Anyone game on a large wide screen TV?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by alanm, Dec 17, 2010.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm thinking of buying a Samsung 50" plasma TV for my living room. Well, it occurred to me that along with my main stereo (Yamaha 465 receiver, B&W floor standing speakers) + some hefty surround speakers, it could offer a killer gaming experience. All I have to do then (when in a gaming mood), is plug in a PC and scoot over an armchair to the center and be like 4 to 5' away from the screen. I think 1920x1080 res at that distance should look good. Plus with the impact of full tower speakers would be awesome. I was never convinced of dual or triple smaller monitors with bezel divides. Tried it once and was not impressed (2 x 22" screens). Anyone gaming with large wide-screen TVs? Pls share.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I use a 47inch LCD, as well as a set of floorstanders, and i love it, much more immersive than using a monitor, might not have the same detail as say a 30inch monitor, but the size makes up for it, and resolution is easier to drive.

Only thing, you will have to grab a wireless keyboard/mouse, but unless your an overly competitive FPS player, that shouldn't be an issue.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yeah, the wireless KB/mouse is no prob. I know from watching HDTV that the detail is stunning enough for my satisfaction, so 30" monitor at a higher res wont feel like a loss. Also from what I'm reading is that plasma is tops for color accuracy and black levels, but dont know if its necessarily better for gaming vs LCD. Any views on that?

I just realized theres an HTPC and HDTV section on guru, so if the mods can move it there would be appreciated.

4. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    I've done it several times. I have a 50" plasma in my living room and I've plugged my PC into it a few times. It is an awesome experience. The problem is getting a comfortable seating arrangement and adjusting to the differences. If you game a lot at a desk then it is quite different.

Make sure you have Dobly Live turned on or some other means to get good sound to your system or half the experience will be missing.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Plasma is more accurate color wise, has better response times and smoother motion, but i personally prefer the look of LCD, especially when it comes to using it for gaming, web browsing etc.

6. BungRTS

BungRTS Member

GPU:
    GTX460 768MB Sli
    yep bigger is better

I am using a benq mp522 dlp projector. screen is pretty much as big as you want up to 300". currently at 15:9 @75". that is using 1280x768. I am a racing freak and this size gives me 66"W x 41"H. Games i play are Toca3, Grid, NFS-MW-Carbon-Shift, Dirt, Dirt2, F12010. I highly reccomend DLP projectors but they do have 1 drawback - only so many hours for the bulb this one is 4000, I'm halfway there nearly 21 months use. Some newer projectors I have seen offer 6000hrs gettin better. I only GAME on it so its not bad. Anyone playing Dirt2 would get a real kick out of the screen height of 41" when you enter the canyon in Kane Creek/Hurrah Pass. Now no offence for you guys with 50" screens but when my first projector gave up (this is my second projector now, funny story bulb was 385.00cdn for a Viewsonic pj503D but staples had a sale on the BenQ reg 850.00cdn for 425.00cdn for a hundred more(incl taxes) I went from 800x600 to 1024x768 plus another 500Lumens) I couldnt go to something as small as 50", I know sounds funny to say but once you get used to this kind of size anything else is like a 15" monitor (LOL) For the ultimate game experience go BIG or go home. Next projector will be true wide screen and 3D Ready. I gotta get rid of the red/blue anaglphs and upgrade to Shutter glasses. Just my 2 cents.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont think I'll go the projector route, but I enjoyed reading your account of it. Its odd how detailed and good things can still appear at lower res from a distance. But yeah I'm convinced bigger size can and does offer greater involvement in whatever you're watching or playing, but only if also accompanied by some hefty sound to match the visual scale.

