I thought my 4 core desktop i5 was a middle of the road home user processor and the graphics my God i5 is usless at this yet its cutting edge in Apple hands

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I wonder what would Jobs think seeing how many adapters the average person would need to normally use modern Apple products.

9. svukelich

svukelich New Member

I don't get the complaints about needing a dongle to charge an iPhone. You have to carry a USB cable anyway for any computer to plug into a USB port. So, you plug your USB3 to USB-C dongle onto the USB cable and carry both hooked together; you still have a single cable!

10. svukelich

svukelich New Member

I checked prices: the USB3 to USB-C dongle is $19 and the USB-C to iPhone dongle is $25 (and those are Apple prices, there are probably cheaper ones out there). If you can afford a $2,000-$3,000 MacBook Pro I think you can afford a single dongle (which also can be used to connect other devices beside iPhones).

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I don't think anyone is mentioning the price here. It's the convenience that people are worried about.

In my own experience, leaving home after forgetting some very important USB-C dongle there is likely to have you a bit (read: very) miffed once you realize you want to use it and start searching frantically for it.

A laptop is not supposed to have all sorts of connectivity built-in for whatever device you're going to plug in; that's for desktops. But there has to be a balance.

Anyways, 4 USB-C ports is better than 1 USB-C port (not merely referring to the older MacBook - laptops like my XPS 15 9550 ship with only 1).

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    What? How do you figure?

Forever and a day, laptops have featured a combination of:
    Bluetooth
    USB
    SD
    Compact flash
    Bluetooth
    Wireless radio
    VGA
    And older, PCMCIA slots and serial ports for multipurpose.

That is a ton of connectivity.. so saying that laptops are not meant for that imo is just wrong. They always have offered plenty of options in I/O. At worst, I have seen more modern laptops offer only 2-3 USB, but they used to offer even more, 4-6.

It's only as laptops have gotten thinner and thinner that these options have been phased out in favor or lightness and thinness.

Any laptop that ships with one USB port is designed by a monkey.
    What good are 4 usb-c ports right now.
    How many photographers, audio professionals, designers use any usb-c pen drives or media? No one to very few.
    How many have phones that use usb-c as a connection? Many more these days, but to not feature a regular USB for Apple devices is a glaring oversight that quite honestly can't happen.

I really have trouble understanding how they could release these laptops in this state.. they make little sense.

Edit: spelling on mobile

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    4 USB-C ports are fine, but a 2/2 or even 3/1 configuration would make more sense. A look at this MacBook is also a tale of Apple's blatant hypocrisy and their obvious ploy for more income from peripherals.

MagSafe (which was a great idea and implementation) is gone. USB-C is fine for Macbooks but iPhones and iPads somehow need Lightning (which offers zero, literally zero, advantages, except the fact that it's proprietary), and a headphone jack is necessary on a computer with four USB slots, but not for a mobile with a single charging/data port. And we're supposed to believe that it's a "bold" move for the phone...

It's blatant and stupid, and the need for dongles would have them most flung out of the window if Jobs was still alive. Since when the "simple" computers for "human beings" need dongles for everything, and since when something named "Pro", has software function keys? They really went full retard this time.

EDIT: Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016