Anyone have problems with Windows 8.1 restarting instead of shutting down?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've had my Haswell build since last June and in that time I've upgraded from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit with Media Center).

However, I've noticed that my PC seems to annoyingly restart when I've actually chosen the Shutdown option. I known I have selected the correct option because it says "Shutting down" in big white letters in the middle of a blue screen not "Restarting".

Anyone else having this problem?

It's irritating because I shut my PC down when I go to work and often it starts up again to the login screen and then I have to shut it down again. Could it be an issue with the motherboard?

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    no probs here, could be mobo, a lot of the z68 gigabyte mobos suffered a thing called the 'boot loop bug', where it took a few attempts to boot up on occasion if I remember right.

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I have had it happen.

it likes it bsod when shutting down. but its not showing or registering in event logs thats it bsod.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    My Z77 and Z68 both do the boot loop. But no I have not had this happen to me. I used to come home to find it on when I knew I shut it down. I found out latter my cat figured out it can push that big button on top of my case and it makes a clicking sound.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My problem isn't related to a blue screen crash or continual restarting or anything like that. It's just that I select Shutdown and then my PC restarts instead so I have to login then select Shutdown again which then does shutdown! It seems to happen at least every other time and it's getting annoying. As I said, I select Shutdown and the screen actually says Shutting down so I don't understand why the PC then just restarts as if I'd selected Restart.

I'm inclined to thing it is a bug with Windows 8.1 myself as I don't recall this happening with Windows 8 (or, if it, did it was so rare that I can't recall it).

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    if not mobo, which I guess it doesn't sound like it then it's OS or main drive corruption.
    I have a prog to zero drives i'd try zeroing it then clean install if you get anymore similar probs.
    i'd upload the prog but it seems to only burn to disc, I guess I could make an image the prog is very small and you could burn to disc.

7. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    What happens when you try to shutdown using this command line ?

HTML:
    Shutdown /s /t 0

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    in LAN driver disable all wakeup parameters.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Odd .. try disabling hybrid shutdown.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Try disabling auto restart after system failure just to rule out an operating system crash.A lot of these when it happens at shut down it won't get recorded in Event Viewer as a crash.This won't solve the problem but it will either confirm or rule it out.
    System>system protection>Advanced>StartUp and Recovery

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    nevermind

12. racock

racock New Member

GPU:
    Intel 865 Express
    Shutdown at cmd works

Hi, tried that and it works (shuts down).

but clicking shutdown still displays 'shutting down' and the spinning white dots, a fair bit of hard disk activity, and then a spacebar / mouse move brings one back to the splash screen / login prompt, like the previous user.

I also tried the disabling the reboot on crash option as per above, but no joy.

Thanks.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    it's a known bug, rarely happens to me but it annoying when it does

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Hey, I remember this issue. I even had a thread about it a while back. First time, replacing the NIC fixed it. When it returned, I had to replace my motherboard.

15. racock

racock New Member

GPU:
    Intel 865 Express
    Laptop

Hi, thanks for that. I've got a Dell laptop, so I can't swap out the NIC / Mobo easily, and I don't _think_ it's related, as I've had Win 8, and then Win 8.1 running on it fine for about a month now.

I got my home browser page hijacked by trovigo.com (all three browsers - Chrome, IE, Firefox), and have since installed superantispyware to get rid of it, and I'm pretty sure that it's stopped shutting down properly only since I did all the AV / Spyware scans / installed AuperAntiSpyware.

Guess I'll try un-installing and see if that makes any difference.

Ta

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Dunno if it's the same issue, but I fixed an old machine a couple weeks ago that would power on as soon as you gave it mains power and would reboot instead of shutting down

Eventually disabled a setting in the BIOS that said something along the lines of "In case of AC power loss" and the options were Restart, Do nothing, etc etc

I set it to "Do nothing" and now it behaves normally

17. Soares

Soares Guest

Some other good tools are malwarebytes and adwcleaner. Manual removal is also possible. Trovigo is active again, be careful.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's interesting...I will have to check that setting in the BIOS but, surprise, surprise, I haven"t had this issue occur for a few months so either I've been very lucky or it was fixed via a Windows Update.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Or even a BIOS update as I have installed at least two new ones since I reported this issue.

20. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ref Vega 64/1060 6G
    I have seen it a few times (latest being last night) but seems to be random.
    Most probably Win 8.1 bug as it was not there in 8 or 7.