Anyone think Steam has a poor quality community?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dmonk, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    I'm not talking about size, but quality. I've ventured through various communities throughout the years, consoles and PCs, and Steam has to be the worst. In terms of general rudeness, most people on here have some kind of self entitlement as a highly skilled player and say-whatever do-whatever attitude. People also have zero patience for new players or anyone breaking the status quo. I don't know but this is the last place I would recommend to get your baby steps into playing games. Sure its the internet, but is that really an excuse to be a blithering ass? I have a feeling this is the same 'generation' of players that grew up with counter-strike, the pinnacle of all asinine online gaming. Oh well, I just feel Steam may have good games but the people break the experience.

One exception is Killing Floor, I've met many cooperative mature people there.
    It's probably because most people like this don't have the attention span for it.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    nope, not at all

actually, the community in terms of forum is pretty rude, but what can you expect from something that is so large? we have them here too, if these forums were as big and popular as steam, i'm sure it'd be the exact same thing

3. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    you could be right. maybe I am not having luck but it seems like every few games I inevitably come in contact with a member of society's lower 25 percentile. I've only seen 1 rude response in a few months of being on the PSN, but as soon I began playing on Steam it averages at least a 1-2 per day.

I will also admit I haven't played PC games in a while, I'm probably not "used to it" as others.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    haha yeah i'd say the PC probably has a lot more "rude" people on their forums......it's kinda sad but it's what i've noticed aswell

5. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Try D2JSP instead, Steam in comparison is a paradise of vast and seemingly infinite plains covered in flowers.

6. [ R ]

[ R ] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GTX+ Quad Pipe
    so basically your saying people are stuck up and arrogant cause of steam ? why are you blaming steam when you should be blaming the people ? you think steam should do a background check on every person who joins their community ? even i think that's ridiculous how is steam responsible for the "poor quality community" did they create it ? did they create the people in it persay ? its like saying a serial killer was made cause of the community around him ...

7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    To me it was obvious that he was referring to the people gathering to Steam, forming its community. The owner, Valve, didn't chose the people, but the people "on Steam" are its community, and saying that Steam has a poor community is simply saying that the people who've chosen to be there (without blaming Valve nor the Steam software itself) are of poor quality.

It's obvious that it ain't Valve's fault, or the Steam program's fault, it's just the fault of the people gathering together under that flag. And your serial killer analogy isn't accurate, there has been reported and studied cases of serial killers through history whom have been clearly influenced directly and negatively by the "community" (people) around them (bad "friends", bad influences, disrespectful family, exploited during infancy, and so on).

If you want to talk about human psychology I can teach you a thing or two, but in PM only or else this will go off-topic.

8. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    See, its reasons like the OP is stating that I've all but left online gaming behind. I played in a squad for the Delta Force/Joint Operations/Battlefield 2 games for many years; we were probably the most feared sniper squad in the Delta Force games at the time. That was over 3 years ago though and I haven't played online much since then.. I've played CoD4 online some, but thats about it. My old squad and I all keep in touch still, just we barely play any games together. We've all kind of grown disgusted with how everyone acts online and how it seems nearly everyone cheats or hacks the game. When we do get together and play, its usually on our own server and just to mess around and have fun.

There are still some good people you can meet in online games, just they are few and far between on the majority of them. If you can, get a group of your friends together and join up into a server, get a private VoIP channel on Ventrillo or Teamspeak and then you can all go after the kiddies :p Its what my squad and I usually did when we were mad enough, its kind of fun haha.

If the online communities of Steam are making you mad, don't go to the forum to keep your sanity and try to get some of your friends together to game with. If people still through LANs, I'd suggest doing that as well because you'll be able to control who you are with and hopefully none of them fall into that bottom percentile of the people you and I loathe.

9. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Banned

GPU:
    kk
    Steam is bad idea to find online buddiez.. Maybe because most people play HL2 mods there (aka L4D , TF2)

10. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    most people are rude , just get over it

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    On the Internet, yes, in majority, especially the youth (but everyone knows that by now), you could meet those same "e-rude" people in actual person and they could be completely different (I.E mature and respectful), that is one disadvantage of on-line anonymity.

12. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    i've started l4d since a week or so, fulltime playing. and i've only encountered nice people! i added 5 new friends to my list and they added me too:p so i think ur just unlucky:p

13. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Steam doesn't have a ranking system, so if you are new, you can get put in with experts which is very frustrating to a skilled player. Games like halo don't match up noobs with high levels so you have more time to adjust if you are just starting out. Steam really needs a rank system I say.

14. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    nice to hear opinions from (most) of you guys. thanks for not bashing my head in.

yikes! guess i better not worry then :)

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'll put it to you this way aswell dmonk, one reason you don't find as many "rude" people on these forums, or forums you have to search for, is that simple reason: You have to search for them, you have to know what they are, where they are, and if you want to join them.

Steam forums, and etc. are the exact opposite, people go to that, because they bought HL2, or CSS, or TF2, or even Dark Messiah or F.E.A.R. 2, so instead of it being people who want to be a part of the forum and community, instead, it's everyone and their brother who has ever bought a VALVE game or a game that requires steam or a game that they saw on a deal on steam, hence the reason for a lot more people and hence the reason for a lot more "rude" people

16. stringer.bell

stringer.bell Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+
    It is not a poor community, but rather that Steam itself is the problem.

I am sick of people praising Valve, when in fact they release some of the buggiest software.

When IGN wrote their article titled "Why are Valve's games so polished?" I nearly threw up in my mouth.

17. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    Examples??? I haven't had a single problem with any of the VALVE titles I have bought through Steam. You can't blame them for buggy crap from third party providers.

18. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    I think you are confusing Steam (a service) with video games (not made by valve or steam)

19. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    the PSN is also a network, to which i compared to.

both are networks that service games in which players signed in can play together in a community.

and more often than not, it is the Valve games on Steam that, as others have said, are more popular and therefore may cause more issues.

i'll just take a shot and say...Left 4 Dead is a good example.

20. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    I've only ran into one asshat the entire time I've been playing l4d. I even remember his user name & that was like 5 months ago.

Asshats are everywhere. Deal with it. It's the same bunch of nerds playing on all the services btw.

You just have to choose your poison I guess. Go with the heckling 14 year old douche bag kids on Xbox Live & PSN or play with the 20 something year old elitist asshats on PC games. Your pick.

That's what the mute button is for btw.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.