AOC announces AGON monitor with AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 and VESA DisplayHDR 400

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Other than the peak brightness, the specs on this look pretty sweet.

3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    VA? Oh come on :(

4. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Well at least it's not another turd TN.

Maddness likes this.

5. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    From that perspective, YES. Thank f**k for that.
    But still, I want IPS (or "IPS"), otherwise I am sticking with my 60Hz U2415. I would really like something a little bigger. Hopefully we'll see something this year.
    It also seems like most known manufacturers are making Gsync monitors almost exclusively :(

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I had a 32" 1440p and I would say that is to big for that resolution. If you are talking 4k, than yes, I would agree.

7. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Why VA is bad?

8. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Wondering that about VA too - VA is great - same view angles like IPS (the main issue of TN actually), color accuracy very close to IPS and far away from the horrible washed out TN look and most importantly - DEEP BLACKS and no backlight bleed. Which imho, makes it superior to IPS for anything but pro image editing. I'm honestly sick of the gray blacks and very visible bleed of IPS and totally looking forward to a descent VA monitor.
    Well okay, VA got an issue in the past - in order to achieve switch performance there are some states and dynamic refresh rate changing monitors (gsync/freesync) had a visible flickering in some color combinations, i.e. visible in some places in some games, which is very distracting. With such high performance VA panel tho I wonder if they solved that issue

9. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    VA has the same issues as in the past, respons times in certain areas are still behind IPS and even more so than TN, this is all fine if your are not sensitive to pixel respons times ofc, then you can enjoy the other benefits from VA panels, like the very good blacks.
    Here is just one example of how much VA's are really slower than IPS and TN. The Asus follow up on their PG348q the XG35VQ, same size and resolution, but this time with a VA panel instead of IPS, the VA panel is on average about 10% slower than the IPS from previous model, that might not be a huge deal, but the max respons times(the slowest transitions) are trough the roof, reaching 57ms with the VA panel vs just 13,5ms on the IPS. This is really something you will notice, the typical scenario is with dark colors transitioning to other dark colors(oh yeah thats right VA has "DEEP BLACKS", they just dont like switing between them very much). Depending on the games you play, you will notice this issue more or less.

I have yet to see a VA that can match IPS when it comes to repons times, neither in real life or in propper reviews like the ones from TFTcentral. in fact VA is still far behind.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_strix_xg35vq.htm#gaming

10. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i personnally own a dell tn panel gsync 165hz 1440p and a dell ultra wide ips 60 hz, and i dont mind my tn panel at all, with some tweaks the color are ok for gaming, and its so much better to play in high refresh rate, that being said, when i play single player game or non fps game ill play them on the ultra wide, not for the color but mostly for the immersion of the ultra wide screen, but amd freesync at 144 hertz, no amd card can do 144 hertz at 1440p, maybe the vega 64 which is non existent in everystore basicly

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    VA is great. especially for media and high(er) fps than ips.
    i really like ips, but when you combine 4ms, and and resolution higher than 1080p, VA keeps the price far more reasonable.
    sure, if price were no object, i'd rather have a full array ips screen.
    but it is, and most people would never pay more money for a sub 40" monitor than a new 55" 4k t.v. set

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    What? No 21:9 screen ratio?! Screw that!!!:p:D

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Rather TN then the king of turds, IPS.

IPS Glow = worst issue of any monitor. And will likely always be.

14. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Did your mother drop you on your head when you were small?
    Or are you colourblind maybe?