Anything I should know about setting up the Z680's? (few questions)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by HardwareN00b, Dec 31, 2004.

1. HardwareN00b

HardwareN00b Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X800XL
    Now im pissed, I decided to buy an adapter that would let me plug a coax into my digital out. Only my front left and right speakers work with the digital connection even though ive made all the appropriate settings ( I think ). Why? Why is this so difficult? I didnt feel like I was getting great 5.1 sound in Battlefield1948, especially with the rep of this system, so I assumed going digital would help. If what dboniuk says, it doesnt. Im soooo confused.

2. lilbump3000

lilbump3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB DDR Ram
    With a digital connection with these speakers you will only experience them in 2 channel output because thats what todays music is recorded in. Games will also be in 2 channel as well i think. You only going to get true 5.1 with your digital connection if you are watching DVD's in your DVD player software like powerdvd or windvd. So to sum things up like other people also said its just better off using the analog connection to a pc soundcard and let the soundcard do all the decoding.

3. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    Its as simple as this:

first of all, using a digital out Optical/Coxial sends the whole sound signal digital data and feeds it into ur Z680's and the Z680 decodes it instead but think about this

For ur Audigy 2 ZS what is the point of even buying this kickass soundcard if ur soundcard doesnt decode it? (unless ur using like a SPDIF out capable sound chip)

Also when using Digital Out to ur speakers whats happening in games like BF1942 is it isnt sending the Dolby Digital/DTS sounds to ur Z680 which are the only decoders that it only has to decode the digital signals and in BF1942 I remember it uses DirectSound so when digital out is used it will feed the original 2 channel WaveOut signal from what I remember (actually it shouldnt work at all and you would get no sound and no decoding is done on Audigy 2 ZS and Z680)

Digital Out is used to send the digital sound information of a certain type of audio like Dolby Digital, DTS but there are no/rare decoders on speakers /receivers that decode wav/pcm/wma/mp3/mp2/etc.... audio formats

Analog Outputs are basically meaning that ur gonna use the Audigy 2 ZS to decode the sound effects of game/movies/music on AC3 (DD/DDEX), DTS/DTS ES, EAX 1, 2 , 3, 4, mp3, wma, ogg, and all other computer audio formats

Anyways in terms of specifications ur Audigy 2 ZS should have better DAC's then ur Z680's decoders DAC's and much much better compatibility

as for if u were to listen to 2 channel music/games/movies since u have a Z680 speaker set, you have a choice for Dolby Pro Logic II or CMSS 1, CMSS 2 3D

so why are nVidia SoundStorm SPDIF outers able to use it the whole time? Cause the APU (or their chip/specification) reencodes all sounds into Dolby Digital (except for the ones already in DD and DTS I think...) in realtime before sending it out which would have allowed the Z680's to work the whole time in Dolby Digital through Optical Out

But because the SoundStorm were to convert the Digital Signal, Audio quality is lowered due to compression in Dolby Digital and is a lossy format and people that use nVidia SoundStorm Digital Outs for their Z680's would have reduced sound quality which is why Creative didnt do that for their soundcards for their SPDIF out's