Apple 2021 iMac, Powered by M1 Chip, Featuring 4.5K Retina Display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I know most here probably don't care but man that is insane they are getting 85% more cpu performance in a tablet in one generation. If this happened on a desktop cpu we would all be flipping out. Apple is on fire right now.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    "...up to..."

The M1 is a great chip, even without any particular context, but first party benchmarks are usually to be taken with a grain of salt. Multiple times when it's Apple, simply because they give zero detail on how they came up with those numbers. They're also using mostly propriety hard- and software so comparisons to any larger ecosystem aren't even possible.

As for the comparison with desktop, simply doubling the cores on the same architecture - swapping out a 4/8-core for an 8/16-core in the exact same machine, will get you "...up to 85% better cpu performance...".

I'm interested in seeing compelling alternatives to x86 in non-mobile computing and Apple's M1 is certainly worth keeping one's eyes on. I'd caution against overstating what it is though.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't have any official benchmarks at hand, but comparing a 13" high-end Intel Macbook Pro with a 13" M1 Macbook Pro, completly subjectively the M1 is miles better. Much, much faster application launches, smoother rendering/window resizing on the desktop, insane battery life and no real fan usage.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I just passed command of a mini M1 as there is many linux distro that can run directely on it...
    Will try it :)

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    And look at the depth of the new all in one mac... awesome.

7. Bsac

Bsac Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 / 8gb

The M1 hype is real. I own a Mac Mini M1 and Ryzen 3600x pc and previously a core i5 mac mini. The mac mini is a beast for video editing and transcoding, very snappy, and completely silent 99% of time while running cool to the touch and not using more than 30 watts or so at sustained maximum load. It completely destroys my Ryzen 3600x and uses a fraction of the power at that while remaining silent and cool. Apple has a winner on it's hands as they not only can build fast machines but they can also build them in form factors that are just not possible with any X86 type processor while maintaining the performance, energy efficiency, and low operating temps. The writing is on the wall for X86 architecture. Now let's see what Qualcomm and Nvidia can bring forward to the PC side of things which should be interesting and more competitive with M1. Rumour is Microsoft may also be designing an arm based processor of their own so we'll see how that goes as well. I suspect the future points to off the self cpu's from NVIDIA and QCOM and custom Soc's for MS surface machines and same for chromebooks.