Anyone sticking with Intel for their next upgrades?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by alanm, Jan 21, 2006.

1. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
  2. .:sTreeT:.

.:sTreeT:. Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GT CO 256MB 470/1100
    seriously...cpu's dont make a huge diff except in benchmarks....over the past 6 years ive used amd and intel chips back and forth....there is really no difference....its your videocard that has to be hauling ass in a game not your cpu....the only place i have ever seen amd chips perform better is in SLI environment....the fx-55 has the raw power to really bring a SLI system to peak performance..other than that intel and amd fanboys need to stop getting into the console-like flamewars....seriously

3. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:
    chaintech 6600gt @ 610core/1240mem
  4. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
    This thread was about the stability of the nF4 platform for AMD...not the 'performance' of nF4 on either Intel or AMD systems. I don't see many fanboys here - I was just trying to say that the nF4 platform is stable on socket 939 [it's fairly buggy for LGA-775] and that there will always be problems with any chipset. I use AMD-based and Intel-based systems for different applications - and I don't notice instabilities with either.

That OC is amazing. Looks very promising :banana:

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I'm sure that guy isn't hurting for performance, but a Celeron is still a Celeron:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-d_8.html

With anything cache sensitive it will probably not beat a 4.0 GHz P4.

Edit: Well, apparently Intel has upped the cache to 512 kb. Still 1/4, but given the nonexistant lead for 2 MB I suppose these would do much bettter...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Cornbreadbreath this is what the ORIGINAL thread is about.....Anyone sticking with Intel for their next upgrades? And why choose it over AMD?

Is it the HT? Is it stability? Compatibility? Specs? Is it 'snappiness' and quick responses in certain applications that are important to you? Is it cost?

Its certainly not gaming and FPS. Or is it?

I've never used AMD and would appreciate your opinions as I plan on a new PC within the near future. You see, I'm quite happy with my 2.8 Northwood, but MAY consider going AMD the next time around.

Thanks.

Stick to the thread buddy....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  7. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    In June Intel is releasing the Conroe line based on the P-M, and no more P4s will come out expect perhaps Celerons. So unless you like what's out right now, sticking with Intel means Conroe. Conroe is much more like the Athlon, short pipeline and all that, sounds like its debuting with speeds up to just under 3.0 GHz, just like AMD. They'll both support up to DDR2-800 RAM, though AMD should have a slight advantage because there is no FSB bottleneck. HT is history. Conroe will have 4 MB shared cache, so that is presumbably an advantage over 2x 1 MB, but the shared cache thing apparently increases latency a bit. The Athlon has the integrated memory controller advantage.

So if you're going to stick with Intel, the only thing in common with your P4 experiences would just be the chipset... its relative performance will likely not varry across applications like the P4 vs. Athlon. Comparing processor performance will likely get a lot simpler again, like back in the days of the Athlon vs P3.

8. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    not 2x 1 MB ....on die 2MB

9. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:

P4's alredy suport ddr2-800 just chipset based suport going on a upwards divider.

The -65nm chips even out the playing feild when it comes to performance vs the pr rating on amd64's

The yonah alredy beast the amd-64 clock per clock.

Reson to stick with intel you may ask? Simple for me.

I was playing a game while burning a dvd and doing a complete scan on a second hard disk a fiew hours ago. The system didnt hickup or slow down. Game ran smooth and dvd burned and hard disk was promply scaned. And I only run a single core with hyperthreading. Not bad huh?

Ive been doing this kind of stuff since I owned a tualatin celeron. Dosent hickup on any aplication I throw at it. Ive played around with amds as well. Not bad but a intel suits my taste better.

10. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Huh? All cache in on-die nowadays. AMD and the P4 use seperate cache for each core, but Yonah/Conroe use one cache for both cores.

12. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:
    Witch isnt bad because cache stores data wating to be processed. So each core can pick up a chunk and spit it back having a more stremlined mp setup. That could also have a bit of latency problem on the other hand.

13. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    L3 cache

My CPU is a SINGLE core and the L3 cache is one on-die unit...2 MB...hence the expensive manufacturing costs to produce this single die...not many Intel 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition 800 MHz FSB cpu's were produced...I've overclocked to 3.68 GHz with no problems but it ran a little hot 48'C.....lol

14. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Yeah, that's back when "extreme edition" actually meant something. Though they were actually just the Xeon cores that would commonly come with extra L3 cache... apparently Intel abandoned that practice with .09 micron, hence "EE" became 1066 FSB and/or HT instead. I read something that Intel will launch quad-core chip in late 06 or early 07 as an EE, and AMD is planning to counter with a dual-core FX with extra L3 cache--AMD apparently won't be ready for quad since they must have all 4 cores on one die because of the integrated memory controller whereas Intel can just stick two seperate dual-core dies on the same package. Hopefully AMD won't pull a 940 FX and offer up Opterons with the registered memory requirement again, not sure what they're cooking up exactly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  15. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    i have had no problems with my intel 2.8c overclockd it 20% and it still hasnt given me problems. cooling it on stock fan too. but im going to a amd x2 soon. i want that little extra out of games. gaming is what i like most. i used to use a amd 2400+ back in the day, had no problems with that either.

16. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    always dreamt of an EE northwood however never was going to shell out that kind of money

and before anyone corrects me with a smart ass comment that there are no northwood EEs because theyre gallatin cores.. well youve been beaten ha

17. mar-one

mar-one Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga / GTX550Ti / SLI 4g
    I have P4 2.8 OC @ 3.2 and works fine I will be sticking with intel for my next system. I had to amd's before and had nothing but problems with them, I run more than games on system so thats just me.

18. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Extreme comments....Please refer to the IIntel® Xeon™ Processor with 800
    MHz System Bus at 2.80 GHz and 3.60 GHz Datasheet for detailed mechanical specifications......lol

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    lol soo extreme..
    wonders about conroe extreme edition.. rumors are its gonna be a 3.33ghz part

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I will stay with Intel. My 2.6C Northwood has been awesome for almost 3 years along with my ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with an Intel 865PERL chipset. It satisfies my urge for speed and snapiness in programs and desktop stuff.