anyone remembers the old game The Great Escape?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The were lots of people at Zzap over the years, but the Golden days was the Julian "Jazzer" Rignall, Steve Jarett and Gary Penn. Rignall was a great Arcade gamer setting many high scores and got the Job at Zzap 64 because of becoming first in a Coin-op competiton. I think the game was Namcos Galaga at the time. He now works for a Software house in San Francisco i think, not bad for a real gamer who was in the right place at the right time. The rest as they say is history :)

@DocStrangelove, funnily i remember Predator getting good reviews at the time of release and i went and purchased it for £9.99. However i found it awful although the main Sprite which was Arnie obviously looked very good and it was great how his arm pumped when you fired one of the guns.

I got my Grandmother to take the game back and said to her to say " I purchased the wrong game and can i change it for my Grandson".

My grandmother was in her 60's at the time and it always worked, they would always change a bad game for her but not for me, Bless her, she is 90 years old now and we still talk about those days lol when she used to go up the town for me yo change a game. I got Platoon instead of Predator which was awesome and received rave reviews all round on the C64, good game for its day.

In those days it seemed that something bigger and better was always coming along on the same computer/console or a newer bigger badder piece of technology, especially the Coin-op which was annihilating everything on the home front.

That was always the case, but nowadays in 2015 it dont matter what technology comes out with all the graphics etc.....games that i yearn for and want to play are actually few and far between.

It seems like there is actually nothing really to look forward too, ok a new borderlands or a new Battlefield...how boring...GTA5 and Witcher are probably the last 2 decent games that we will see in a while tbh

Oh yeah your right about the ****ty Film Licenses ie: Making a bad game and cashing in on it because its a movie-game so it will sell. US Gold were notorious for it tbh.

Robocop though was Oceans biggest game and a very good conversion from the Coin-op and sold loads and loads. It was a good game even on the speccy, i remember playing through Demo about 50 times on the keyboard alone with no joystick and wouldn't give my brothers ago...good times!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    TR2N likes this.
  2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    [​IMG]
    What a great game at the time

3. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    ARRRRRRRR - Zombie thread ahead Captn' !!!!

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    About that time (1985), I was playing Castle Wolfenstein on my Atari (also a cassette based game). This is what Wolf 3D, the original 3D shooter was a loose sequel to. It took about 6-8 minutes to load and you had to use one joystick to move and the other joystick to aim/shoot. I loved that game.