Anyone is saving money for a Matisse build??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anticupidon, Mar 16, 2019.

1. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That would decent fallback plan.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Bought the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX for 100€ shipping included, new.
    Now, finding a RAM kit.
    Better buy 3200 @CL14 or a 3600 kit @CL 16-18?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Found a good price for a RAM Kit.
    Was on the motherboard's QVL list and also pretty good reviews and good price. Not Samsung B-die, just Micron E. Hey, for this alone I'll have to spend another 75 € shipped. Everywhere I've looked, a decent 3200 CL 14 Samsung B-die RAM kit is 150€ minimum.
    Bought the 16 GB (2x8)Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS16G4D32AESB for EUR 75 on Amazon DE.
    Now, my Matisse build gets closer to fulfillment...

4. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I've got my first part towards my Ryzen 3000 series build :D - Just CPU and RAM left to buy now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Excited would be an understatement, can't wait to upgrade from my i5 system :D

Astyanax likes this.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Wow, nice. Very nice.
    Can't say I'm not jealous, but also I have ordered the motherboard and RAM.
    Well, exciting times ahead
    What CPU you'll have?

Only Intruder likes this.
  6. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    3950X Obvs........ Na no chance I can afford that.

I''ll be going with a modest 3700X, RAM I'll be going with 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 DIMMS for 32GB which will be about £160 (doubling up from my current rig of 16GB). I'd love to go for 3600MHz or 3200MHz CL14/15 but they are so expensive and there's next to no stock in most places for them :'( so going for best price I can find (If I went with 2x8GB sticks, it'd be no problem finding nice high speed/low latency ram).

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Well, 3700X is nothing but a modest CPU :)
    It's a frikking octa-core CPU with enough oomph.
    Now, the RAM odisee is going on, without any signs of improvement. BDie is hard to find and expensive, and some RAM kits who were firstly manufactured with those chips, now are using Micron or Hynix.
    Aim for the 3200 CL 14 Kits, MicronF and Micron E Die can be overclocked, but takes more steps and use of the Ryzen Memory calculator.
    I'd rather have 32 GB of RAM and use it well, than have 16 GB which cost more that it's worth.

Only Intruder likes this.
  8. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Well.... Modest in the Ryzen line-up ;) And it's certainly a huge leap over my 4690k both in speed/IPC let alone core/thread count - 4 more cores and 12 more threads, it'll be glorious! I do a lot of video encoding too so it'll be great for that. And on another note, with my 4690k, I've actually noticed a performance drop on my 4690k since the security mitigations too.

Exactly the same for me, I'd rather take more usable RAM vs the minor performance difference. The tighter timings or higher clocked memory don't really justify the heavy increase in price and I'm sure with tweaking I can get better performance out of the ram I'd get anyway (if I feel the need to tweak). At least with Ryzen 3000, it's much easier to manage the ram from what I've seen.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    My Crucial RAM kit was delivered to me today, and it was ordered on the 3rd of this month.
    I ordered an 2X8 GB kit, somehow I've got an 16 RAM stick.
    Call me stupid, but I've filled a return and exchange RMA, just want my 2x8 sticks.
    Yes, I know I could buy another 16 stick later on, but I couldn't see myself use 32 GB of RAM anytime soon. Maybe even so, I prefer to buy them cheaper or something.
    Either way, the build is delayed even further.
    Makes me sad, but hey, this is a first world problem.

10. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Well, I've done it! I have an AMD system now!

[​IMG]

HandR and K.S. like this.

11. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Only Intruder and HandR like this.
  12. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Update to my last post - I installed the R7 3700X, below are my findings

