Anything Interesting hapening?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Zapmaster, May 28, 2003.

1. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Just wondering if there are any good gaming cards being made ,or already out from someone else than ATI or Nvidia. I would love to get some "other" card just for the heckof it and to suport some upstart company.

2. samuraiboy

samuraiboy Guest

i heard that s3 is starting with their delta chrome technolgy cards, lets get our fingers cross about it...

3. Abdul Alhazred

Abdul Alhazred Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TerraTec 5800 Ultra
    The Matrox Parhelia is a wonderful card, if you work with graphics, as well... It allows full gaming compatibility (even on 3 monitors!) and is a lot faster in professional applications...

The bad bit - developers have concentrated on coding stuff for directx 9.x, which is not entirely supported by the Parhelia...

Nonetheless, IMO, Matrox is a company to keep an eye on...

4. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 256MB + 2x 19" TFTs
    what happened to the whole host of cards based on the Parhelia-512? They've only released one card to date and the price of it seems not to go down!

5. Abdul Alhazred

GPU:
    TerraTec 5800 Ultra
    Matrox´s mistake, as regards the Parhelia, was mainly the constant insistance of its workstation capabilities. As such, most Parhelias that were sold, were sold to CG professionals. Matrox seems to have learned from this though, and are apparently working on the next-gen Parhelia-like card. A lot of the Parhelia-512 Info has been kept for this stage of further development. Matrox (and rightly so) figured that releasing th hardware with the original specifications would not meet the necessary public demand...

But, as said, there's other stuff in the future. And I wouldn´t be surprised to see Matrox being part of the race again... ;)

6. jvd

jvd Guest

powervr is rumored to have a pixel shader 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0 card in the wings and will be more powerfull than the r350 and nv35 set to come out sometime before the end of the year . Who knows whats gonig on there though

7. Abdul Alhazred

GPU:
    TerraTec 5800 Ultra
    Pixel and vertex shaders release 3.x? Interesting... :p

Seriously - anyone saying that is pulling your leg. There is yet no standard ps 3 or vs 3... ;)

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Yeah but i would really love to see Power VR back in the game :D

9. jvd

jvd Guest

anyone that is telling you there is no standard for 3.0 is pulling your leg . Read the dx9 papers. pixel shader 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0 is in dx9 . Ms said there will not be another dx version till longhorn which is 2005. so in 2004 the new cards will come out supporting pixel shader and vertex shader 3.0 ,

10. Abdul Alhazred

GPU:
    TerraTec 5800 Ultra
    There are PixelShader extensions (expandabiity beyond 2.0), no doubt. But, how could MS (regardless what they say) already have PixelShader 3.0, if the standard hasn't been defined (and no, MS does NOT define this!)? First off, you need hardware-encoding to be able to integrate this. Know of any hardware with PS 3.0 support? No - cause there is no standard... :rolleyes:

Second,where are the games (or applications) with PixelShader 2.0? Shouldn't these come out before anyone tries funny stuff with PS 3.0?

As for pulling my leg - don't really think so... If PixelShader 3.0 standards were out, I _would_ know about it... ;)

BTW - if you mean this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/graphics/hh/graphics/d3d_4ahz.asp - as I said, the extended Pixel & VertexShader functions ARE incorporated. But, just like the trouble back with the 56K modems, there is no STANDARD. As long as there is no standard, no developer is going to use it, as there is no hardware to implement it!

11. jvd

jvd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2003
  12. Abdul Alhazred

GPU:
    TerraTec 5800 Ultra
    Errr - that's actually the same stuff as I posted, just in condensed form... :D

Microsoft have their standard, as such, for DirectX - no doubt about that. But, just as the V90 back in the day, it is not being supported by anyone. As such, the standard is not recognised, regardless how much Microsoft makes a fuss about it.

Once, say, NVIDIA integrates those elements of Microsoft's SDK, or ATI (or both, actually), then we can _start_ talking standard. And once it really exists, not only on paper, but in _fucntional_ form, then we are talking about "industry standard"...

But, just cause MS says it's so, doesn't make it so... ;)

13. jvd

jvd Guest

i think there is some confusion by what i said .

P.s 3.0 and v.s 3.0 is finialized. It is in dx9. Yes no card supports it . It is in dx 9 because ms will not release a new dx till dx 10 with longhorn. This was done so that hardware makers will still have new features to pimp in 2004. Do you really think there would be a big deal if nv40 and r400 came out and supported only ps 2.0 and vs 2.0. That is the standard for ps 3 and vs 3. It will be supported by nvidia and ati. Work for the r400 started before the r300 was finished and same with the nv40 and r400.

Same as with pixel shader 2.0 and vs 2.0 . The specs were finished before the r8500 came out with support of ps 1.4 . Do you really think that they wait till right before dx9 comes out to finish specs .

14. Abdul Alhazred

GPU:
    TerraTec 5800 Ultra
    So, MS gets to define standards now, eh? ;)

Let's put it this way - pixel shaders and vertex shaders, as far as chip processing is concerned, are not functions merely limited to an SDK, but implentations of algorithms. These algorithms can be "spoken to" by various different kinds of applications. GLUT, for Linux, for example, also uses pixel shader technology (the mathematical aspect) - but one can't really say that its implementation has anything to do with Microsoft or DirectX. As such, a standard might be defined in an SDK, and a name and number applied to it - in that sense, as I said, I agree with you. MS definitely has a coded standard for the implentation of pixel shaders in their applications. Nonetheless, this doesn't make it a hardware standard. How these functions will be implemented algorithmically by the hardware manufacturers, is a completely different issue. They will, certainly, but MS might have to amend their SDK and their specifications (which they do all the time, anyway). Which also means new revisions of DirectX 9.x _will_ come out... With revised standards...

15. jvd

jvd Guest

all major 3d hardware companys are involved with ms when making dx versions . They vote on what to put in it with ms having the final say just like with open gl . Ms may release another dx 9 .1 or whatever but the fact is the standard for 3.0 is already in there . It was voted on along time ago.

16. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    um.... OpenGL is not from MS.
    Its an open standard and that is why its called OpenGL.
    "Open Graphics Library" just like OpenAL, Open Audio Library.
    OGL started fron Silicon Graphics and Sun if i am not mistaken.

17. jvd

jvd Guest

no duh . I said just like opengl , the companys vote for what to put in. They suggest things to ms and ms has the final say in dx9 .