Anyone find there z77 mb came with bent cpu pins?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by cowie, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I dont know if its just me and how they put the soocket protector on and i messed up but really i dont think i did.
    Any way i got a ud5 from ne it came i opened it and looked like 3 bent pins on it,not bad but still i needed to "prop" them up some.
    k that board just would not lite up after a few weeks so i went to mc and got another one...yup you guessed it that one had bent pins too.this one was worser then the first one 5-6 pins were f'ed,i fixed them abit and was ok but now its apita to get deul channel working so i think the pins that were bent has something to do with it. should have taken it back but i did not want to even get accused of doing it myself.
    Ok the question is
    have you recieved a z77 mb with bent pins?
    ofcoarse not bent from your own actions just right out of the box and bent.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not quite the same but I had 2 P67 motherboards that gained bent pins while the CPU was inserted in the socket.
    Both looked fine before the CPU was inserted, both were used with a different CPU.
    One board was returned to Gigabyte and was replaced.
    The Asus board was refused RMA so I lost £150 on it!

I'm no newb at fitting CPUs either, it wasnt my doing.
    These sockets are too fragile or are coming with defects.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hmmm i ran a 4lb dice pot on my p67's about 400 times never had any issue.
    now you got me thinking the cpu did it....but how if the cpu can only go in the socket so far?they would all be crushed i would think??

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I was blown away when it first happened to me, I was so careful.
    So I bought another cpu/mobo from another supplier before trying to return the first kit and was very very careful and it still happened!

3rd time lucky but I have no idea if there was any odd behavior inside the socket as I didnt dare take it apart to check after it worked ok.
    Since then, I've built further machines without issue but again, havent dared take them apart to see if anything isnt quite right.

The thing that bugs me the most is that any damage inside the socket is not warrantied.
    So if you receive a board with damaged pins, you have no legal redress unless you take them to court.
    I was impressed with the way Gigabyte dealt with the issue.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yeah that sucks
    what can you do open up the box on video?
    Its sorta a scam they can send you a mb with bent pins and its tough crap,they wont rma you at all.
    Not like i never changed a cpu myself.
    only bent pins i ever had on a mb was my neice taking a screwdriver to one of my x58 classy boards socket but i told her it was ok.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Even if you video the box opening, they can claim you staged the box opening after the event.

I dont think the warranty will stand up in court.
    But its a lot of hassle for £150.

7. GPU

GPU Guest

"have you recieved a z77 mb with bent pins?"

my M5F was inspected by the store manage before he took my money.[Canada Computers]
    cpu pins ,caps, connectors and acc.\cable count etc.,
    saves alot of finger pointing. first time they have done this on anything I've picked up in the past.he didn't check the HD or memory only the mobo.
    -best to get the mobo from a brick and mortar store and open it up at the cash,

8. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4 gig
    my z77 sabertooth when i had ordered it and i got it in it had bent cpu pins.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Have you contacted Gigabyte to see if they would be willing to help you out.? I had bent pins on my R4E when I got it and like you, Newegg wouldn't exchange it. So I ended up contacting Asus and told them what was going on. They ended up sending me a new board a couple days later.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well that is not a problem i dont think and not the reason i started the thread.
    I just felt that it could not happen to me twice that a new mb has bent pins out of the box.
    i do have two mb's to send back since i will no way buy any new z77 mb's again.
    if they dont rma me f them i'll sell my chip and be done with z77, dont care if you"need" these mb's for top scores

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I keep hanging my nose over a Z77 upgrade but the Ivybridge heat issues are putting me off atm. Bent pins would be a bummer!

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I haven't had any issues with bent pins on my P8Z77-V Premium, same goes for my old P8P67 WS Revolution.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Have you taken the CPU out and had a look?
    This could be a problem later and is scary to do in case it causes damage.

After the warranty for the motherboard has expired (ie you wont even be able to try for an RMA), you may wish to upgrade the CPU or sell the motherboard.
    If the pins are bent after removing the old CPU or after fitting the new CPU, you will be out of pocket or will have a case filed against you on Ebay, again out of pocket but now with bad rep.

Even if you upgrade CPU while the warranty is still in force, they can refuse the warranty because socket damage isnt covered.
    It seems they expect a zero defect rate lol.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You dont need to,SB/IB is only a minor upgrade regarding what you already have,you would get another 500mhz on top of what you have now...big whoop!

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    At this stage Haswell would make more sense to upgrade to :)

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    No mine didn't but I thought if i bought the mobo from microcenter it would so i got it off amazon again. Thats how much I was paranoid, other wise i would had went to micrcenter to get my stuff.

17. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    dont remember which boards they were, but yesterday, I was looking through Newegg *reviews * on the Z77 boards...and saw quite a few bent pin issues addressed there and like the stater of this thread, It was all new boards...
    So apparently, there is a QC issue going on...

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well i will go to mc and get another board this week but i will check it before i leave this time.
    i do have a chip just begging for use so i guess i will cave in and get another board.
    180usd at microcenter
    edit
    New one has no bent cpu pins + i messaged my single channel only board by flexing it.....now duel channel again :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012