Anyone using Radeon Chill?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pedropaulo, Nov 27, 2022.

1. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    I was looking a way to get some control of my fps, honestly in SP games that i play, anything above 60 frames is not necessary for me, and i appreciate the less power/less noise ratio.

Some games do include a fps cap, like A plague Tale , but from what i could understand using Chill i can get a more detailed control of it, and it can be turned on or off ingame.
    So, anyone using it, advantages and disadvantages ?

Thanks;)

2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    pedropaulo likes this.
  3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Guru3D's RTSS has framerate limiter, it should work for AMD cards as well.

Chill sucks, I tried it, it just doesn't work well.
    (maybe it does in some games I don't have, but in the games that I play, the framerate is all over the place and the game doesn't feel smooth at all)

Beside that, Adrenalin has own frame target control feature, it's in the Advanced dropdown in Settings/Graphics (below Enhanced Sync setting). You might have missed it.

Keitosha and pedropaulo like this.
  4. sidi0us

sidi0us Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    I've been using Chill for over 2 years, I play mostly SP games as well and set the min-max to 60-70 fps, but if the game has built-in limiter, I use that as it gives me lower latency.
    Also VRR is a must, I just cannot play anything without it (1440p @ 90 Hz Freesync).
    Before Chill, I was using RTSS as a limiter, now I run it just for frametimes graph and monitoring fps/temps, the latecy between them is indistinguishable (at least for me), but definitely higher then built-in game limiters.

There are however a few games that do not like it, I remember Guardians of the Galaxy was one of them, it just randomly stopped limiting the game in some scenes, besides that, no complains.

pedropaulo likes this.

5. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    I always use chill except sim racing games

since 4 years ago RX580 to now RX6800 never had a problem, the card stays cool and quiet

pedropaulo likes this.
  6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I play a lot of turn-based strategy games and use Chill by default, dropping to 30 fps on the low end.

With screens being static a lot of the time there's really no drawback with those kind of games.

pedropaulo likes this.
  7. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    I´m testing in some games, works better in some the others, but so far i like it.
    Apparently no stutter, and the GPU does heat less, and less noise.

8. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    I've been using Chill since the introduction in almost every games. I don't need a high framerate all the time so I set the range to 75-240 FPS and now my GPU is a little bit colder and quiet. It would be best if you tried by yourself.

9. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    I have used Chill since i bought my RX 6750 XT a few months back(first time owning a AMD GPU) ... I have a 144Hz FreeSync monitor so have the min/max at 80/142, i play everything from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, PGA TOUR 2K23 too Cartel Tycoon, never had a as single issue with it, keeps my GPU cooler and quieter, as i said never has a single issue in all the months i have been using Chill so far.

pedropaulo likes this.
  10. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Thanks for the input, i´m still using it, and like i said so far so good.