Anyone know how to mod AMD drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by YY911SF, Oct 17, 2017.

1. YY911SF

YY911SF Member

GPU:
    Evga Titan SLI
    Hi all,

Can anyone here mod drivers for an AMD Vega Frontier Edition? I am looking to use the latest gaming driver for my VFE card.

Thx in advance.

2. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    It's not hard to do. Just extract the driver installer to a folder (run it like you would normally) and after that is done, use Task Manager to shut the whole AMD gig down (any and all AMD, setup.exe, whatever.)

Inside the extracted folder, search for the .inf you want to install from. Open it in Notepad and look for a card most similar to yours. Change the hardware id to your card's instead. That number you just changed from? Search that elsewhere in the file and change it again to your card's too. Save. Use Device Manager to install from that .inf you just edited now.

That's the general idea. To find your card's hardware id >>> In Device Manager >>> double click your card, Details tab, change the dropdown box to say "Hardware Ids." You want the 4 numbers and/or letters after "Dev_"

If you are using a 64 bit operating system, you will have to find a way to permanently allow unsigned drivers (there are simple ways) -OR- every time you boot the machine you will have to choose to do so. Good luck.

Usually, you can just run the installer normally again (nothing special this time - you can do it from already extracted folder if you want) to get the software installed too, now.

3. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Vega FE OC
    If you change the .inf, the signature is not working anymore, right ?

I use another way, which keep the driver signed. It's pretty "trashy" but it works (at least for me...).

1-(You have to do this only once) Install the real Vega FE driver, with custom install so you can choose to use "driver option". As usual it will create a folder in c:\AMD
    2-(You have to do this only once) Once it's installed, go to the setting, driver option, and install the gaming driver (17.9.1 at this time). It will create another folder in c:\amd. It will be C:\AMD\Packages\Drivers\Radeon-Crimson-ReLive-17.9.1-c0318725-64bit-171006_drvWHQL . You should see 3 files and 1 folder, with a lot of dll inside. That's your driver.
    [​IMG]

3-Make a copy of this, in a new folder, like c:\amd\17.10.3mod for exemple
    4-Download the gaming driver you want. Let's say 17.10.3. When you launch the install, it will create a folder in c:\amd. In this case, go to C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.10.3-Oct27\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B319605 , and copy all the files inside, to C:\AMD\17.10.3custom\B318728 created in step 3. Answer "yes", when it asks you if you want to replace the file.

So now, in C:\AMD\17.10.3custom\B318728 , you should have most of the files date 27/10/2017 (which is 17.10.3 date).

5-Now it's time to cleanup before installing this weird driver. Launch DDU, reboot in safe mode, and clean&restart with DDU.

6-After reboot, go into device manager. Under video card, you should see the basic Microsoft thing. Righ click on it, install driver, and manually point the install to C:\AMD\17.10.3custom\C0318725.inf , so it will install the dll/drivers we copied in step 4. It will tell you the driver is signed, but It can't verified it (or something like that. click yes, it's ok. So now the driver is installed. The driver version, and date, show the 17.9.1 numbers, because we kept the original .inf. But if you go to c:\windows\system32 , and check the amd dll files, you will see it's the latest. If you're under the latest windows 10 version, and use dxdiag, you'll see that the driver is wddm 2.3. It's "proof" that the new driver is used, because the original 17.9.1 is wddm 2.2.

7- So now, we have the latest driver installed, but... No Radeon Settings. No problems, go to c:\AMD and find the original driver used in step 1. For me it's the lasted official FE driver, which is C:\AMD\Radeon-Pro-Software-17.Q4-Oct25. Go to C:\AMD\Radeon-Pro-Software-17.Q4-Oct25\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64 , and install ccc-next64.msi . It will install the pro control panel, which work with our "weird" driver. You don't have access to chill feature, but except that... Oh, no wattman either, but OverdriveNTool is working, so no need.

So, basically, you use and old but original installer, with the newest dlls. The driver version showed in apps is wrong, because it reads the information from the original inf, but, it doesn't really matter to me.

Now, you can't "upgrade" driver with this method. You have too clean with DDU before. If you don't, windows will not use the upgraded dll, but the ones he has in "store" in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\0318725.inf_amd64_776dc30e20b73fba

So it's not a perfect solution, but it's working for me...

I hope it helps.

YY911SF likes this.
  4. YY911SF

YY911SF Member

GPU:
    Evga Titan SLI
    I love you!!! Thank you so much!!!!!