Anyone live in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dcx_badass, Apr 3, 2009.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Do you know any good tech shops or whatever so I can look at prices, going travelling for 10 weeks, and first stop is hong kong for a few days and I might pick up a netbook for the trip so want to see how much cheaper it would be. Thanks!

2. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    hey man, there are two computer shop/centres u should really only go to as these 2 places offers the cheapest prices for computer hardware/gadgets and such in hk.
    Sham shui po's Golden Square computer centre and the Mongkok computer centre both are on the Kowloon side and both of these places are fairly close to each other around 10-15 mins by taxi

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Thanks any idea of a price of a netbook? Not too bothered about the make, just you know, an Intel Atom 1.6ghz, 1024mb ram, and an 80+gb HDD, so fairly standard for a netbook, if it's only like £10-20 cheaper, I might just buy it here you see, so I have the warranty, but sub £150 and it will probably be worth it, you can post the price in HK Dollars(?) and I'll convert it myself.

Cheers.

4. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    last time i checked which was 5 weeks ago an Asus EEPC the most basic version 701 was like $1800hk and the 901 was like $2600hk

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Hmm so about £160 or £230, here I can get a Dell mini 9 for £180 (which I'd get straight away if it didn't come with a stupid 8GB SSD, or an acer aspire one for £200, is the eepc typically a more expensive netbook?

Thanks.

6. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    hmmm yeah kinda the 701 is fair cheap and the 901 i guess is a bit more expensive version.... the 701 is the cheapest net-book i could find here, there are some like no name brands that have good specs and the prices tho are still around $2000hk

7. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
  8. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I;d get the aspire one dude. I have one and it was the best specs for the money.

9. Loki91

Loki91 Maha Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    Don't expect much in terms of service or comfort while shopping - it gets real packed at MongKok and ShamShuiPo. Try weekdays and during work-hours.

WanChai is a bit better, but prices are less competitive.

I usually buy from Jumbo Computer at MongKok for better prices, but that's generally for parts - not sure how competitive their netbook prices are...

10. soekev

soekev Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2
    Causeway Bay has some good shops, too, forget the exact name of the Computer mall down there

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Cheers guys, in the end I went for this a few hours ago:
    Acer Aspire one AOA150-AW 8.9" White Netbook

On PC World it is £250 for the 160GB HDD version, on comet it is £169.99 for the 120GB version, PC World price match and give 10% of the difference, so a £90 difference gives £9 off so it came to £161 the guy at PC World didn't notice it had a different HDD size so it worked fien so I paid £6 less and got 40GB more.

Anyways I paid £161 which is about 1,850 HKD which is quite alot cheaper than in HK, stupid exchange rates!

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009