App Store, Hacked?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Nafta, Jul 4, 2010.

1. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    instead of moaning press the report post button if it bothers you that much :stewpid:

2. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I dont give a damn about the company, I have no allegiance to them. I'm just get sick of the childish slanging match that has to goes on, where i have to wade through those people's posts who are trying to increase their e-pen1s. Its the flaming of the users i dissagree with.
    I have been with this site for many years and have steadily seen the decline in the past few.

I wasnt aiming at anyone in particular but more of a banket point.
    If I felt as though someone particular was being too personal then i would hit the report button :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I will say this once, and only once.

Apple is not to blame for this.
    This is something that can happen to any network, this just proves that the App store is a big enough market to target by hackers. It's annoying to see people putting the blame game on Apple, this could easily happen to any other market out there, such as Android, Blackberry, Winmo, Maemo, Symbian, etc. Xbox Live is hacked all the time, but nobody seems to care.

4. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Card details removed from store. :)

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Well. I agree, it can and will happen to most large companies.

However, it is still their fault and responsibility. I understand that hackers are 1337 skillz, but they accept responsibility for your information when they accept your payment, that's part of doing business. And while being hacked is also part of doing business, it is one they must accept responsibility for.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    +1 Warning

+1 Warning

+1 Warning

+1 Warning

+1 Warning

+1 Warning

Anyone else want to contribute useless information to the thread instead of discussing it?

I'll be doing this to all threads from now on, so don't think it's just from Apple threads.

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    This is kind of bad news for Apple; not only will they have to worry about people complaining, but they lifted their platform as not having viruses and such like Mircrosoft.

8. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/04/reports-of-app-store-hacked-greatly-exaggerated/

Note it's from a mac place, still some valid points

9. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I've had my card details used to purchase various apps on the app store twice now by a third party. Got a new card, cancelled old one etc, happened again.

I don't know why, but for all the people saying Apple are the greatest thing ever, their online securing of customer details seems worringly poor - they don't do much to help you out either if you do get your account hacked.

Also, given how frequent this happens (check google), why is there no link on their website to help people who this has happened to?

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've been buying things online for a really long time, I buy things all over Apple stores and heaps of Online stores, Ebay you name it.

And I've NEVER had issues.

I really think it's how you practice online security to be honest, your password strengths, where you store things, how clean you keep your PC from malware or keyloggers etc.

The App store also lets you buy iTunes cards to keep your Credit Card out of their system, which is also a good way to prevent problems. A lot of places don't do that.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    yeah as Finch said..

Also i advice u guys to create an VIRTUAL ONLINE CREDIT CARD which is linked to ur real credit card (if ur card / bank supports it) and limit it like i do..even they get my card, they will just get a limited amount of money :)

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I believe anything can be hacked. in this case its the app store. could easily be Mr. Bigtime's virtual credit card for that matter :D :D

sorry biggy :D

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    lol man..anything but me!! Dont hurt biggy..:nerd:

14. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    The Apple online store is the only place where i have EVER had fraud on my account (and i buy a hell of a lot online) - and it happened twice. When i spoke to Lloyds they told me they are seeing this problem with Itunes quite frequently and it's getting worse.

No keyloggers here and i use fairly complex passwords (8 digits with a uppercase and two numbers)

It's very common with Itunes. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the poor security is at their end?

15. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, i believe its Apples fault too. They have a responsibility to their customers to keep their details secure. They are admitting responsibility by refunding.

Image if you bought something from a high street shop using your credit card and then found that someone had obtained your details from the shop. You would most certainly blame the shop.

As Finchy said, buy gift vouchers and use them, this will stop it.
    Having said that i still use iTunes and have my details on it, and have NEVER had any trouble at all. Wish the same could be said for other sites and ebay.

16. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Buyer beware...