Apple and NVIDIA first customers of TSMC 3nm/4nm chips made in new USA based Arizona Plant

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Airbud, mbk1969, Valken and 2 others like this.
  2. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    What would happen if AMD would buy GF and make it competitive again? Would be a win win for everyone (except mostly for TSMC of course)

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Something tells me even after this plant launches chips will be expensive.

GSDragoon likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Cost isn't really going to go down until Samsung starts delivering decent performance or you get an ASML competitor. Neither of which will probably ever happen.

The goal with this move wasn't really to reduce cost but to avoid issues with China potentially attacking Taiwan and cutting off chip supply to US/Allies.

Airbud, mohiuddin, Why_Me and 5 others like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes that's my impression as well.

Airbud likes this.
  6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    They sold GF cause they could not sustain it, owning a fab is very costly and having few bad years can put you under fast ... While as they are now amd is way more resilient . This is why I do not think AMD will ever get into fabbing business again anytime soon.

alanm, Silva, Embra and 2 others like this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    do not forget that Intel has several fabs outfitting for 4n equivalent that will be online around the same time with an older fab (Beaverton) updated too. Intel will have their European fab up as well and may actually outproduce TSMC again (operative word may).

what is happening is the entire first world is hedging their bets re: China given the actions of lil'Vladdie.
    TSMC as outstanding (and a bag full of other superlatives) as they are, are still constrained by the fact that the lion's share of their fabs are in Taiwan. this is where Intel's advantages come into play as they're truly an international fab business with fabs on three continents (and you have to count N. America and Asia over 2x)

alanm and Venix like this.
  8. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Vice President Biden? Who's the president then, Kamala? Please God no!
    Anyways, yes, this is for when China possibly attacks Taiwan. Although the U.S. could stop it if we wanted to. If China does try to take Taiwan, I really hope Taiwan destroys TSMC. You don't want China having that. Bring a ton of their workers here and the U.S. is golden and China is F'd.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so when in 2024? by time it open thing will either be worse worse, doubt it will help prices any

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    {dose of sarcasm not meant for you}

the only thing it will help is the bottom line. TSMC is charging up to 100% surcharge for next gen processes (excepting 3D Cache where the honey is shared w/ AMD)...

and N3 is going to be a long process...maybe even as long as 14nm and the surcharge is in effect through the next model year of devices (2023-2024) and if Intel's N3 & N4 aren't up and running i definitely suspect a continued surcharge.

Valken likes this.

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Ha, yes I read that too and was second guessing myself saying is Joe Biden his relation or something? And Jim Biden or Bob Biden or something is the actual president!

Also - "Apple's Tim Cook, NVIDIA's Jensen Huang, and AMD's Dr. Lisa Su" in same place at same time! That's a first, and probably last time ever for that too - a good nerdy future pub quiz question!

12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I was reading an article this morning about this very subject. The US have basically said they will not allow China to gain control of TSMC. I got the feeling they will level the TSMC fabs before it could fall into China's hands. As it would be an absolute disaster for the entire world if they controlled the most advanced semi conductor company.

southamptonfc likes this.
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Cost to consumers won't go down until the profits to nGreedia go significantly down from pushing too far even for the retards that pay just about anything.

fredgml7 and Valken like this.
  14. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Man we have some losers here thinking paying for overpriced GPU make someone a retard LOL, make me wonder what sort of EQ+IQ these losers have

geogan likes this.
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Nah bruh, I'm a winner. And you can relax, I wasn't referring to 4090 buyers (that's debatable ;)), people with money will always buy the best even if it's outrageously overpriced and sets a stupid precedent. Now buying a 4080... that'd scientifically make someone a retard.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022

16. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    IDK, winners often have the humility not to call other people retard over a simple hobby

When a person with dubious credibility call others people retard, 100% that they are one.

AuerX and geogan like this.
  17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Win win! USA can scalp the poo out of their own market now while we have enough for the REST of the world... Let the glut begin and bottom out prices... I <3 capitalism, I mean FREE MARKET TRADE... yeh.. that's it...

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Don't be down on yourself bro, just because you have dubious credibility doesn't mean you should insult yourself. Don't worry, the shame you feel about yourself will pass. Let's be serious, you're butthurt and you need to calm down, and everyone knows 4080 buyers are literally retarded; it's not an insult, it's a fact. Just because you want to have insane halo purchases justified doesn't mean the rest of the world has to play along and pretend it's not stupid. A person can buy whatever they like, and others can laugh at how stupid it is, we don't have to play along. :)

You'll find I've always been quite consistent, even if it applies to myself: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ich-parts-you-can-afford.445600/#post-6076376

Anyway...

tunejunky likes this.
  19. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah I guess I shouldn't care about whatever brainless losers spew out of their mouth LOL.

Reading some of your comments proved that you are a sore loser, so yeah...

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Go enjoy your 4090, why are you seething unless you agree with what I'm saying and are having regrets? It's not like me laughing my ass off affects you, you big smart winner you, who totally doesn't have retard's remorse, has a sense of humour, and is very mature.