Anyone what "The stub has received bad data" means and how to fix it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, May 28, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Anyone know what "The stub has received bad data" means and how to fix it?

This issue has starting happening in the last week, basically since I attempted to overclock my CPU the previous weekend after it had been running at stock since I built my new PC back in June 2013. The overclock of 4.0 GHz using an adaptive voltage of 1.2 V had been 100% stable and I have not had any issues with my system crashing or freezing.

The issue is that on opening apps and programs (oddly not games) I will randomly get a window that pops up stating that "The stub has received bad data". It happens once, I click OK to close the error window then the program loads the second time. The issue is fairly rare but I have never seen this previously and Google throws very little light on what it actually is (although other people have reported the issue).

Now it may just be a complete coincidence that this issue started after I'd overclocked my PC because resetting back to stock has not got rid of it. I have just had another error while trying to open a program shortcut. It is completely random, sometimes the issue does not occur for a session then it'll happen two or three times in a day. In all cases, the program runs on the second attempt. All games and programs are working as expected otherwise.

I have ran sfc /scannow and dism.exe /scanhealth from an elevated command prompt and both report a clean bill of health. I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this error or how to fix it. It's not a major issue (yet) but it is annoying and frustrating all the same.

Does anyone know what this error is, what causes it and how I can fix it please?

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    residual windows 7 / 8 files on a upgraded win 10 install may cause this.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1 Pro last July though and have not seen this error until just over a week ago. I did install new NVIDIA drivers, v368.22 around then, but I find it hard to believe they could be the culprit. I don't think there have been any Windows updates in that time other than definition tables for Defender.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Quick google suggests disabling any unneeded services, didn't look much further into it though

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Im pretty sure a clean install will fix it lol

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    yeah if you're like me that takes a week to get back to normal I think I'd try harder than that.All I've seen is run sfc and DISM but no real answer to fix it.

7. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @Darren Hodgson i also got this issue. how to solve it? i asked around nobody know what's the reason.

i think related to nvidia driver, microsoft visual C++ 2015 redistributable or latest DDU beta.

the stub received bad data will happened when u tried to open any application for the 1st time or type cmd, open task manager etc.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but I am also glad that I am not alone.

Could be a bug with the latest graphics drivers then. In fact, that does sound plausible as in my efforts to identity what was causing it, I did a system restore back to the 22/05/2016 and thought the issue was fixed as I did not experience it for a couple of days. However, I noticed that in rolling back I was using the older v365.19 driver and not the new v368.22 one. And since reinstalling the new driver the "stub has received bad data" error has reappeared, albeit it happens very infrequently, perhaps once or twice a day and the affected programs always run the second time.

It might be worth reporting in the NVIDIA driver thread I think in case anyone else is experiencing this issue but isn't aware that the driver might be the cause.

P.S. I did not use DDU beta or otherwise when upgrading the drivers from v365.19 to v368.22; I just used the same custom install option as always with the two 3D modules deselected (since I have no need of them).

9. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    v365.19 don't have this issue. i think NV really messed up something. i ran too much sfc /scannow & now got error can't be fixed but not related to the stub received bad data for sure.

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    a clean install fixes everything. a key to having a stable rig is finding out what stupidity you did to require a clean install.

Reinstalling windows and constantly scanning for corruption are just indicators that someone doesn't know how to maintain their system.

Wish I could be of more help to the OP though, but I've never encountered this error, and all the troubleshooting google leads to are generic responses from outsourced MS employees in India.

Since it started happening around the first attempt at an OC, i'ts quite possible there was data corruption due to improper BIOS settings. But it's a shot in the dark really, without teamviewer access to the rig itself.

Another possible cause is an incomplete deinstallation of previous drivers and services, resulting in two conflicting services trying to start up at the same event.

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I actually had a few errors in Black Ops 3 saying data corrupt tried verifying files etc.Then it'd happen again and then tried starting game again no problem.Ran Memtest86 turns out had a random error on one stick of ram always at the same address.

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    It's an Nvidia driver issue that's causing it. I've been battling it as well, did all kind of SFC scan fix attempts and two Windows 10 reinstalls (once the latest customer preview, then, as that didn't help, back to the current live build) and they didn't help.
    I've had it with 368.22 and 368.25 drivers. 365.19 drivers don't have the issue. In addition, the 368.xx drivers are causing some weird network connection issues for me (why would a display driver do that?). In any case, it looks like Nvidia messed something up with the 368.xx drivers.

13. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    i'm not sure bout network. i updated the latest LAN v21.0.

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    YOu can try to give this a shot :

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

15. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    finally, run sfc /scannow no more error. apparently, i fixed 33 errors with missing .Ink files but the stub received bad data still exist so it must be related to nvidia 368.22 WHQL driver.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

16. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Same issue here, at first I thought it was bad ram or unstable CPU so I returned everything to stock settings and ran memtest86 4 hours 2 passes no errors and Intel Extreme tuning Utility stress test for 12 hours, no errors.
    I thought it was a corrupted Windows 10 installation so I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and sfc/ scannow
    No errors found.

Did a new clean install of Windows 10 lastest Iso available, installed the most recent Nvidia update plus all Windows updates available and the errors started happening again.

I reinstalled Windows 10 again, this time I avoided any update beside the critical ones that get downloaded on install, installed the Nvidia driver. ran the PC 2 whole days without any errors, installed the latest windows updates and the problems started happening again.

Also C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2umx.dll seems to be crashing every now and then after installing the windows updates.

17. sn4tch3r

sn4tch3r New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    I can confirm this is a problem that began with the last couple Nvidia drivers. I have no problems at all with 364. Just 368 as far as I know. I went back and had no issues for days. Put em back and it's straight back again. So something very bad has happened between Windows and Nvidia in the last month.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how many of you have GFE installed, I have no such issue with 386.22

19. sn4tch3r

sn4tch3r New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Of course. I've never had a problem with it and I'm not losing features like shadow play. Going by your sig you have a much older PC than mine. I doubt you'd run into the same problems.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont have GFE installed, it and been said here and on nvidia forums it is GFE causing.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5281667&postcount=276

Cause there people with newer system and new cards like Extraordinary and dr_rus that dont have this issue and dont have GFE installed. just read the 386.22 thread and newer they both has same version for GFE everything after 364.10 use same newer version of GFE 2.11.3.5 for what i seeing the pdf.

Choices are simple remove GFE or disable it services or go back to version that dont cause the issue or deal with it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016