Anyone sticking with Intel for their next upgrades?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by alanm, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    Well, I was saving a few bucks for a GTX but I couldn't bring myself to pay $450 for a Video Card alone.....

Instead I got a killer deal ($200) for a 660 which is screaming for more overclocking but unfortunately I spend the rest of the money on an eVGA 6800 GS, which now I have to save the rest of the money I have for when the 960 comes out and then I'll go all out for a Swiftech H20 kit, it's a pain having to change CPUs, specially when I have to remove the MoBo out of the case.

That I'll definitely buy, the new 9 series will go through a core revision, from B1 to C1 which the fallowing features will be added: EIST, TM2 and HALT state.
    As a reminder that the 9 series can be overclock to 250fsb, so a 960 will be doing (250x18) 4.5ghz on stock voltage and stock HSF.....nice! Then again by Q3 price on a 960 is said to be in the $316 range, at release they'll be $500+.......so I guess I'll wait for Q3.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    very likely to stick with intel becuase i have always had intel for my main system although i have a few intel laptops but i have amd laptops too cant think why i dont choose intel but i am getting the 2ghz duo with 7800go next week should be good
    intel for sure when the chips become cheaper and cooler

3. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    If this roadmap is correct, quite a few people might go Intel next time around:

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=550178&extra=page=1

This says AMD will go .065 micron in 1H 2007. So while socket AM2 is still scheduled for right about now (June last I heard), they will still be .09 micron, and may remain so for 6-12 months. Meanwhile if Conroe (debuting at .065 micron at the same time as AM2) overclocks well, like significantly over 3.0 GHz well, I would not be at all suprised to see people bolt to Intel. But it will all depend how much better Conroe at .065 micron is than Windsor at .09 micron at overclocking.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  4. samuel0926

samuel0926 New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte ati 9500 se
    im loving my intel 2.4g northwood and i get my new p4 3.0ghz dual next month
    i have no problems with any of my intel chips they keep on working super!!!!!!!

5. littledragon

littledragon Member Guru

GPU:
    6600GT
    I've used Intel since day one. I just built my system a month ago and I'm loving it. I don't do any gaming on the thing, mainly work and web surfing.

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    with a 7800GTX?

7. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Using and working with both Intel and AMD processors, they both work fine. My AMD computer doens't crash, my Intel computer doesn't crash. Both do what I want.

I went AMD for my computer because it was cheaper and they run cooler. People saying that AMD systems aren't stable talk rubbish. I wonder if you could tell any difference if you were given a computer, and didn't know who made the processor inside.

A friend of mine made an argument once that home built computers weren't stable, and questioned the stability of AMD. To fight this, I left my computer on and running for 30 days.

Anyway, Intel or AMD, it depends on what you want out of your processor, and that's about it.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You're probably right and I wont argue with you since I have no experience with AMD. Perhaps supporting your argument is the fact that there seems to be far more users of AMD in this forum who dont seem to be complaining any more than Intel users.

Still a big issue IMO is why dont AMD make their own chipsets. They seem to be passing this off (and the R & D expenses and resulting headaches) to third party mobo manufacturers whom may not always achieve best of results.

Just couldnt help noticing this in a recent game I got (Sniper Elite):

3) Issue:
    The game crashes or freezes with certain combinations of hardware.

Systems that have particular motherboards, with the VIA KT266 chipset and an AMD processor, may crash or freeze when used with certain graphics cards.

Workaround:
    There is currently no complete solution to this problem. However, in some cases changing the graphics settings in the game may resolve the issue.

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Intel doesn't make chipsets out of benevolence, they do it to make a profit. AMD in fact does make chipsets, but only out of necessity. It is still the dominant chipset for servers out of necessity, the nforce professional has only just been launched. Here's dual socket 940 for instance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Intel has a reason to make life difficult for 3rd party chipset makers, AMD does not. I'd imagine that is why Sis and Via chipsets have all but dissapeared with Intel--if not for SLI/crossfire Intel might be the only choice for the mainstream/performance segments. Are we better off for that? I don't think so. It would be one thing if they got pushed out because Intel has a better product, but I think it has more to do with licensing fees. AMD on the other hand has reason to make it easier rather than harder to encourage 3rd party chipsets.

