Anyone having problems with driver 388.31?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nateluthje, Nov 22, 2017.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

I am having some troubles with the latest driver (388.31). I cannot play ghost recon - it crashes intermittently throughout the game, requiring me to turn my computer off and on again - I can't use the reset button and divinity 2 has black "squares" all over the place in game, making it unplayable.

My video cards are not OC'd, running at stock, processor is OC'd at 4.9GHZ.

Things I have tried - running everything at stock, (including processor), using DDU to completely remove the old driver and install driver 388.31, disabled SLI, reverted to a previous restore point.

I just got the new "creators update", I was wondering if anyone has encountered any problems with this driver. I am currently running driver 389.69, which I find runs every game without any problems, and ghost recon does not crash. I am playing "divinity 2" and it runs at 60fps all day, every day without any crashes, and I must admit that the game looks great. I understand from reading the forum that driver 388.31 is optimised for divinity 2, but my system currently runs at 60FPS on Ultra settings as set through NVIDIA Profile inspector.

I'm even getting problems with the driver released after 389.69. I think that I will stick with my current driver, *(389.69)until these issues are resolved.

I believe I do not need to change drivers, if the newer driver doesn't work as long as I get the performance that I want, I think it is acceptable to keep using the current driver. Has anyone had any issues/problems with the latest driver 388.31? Just wondering, it could just be me!

All replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970 1450/7600
  3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    This is a good sign of h/w issues with your system.

4. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    where is this nvidia driver 389.69 found?!?

5. mikev190

mikev190 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Extreme
    Or the connection has come loose in the case :p

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    Which would also be a h/w issue -)

NeoandGeo likes this.
  7. mikev190

mikev190 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Extreme
    Touché :)

cookieboyeli likes this.
  8. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Nah, loose cables are software, for sure. :D

I also second the question, 389.69? Do you mean 385.69?

9. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    ZotacAE 1080Ti@2075
    Yea, it's just a noob typo.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    NV Titan X (Pascal)
    Maybe it's some sort of incompatibility with different drivers or Windows. On my X79 board my back USB 3.0 ports and Marvell SATA controller don't work in Windos 10 1709, for example. I thought it was my mainboard starting to fail, but rolling back to 1703 or installing it fresh get them working fine again. Going back to 1709 (either an upgrade or clean install) and they stop working again. I've tried all kinds of different drivers that all work in 1703 but in 1709 all have the same issue. So maybe try to roll back/install 1703 and see if that helps before you settle on a hardware failure.

11. Singleton99

Singleton99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    no problems myself , maybe try a fresh install of windows if you haven't already , then hit some graphics and cpu stress tests and go from there .

12. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    No issues here.

To rule out overclocking issues (including factory overclocked cards), you can switch to debug mode in the nvcp (it's somewhere in menus at the top of the window.) AFAIK, this will switch the card to reference clocks. If this stops the issues, then it could be that this driver exposes an OC instability that wasn't hit with previous drivers.

13. insp1re

insp1re Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
    runs perfect here.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    No issues here either.

105%
    +125
    +500

15. khanmein

khanmein Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    The King of Fighters XIV (Steam Edition) game ready driver & GFE optimization are still not available for KOF XIV & NBA 2K18 too.

16. w311

w311 New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 260
    I am also having crashes with 388.31 (Overwatch - rendering device has been lost , Call of duty ww2 - direct x crash , Assassin's creed origins ,Star wars battlefront 2 - CTD no message , Destiny 2 - CTD no message when fast traveling between points in EDZ) . Using a factory overclocked card ( gigabyte gtx 1080 Ti extreme ) . 388.13 were perfect and i had 0 issues with those. All the crashes appear with driver has stooped working but has recovered in Event viewer . Funny that in all benchmarks or stress tests ( unigine superposition for example ) i don't have any crashes or graphical artifacts.
    Other people on other forums are also experiencing crashes with this driver.

After i switch to debug mode do i reinstall 388.31 to get rid of debug mode? Will the reference clocks remain forever with the card now? :)

17. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    NV Titan X (Pascal)
    On my folks System with Zotac GTX 1060 Mini the video card gets an Error Code 43 in device manager with 388.31 on Windows 10 64 bit 1709 the first boot after driver install (if you don't reboot, the card and drivers work fine until you do). I thought it might be a hardware failure at first, but going back to 388.00 works fine (and installing 388.31 again yields the same erratic behavior), so I think it's something with the driver. @ManuelG any ideas?
    On my Desktop with Titan X (Pascal) and my laptop with GTX 1080 and the same Windows version I work okay, although the destkop loads slowly and behaves a bit more sluggish compared to earlier drivers.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  18. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    No. You just disable debug mode.

19. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 750 TI 2GHZ
    with me and after ddu only metal gear solid 5 phantom pain runs like crap and yes i had unplug my power couse the game just frooze waiting for more drivers to see if this thing stops