AOC 27- inch AG274QXM DisplayHDR-1000 (WQHD) has 576-zone mini-LED backlight

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. With the right price, this could be the ideal gaming monitor. 27 inch, 1440p, 170Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium/Premium Pro, MiniLed.. ticks all the boxes for me.
    But as always, it's an LCD, so we will never know until some proper reviews come up.

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It's not 4K so I'd expect $1999 to $2499.

Though yes, I agree that this seems ideal in many ways!

I just recently experimented with an ultrawide, unfortunately I don't want a curved monitor and the one I'm trying have terrible viewing angles (despite being an IPS panel). To the point I can't see the edges well when I sit at my usual distance.
    So it's back to 27" 1440p for me, just not paying the amounts currently asked for true HDR displays. :p

4. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Considering the 4K versions released years ago for $2000 and this one is only 1440P, then I'd expect a price of $2500+ because hey, why not? That seems to be the trend these days. Charge whatever crazy amount you want and be shocked when people actually line up around the block to pay it, then charge even MORE next time! Let's be honest. There's no price limit for high-end PC gaming these days. Anything goes and the higher the price the more it seems to make sense somehow. Honestly they shouldn't even screw around with this thing and just charge $4500 and get it over with. For the people who buy these, $2500 is the same as $4500 just like there's no different to me if I'm buying a $3 coffee or a $4 coffee. These products cater to a higher class of individual, not the average gamer.

Exodite likes this.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The specs are perfect for me. Since AOC makes the panels I'm guessing we will see more of these from various vendors.

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I get where you are coming from but the costs will come down it just might take until next year. Big TV's are coming with more mini LED's in there backlights for fairly cheap now so we know costs to manufacture are not driving the higher costs.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5S3QC...7-b0e4-be320caaa749&tag=wwwphilipsusa-20&th=1

Weird--Just last week it was $799 from Amazon. I paid $849 for this beauty from Amazon two months ago--but it's going back up towards its MSRP of $1,000--it's now $884 from Amazon. Came beautifully packed with protective film everywhere, not a dent or a ding to be found on the monitor! I'm actually much happier with it than I suspected I might be when I bought it. Entire monitor including stand is jet black. The only gimmick I found is the "Ambiglow" thing--but you can turn it off, by George, which I did. Also, the monitor comes with a remote that allows you access to 100% of the monitor's controls--touching the joystick is not required! Almost forgot--the stand is pre-assembled on the monitor! Wonderful touch of class that was.

I figured since I wasn't about to pay 2x-3x the MSRP of the RDNA2 GPU I want to buy, that I'd look into the very nice category of monitors and see which one of those I could maybe buy at < the MSRP with true HDR and a WCG that was more than just a marketing spiel for mediocrity! I found it--I surely did. And it isn't just the fantastic hardware itself and this glorious image quality, not even the great price--but how about a 4-year advance replacement warranty direct from Phillips? Included in the price! I bit--and I couldn't be happier with it.

Don't let the 60Hz dissuade you--this monitor is drop-dead gorgeous. Best I have ever seen, in fact. There is no flicker at all--none. Not one dead pixel--the dot pitch is low enough so that no individual pixels are even visible. I use the DP 1.4 input with my 5700XT. Display 1000 HDR has to be seen on this monitor to be believed, and even better, the Wide Color Gamut SDR is so much better than what you're used to you'll be pinching yourself for a long, long time to come. It's roughly a 1015-nit monitor with an average of ~700nits constant display all around--just beautiful. I feel as though I've already bought a new GPU--this thing will let your HDR Freesync GPU shine! (I'll also say that the image quality on my former BenQ EW-3270U HDR couldn't hold a candle to this Philips. Not even comparable. Ironically, when the EW-3270U first shipped it cost almost as much as this Philips! I only paid about half of that for the BenQ, but considering the multi-thousand dollar price tag on some of these other comparable monitors now selling, it all just makes this deal all the sweeter!)

If you don't like being limited to 60Hz--just turn off vsync and in the right games get hundreds of frames per second...the Enhanced Sync option in the drivers is really quite nice--I prefer it to vsync off, actually, and in some situations you get better frame rates than you do with standard vsync off. Enhanced Sync basically provides you with 90%+ vsync-off frame rates but only 10% (or less) of the page tears of the vsync-off condition. Works really for me these days. (You turn the in-game vsync setting to OFF and turn on Enhanced Sync in the drivers.)

Basically, this monitor will knock your socks off, more than likely, and unlike RDNA2 GPUs today, you won't be paying 2x the MSRP for it, either!

OK, I'll shut up, now. Just wanted you to know...;)

Here's a nice review on the monitor:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_436m6vbpab.htm