• Chip runs insanely hot - is in need of serious change, algorithm(s) tied to PBO/voltages per CPU.
    • Needs to be resolved in AGESA version 1.0.0.4; alternative is returning to vendor
    • 3700X is 65W TDP runs up to 4.4 & likes to stay @ 4 during load, on all cores. BIOS Defaults.
    • There's also the issue of X570 boards drawing more power than non.
    • Current state of affairs is a crap-show AMD reps deny flaws & are doubling down for legal reasons or to avoid recalls if micro-codes don't resolve.
    • Community posts bugs for de-bugging & help "AMD-Robert" hacks respond "nothing wrong with it"
    • As seen below in my system for example, the 3700X hitting 95C.
    • It yet won't throttle as further hits 96C beyond TJMaxx, and stays on. HWMonitor is in synch with RyzenMaster (check the shot as evidence)
    • What's odd to me is this same cooling setup never had issues with a 65W R7-2700 8-Core PBO on 4.1 Boost. 4.1/4.4 differential.
    • The obvious difference being the 2700 never had 1.4/1.5V being pumped into it. That much is true. Else I'd have had the same problem.
    • What is strange to me is why we're feeding that much voltage into this processor on stock settings & why that is considered normal?
    • After a 10 min stress test boom - TJmaxx? I never saw 70C previously, 300MHZ require that much increase in voltage for this new architecture?
    I call bullshit.

[​IMG]

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    @K.S. so 3700X runs SO hot?
    Even with an AIO cooler?
    I'm not comfortable with this idea of having that voltage/temperature in my rig.
    I'm decided to buy an 3700X later this year, I want to know if this is an isolated situation, or the status quo.

14. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    *sigh* yeah sorry for the emphatics - AIO liquid cooling 240MM radiator 4 120MM fans, push/pull config - I'm trying to find out more regarding how many people are having trouble like this...so far looks like they run hot

atm I'm perusing our own Ryzen all in one thread and looking around reddit etc https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...imings-tweaking-cooling-part-2.423134/page-54

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    I have a hard time getting this absorbed and processing this info got me on the skeptical side of having a CPU running SO hot, and being advertised and sold as an 65W CPU.
    Maybe idle voltage is the root cause of this issue?

K.S. likes this.

16. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    So it's interesting you say that - one of the "floating" suggestions I've been finding on AMD's subreddit is people have been forcing a lower vcore of 1.3 on them and holding them stable apparently; and then lowering them from there etc. As to show for an example (if I'm understanding these threads right) it would appear AMD sort of just "slapped" 1.47V/1.5 on there as a "one size fits all" vcore for max clocks and or for all cores OCing under load it appears (from what I can see when stressing). Now while yeah ofcourse that will hold the cpu stable; it makes them insanely hot & also reduces the amount of time and testing AMD need do per SKU if you get what I mean

additional: the only caveat I would add about setting a vcore to a cpu with boost functioning is I'd assume let's say one of us were to go the route of "1.3" etc something more amenable right? Well that'd be great less heat possibly still stable clocks; however - I'd guess the concept of variable rate voltages wouldn't work as they'd either be adaptive + / - and some skew one sets or a manual vcore; either way you probably won't get as low as 1.009v for example running up to 1.3 (what you want it at) for a stable 4.4 under load. The point being; I'm feeling like wow this is a lot of footwork for the 3rd release of Ryzen what the actual frack

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Hmmm, I have still time to change my decision to buy an 3700X.
    Main reason was 65W cool and quiet, right?
    Maybe I should go for the 3600/X depending on the temperatures and voltages.
    Black Friday is not so far away, need to dig more and consolidate my decision.
    Thanks for the heads up @K.S.

18. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Probably something to that effect, yes. & no problem'

3600X benchmarked above a 2700X in some results I've seen - It's a great performer! Should produce less heat than this; yeah I may return considering Black Friday coming up...

19. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I've not touched overclocking on mine, left it all under defaults and like @K.S. "3700X is 65W TDP runs up to 4.4 & likes to stay @ 4 during load, on all cores. BIOS Defaults." I get the same behaviour there however I find it runs very cool. I've got mine under 240mm AIO liquid cooling (Fractal Celsius S24) and set fan curve to maintain quiet operation, only ramping up to audible levels if it goes over 65°c but I find it rarely exceeds 55°c often staying just over 50°c. (I am on latest abba bios).

I think at the moment, it's best to avoid PBO, from what I'm aware it's just plain broken.

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    My goal ( maybe wishful thinking) to get something @250€ with best performance for that price.
    PBO is working at BIOS level, or runs on Windows then implements the settings at startup?
    Asking this because I'll use ArchLinux, it's enough OS for me.