Anything I can upgrade in this old workhorse while I save for a new setup?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Extraordinary, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    460 768Mb
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Then its a money well spent.

Freeman likes this.
  3. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Yeah, it does seem overpriced. But there must be better ways how to get more out of gaming and content experience than buying a CPU+MOBO.

Undying likes this.
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it's been a solid machine with very few issues, but it is getting old in the tooth now and things are starting to fail, my 8+4GB RAM which was solid for many years, the 8GB being 2x4GB with slightly different timings to the original 4GB, all G-Skill RipjawsX which was how I made the mistake, anyway after a day or so of tweaking and testing I managed to get it solid as a rock and passed memtest overnight, ran fine for years like that at it's rated 2133MHz, then one day I started getting BSODs and to cut a very long story short by removing the original 4GB and setting the 8GB manually to it's default timings, voltage and clock speed, even 1T works fine, but it's only 8GB which yes could be upgraded I guess, but then one day while removing a PCI-e soundcard I dropped the screw, but luckily it got stuck between the GPU and mobo so I grabbed a pair of pliers and tried to retrieve it, it seemed slightly stuck but was moving so I wiggled and pulled slightly harder and I got it out..... then I realised the screw I had been battling with was a small cap on the board which I managed to rip clean out of the PCB, up to now there seems to be no negative effects, stress tests, benchmarks, hours of gaming, watching movies, PC powered on all day every day and somehow it still runs exactly as it did prior to the 'accident'

My Cooler is an ancient H100i with noisy-4ss fans, and it was my brothers cooler for a couple of years before I got it many years ago, so I'm wondering also how long that has left.

CPU seems solid, has been running at 4.8GHz @ 1.48v for years, only dropped it to 4.6GHz one super hot summer as the H100i could not cope, and that has been running with 1.46v or somewhere around there on offset for years too

Case is pretty much dead, I've had to wire the power button pins to the reset switch, front panel USB ports crash the driver if transferring data for more than a minute or two, other USB ports on the back are fine, front fan doesn't work, rear fan bearings are on their way out, chassis is slightly bent when it was knocked off my desk.

It's done me well, but I think it's time to retire it and build a 2021 machine, the ASUS Strix 1080 OC will be staying with the new build, I only just bought that GPU a couple of months ago and I'm more than happy with it (Weirdly the seller had flashed a Manli GTX 1080 Gallardo vBIOS to it), don't know if he managed to OC higher with it vs the Strix Vbios but I generally get 2GHz core or slightly higher by 10-20Mhz (+100Mhz OC) if I set a custom fan curve that prevents throttling, vRAM I can OC 400MHz for 5400Mhz (or 1350)

So yea, bits are fine but other bits are not, oh and also I managed to rip one of the modular ports out of my PSU (Don't ask), and amazingly that port still works too

So with all of that, I think maybe it's time to retire her to the backup cupboard and start fresh

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Hope you will be able to buy the hardware that you want , good thing that you don’t need the graphics card that will make things easier .

Extraordinary likes this.