8. BungRTS

BungRTS Member

GPU:
    GTX460 768MB Sli
    Lower Resolution, ?? 768P is low res to you, hmmm you got one of those 2560x1600 30" monitors ?, if not try a game at 720p res (on a 1080p monitor and see how hard it is to see the difference. Plasmas are very good for colour, and generally are about 600Hz subfield drives but alot of the 50" ones are still 1024x768 or 1366x768 but are gaining ground in 1080p format. I use an Acer x233H 1080p monitor @720p for Web browsing and sometimes FPS games) Lower resolution is not a factor when in 3D. 800x600 is more than enuff. I sit 6 feet away from the screen and the image is jaw dropping. I have had professional photographers look at it and they are BLOWN away by picture quality. I play FPS games too and when you bring up say a scoped weapon it is truly inspiring to see the detail that a 3 foot diameter scope with crosshairs produces. I can tell you the colour of their eyes just before I take their head off. Plus, the amount of graphics horsepower it takes to play in 3D is HUGE, so my good old 8800GTX's still allow me to gobble up games like Crysis and Farcry2(DX10) with all settings MAXXED out - 16XMSAA, 16XAF, Vsync ON and still have 45+ frames per second. Oh yes not in my sig but I also am using an 8800GTS 320MB card for Physx. Sound is a relative thing as a very good set of headphones is just as good maybe even better than a large sound system, especially for positional sounds. I use a 5.1 headset for FPS games and the 2.1 Phillips for Racing as positional sound not important in racing games. Cheers eh, M2CW

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

As long as its 1080p then its good, u dont want anything lower then 1080 as a tv, trust me 720p gaming looks absoulately shyt.. I game on a 42" didnt really wanna go anybigger as i sit quite close and if i was ever going to go bigger such as a 50" i would just buy a 30" Monitor and game at a better resolution of 2560 x 1600

10. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I played Lord o.t.Rings Online on my 40" Samsung LED.

It rocks. 4 feet is ok for 40", but thats personal taste. 50" would be too big for 4 feet imo.

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yes, I'm gaming on an LG 42LH5000.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I game on a 42" Panny plasma, great experience.
    If its a high power (Watts) plasma like mine, make sure it also sees a lot of TV/movies use as well, to even out the wear.
    I've been gaming on this for about 2 years (many 12hr+ sessions) now with no sign of any burnin, just the temporary image retention that goes away within 1/2hr.
    The newer low power plasmas should be almost bullet proof.

With a decent hifi like yours, you will love it!

13. iZomBaDi

iZomBaDi Guest

GPU:
    Asus Titan X no oc
    Me games on an Apple Cinema 30" @ 2560x1600 (native).

It's one hell of a great experience!

14. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    So should the newer low power LED / Full LED LCDs. It's all just a matter of personal preference, but anyway I'm still happy with my 200 Hz TTFL one (which has a 2 ms response time and no visible input lag, by the way).

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I wasnt expressing a preference, I only piped up because the op mentioned plasma in his first post.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm at this stage looking at plasma, mainly due to it having better black levels, color accuracy and motion handling, not to mention better price at the sort of sizes I'm looking at. LCD LED models look spectacular but they're not cheap at 50". Been with an older LG 42" plasma (1024x768) and want bigger and better. May hang on for a while though and see what new models 2011 brings.

17. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I've been gaming on a 40" LCD HDTV for about a year and a half. I can't imagine I'll ever go back to the typical PC setup. I LOVE IT! I also have it attached to a 7.1 surround sound system w/ floor speakers & a powered sub which gives the games the movie theater feeling to them. I use a wireless keyboard & Sidewinder x8 mouse for gaming with no issues whatsoever.

Here's a link to a pic of my setup, I will be updating the speakers & going to a larger LCD soon.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3762291&postcount=157

Tv appears smaller than it really is, my PC case to the left is a full tower, the monitor to the left is 22".

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    You can safely remove color accuracy and motion handling from your list as the "cheaper while also bigger" plasmas still suffer from ugly color banding and ghosting, while my LCD does not (even though I bought it more than a whole year ago).

19. Tperk

Tperk Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 Matrix
    I upgraded to a 46'' lcd Hd of course, and even a 30'' seems small now. I only wish i was able to do this years ago. I actually had a hard time adjusting to it though.

20. alco

alco Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx780 DirectcuII OC
    atm on a 52ex700 sony screen sitting on the couch (bank ) with my mouse and keyboard on the table
    to tell the truth i should have taken the 60" to satisfy my gaming experience D
    it realy rocks bigger is better