At release there are also AMD chipsets for the desktop. They only dissapear when there are sufficiently viable alternatives, presumbably.

10. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 16GB
    Then why do you have a SLI motherborad and a 7800GTX. A bit of a waste TBH.

On the topic, I won't be upgrading for quite a while and whichever company has the best price v performance ration of both CPU and motherboard will get my money.

11. littledragon

littledragon Member Guru

GPU:
    6600GT
    It is a waste, that's mostly why I built it! :D

12. arnie

arnie Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    A little update, i got all my stuff today, and it went together fine.

I will post some overclocking results later when i mod the ct479 a bit for higher vcore

13. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    cant you change vcore in bios arnie? on my board it goes up to 1.6v

14. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    well im not new to Intel at all because i have owned mostly intel stuff, a cellron, pentium 3 and a Pentium 4. They are great processors, but as with everything they have their strenghts and weaknesses. I found that i have become more of a gamer type so AMD was the obvious choice for the best gaming performance and i am pretty happy with them.

I like duel core features, being able to rip a DvD or cd while doing something else without slow downs, but at the same time capable of doing proper work.

Intel is always a favorite for some encoding, video editing etc and work based on thing like that but its, arguable that AMD are not far behind.

As to stability i think this can be factored by a number of things, i.e overclock, bad ventilation bad drivers etc. These could easily happen on any platform weither it is Intel or AMD.

I personally think it matters on the type of computer user u are, if ur more based on work such as video editing, and video encoding and those demanding tasks, while still playing a few games on ur machine then intel is the best choice.

and visa versa for an AMD user.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  15. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    you have to be carefull with the wire trick, i didnt do it myself, but iirc, it gives 1.6v instantly, so better cooling is recommended.

16. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    Blasphemy........ Lift Licensing Fees from SiS.

You've ever had an Intel with VIA and SiS? I'ts a no-no.

In the old days, any system that had a 3rd party chipset for an Intel base system was not as good or remotely better than that of one that would have an Intel Core Logic. The standards are so high to keep up for these other chipsets, plain and simple. I seriously doubt that if tomorrow SiS were to release a MoBo for an Intel base system and capable of SLI, people would buy it.....enter nVidia and their (joke called: ) nForce 4

To make matters even better, you have the nForce 4 which is the magic bullet for an AMD systems [sometimes :rolleyes: ] (Where's VIA and SiS?) and it is widely known that the nForce 4 sux a$$, the reason why they've become so cheap, I'll reiterate the word "cheap", fewer people are getting this MoBos despite the hype of SLI, still it's not good enough to go through the headaches that the board will give you.

Making a profit? Of course, you're getting what you paid for. nVidia can spit out MoBos with top of the line chipsets (qual SLI, whatever!) for $100 and I wouldn't pay a dime for one, I'd rather a $225 975X, then again I'm just saying not buying, except the fact of me never and I do mean n-e-v-e-r of buying an nForce 4 board will always be.

[​IMG]

I think nVidia is making things more difficult for the others.

17. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Blasphemy? That does establish there is a licensing fee, and I've read plenty about Intel wanting to renegoiate that fee with every FSB speed bump. Meanwhile, I've never read AMD to do this, in fact I've definately read licensing hypertransport is free.

Do the NF4 "suck ass"? Maybe they do for the P4, but they certainly do not with AMD. Otherwise we surely have a lot of delusional AMD owners out there that have no idea how terrible their computing experience is. If there is something wrong with the NF4 IE then I'd probably chaulk it up to being their first P4 chipset. Not that makes it all okay, but clearly they are capable of making good chipsets given their AMD chipsets.

18. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    yeah, its probably due to being their first p4 chipset. the original nforce wasnt all that great either, nor was nforce 3. their next p4 chipset will prolly be a lot better.

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    well usually intel chipsets are better and its true that the first Nf4 for INTEL was nothing special.. however on the AMD side the chipset rocks..

ye about the royalties Intel can use HTT links too because its a free consortumium technology (forget who and what) but its pretty free (its not an inhouse AMD tachnology) unlike Intels fsb..

20. monalac

monalac Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260 - Core216
    im gonna go for INTEL D 3.4GHZ for the reason of stability and dual core and speed. dual HT :D