Anyone know how to get my N64 working with an RFU Adapter?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by PETEY, Jan 29, 2006.

1. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Well, a year back, my RCA (Red, White, Yellow) cables disappeared for my N64. Not only that, but *ALSO* my SNES. Which was quite strange. Well, I sent my brother off to got retrieve a new cable from Gamestop and they claimed they only had RFU Adapters (Basically an adapter that connect my N64 to my TV using an Antenna Cable). Well, my brother thought that was good enough and brought it back. Well, I plugged it in directly into the back of my TV and set it to recieve through Channel 4. It is very....static-like, and then after the first 5 minutes my screen went blue. Now I can't play anything because I just get a plain blue screen when I turn on my N64.

Anyone have an idea what I am talking about, and know the solution?

2. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    could be that you got a bad cable

try channel 3

then return it if the problem still is going on

ebay other cables, look around they are easy to find

you can also use the gamecubes red,yellow,blue cables so you can buy one for the gamecube and it should work on your n64

3. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Well, I could buy those, but not for a week, and I want this to work until then. And my TV doesn't have channel 3.

4. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, check the RFU adapter. There is usually a switch on there to tell it what channel to use. Most, if not all of them, have the choice between channel 3 or 4. If your RFU adapter isn't running straight into the TV then make sure you have the component it's pluged into on and set to the right channel as well.

EDIT: You wouldn't believe all the crap I have set up on my TV. DVD player, VCR, and two consoles. I got both consoles hooked up, but not enough outlets to go around, even with a power strip. got my DVD player, and 2 consoles hooked up to the VCR that then goes to the TV.

If you still get static try cuttin out some extra connections. I know that when I had 3 consoles hooked up that the last one in the chain always had static, but if I put it first it would be clear as a bell.

5. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Yes, of course I have it set to Channel 4. I have tryed having my RFU adapter (1)running straight into the TV, (2)off and through an antenna cable, and with it plugged into the (3)TV and the antenna cable leading off the RFU adapter.

Also, I just tryed it on the SNES and I get the same error. What does the blue screen indicate? :(

My quest to play Perfect Dark isn't going so well.

6. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

No signal.

7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I guess it died somehow, although I've never heard of that happening. Quick question though, what happens on the screen when you turn the console off?

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well in the UK as far as i know N64's only came with the aerial connector and mine works fine and good quality(as much as u'd expect), but i know my Gamecube RCA cable works with my N64 and vice versa.

9. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

if the tv is an old manual tuned one then it tunes into the U channel, if its an automatic tuner, just turn on the n64 and leave it to auto tune till it picks up the console

10. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS

Well, it is almost random.

Most of the time : It goes back to the TV. My TV isn't hooked up to anything so it is just a distorted News Channel, or whatever it is.

Sometimes : It stays at the blue screen for an extra minute or two.

Rarely : The game works.

11. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Well, I got this TV free a year or two ago. And it seemed very old even then. It is mono after all. That is a good idea though. I wish I could find this out.

12. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    The Gamecube RCA and RFU work fine with every nintendo home console, I believe (atleast down to the SNES).

13. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    yeah only SNES - Game cube are interchangable not NES