Anyone fancy a challenge?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by papabrown, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. papabrown

papabrown New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1050Ti
    OK is anyone up for a challenge?

We have a Dell Inspiron Desktop 3668 and want to upgrade the GPU.

There is currently an MSI Nvidia 2060 in it but its maxing out and loosing frames when streaming Fortnite. Went for the 2060 as it was the highest spec I could find that didnt need additional PEG power.

1) First problem is that I dont know what the Wattage of the PSU is (theres no sticker on the visible part of it, although Im going to take it out completely and have a look - unless there is a way to tell without disassembling the rig)

2) Assuming the PSU is powerful enough (from what I've read the 2060 needs min 500 Watts), then the next problem is that its non-modular and has no spare power coming out from it. I would need replace a lead from the PSU that breaks out to the PEG.

3) My guess is that the PSU isnt upto the job though (I purchased it as an office machine not a powerful gaming machine, although I got 16GB RAM and some decent disks and CPU). So the next question is how likely is it that I can replace the PSU with a new one with the required power and cables?

Any advice greatly appreciated and I'm happy to pay a few quid to anyone who has the knowledge & time to discuss this with me on Whatapp/zoom etc

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I would go for new PSU in your place (with good cable management, and good 80+ level).

3. papabrown

papabrown New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1050Ti
    How easy it it to replace the PSU (and whats 80+) Sorry but this is new to me. My son is getting into his gaming and streaming and Im trying like mad to understand this upgrading thing!

The Dell Inpsiron 3668 Desktop from what I read is pretty tight so there is some advice on replacing the PSU with an external one. How many actual cables come from the PSU to the motherboard? I get that The cables that connect to the mother board I can leave there and then plug them back into the replaces (internal or external) PSU, but how easy is to know when to put each cable in the PSU?

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    psu is easy 4/5 screw hold in to case after that you just unplug the cables pull the psu, then you just screw the new psu to case and plug things back in the hardest part is cable management.

80+ is efficiently rating

Now if dell is custom psu that another story how cramp it is in the case is another

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    XenthorX likes this.
  6. papabrown

papabrown New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1050Ti
    Thanks for the reply. Watching the videos I was quietly hopeful that I could put in a new PSU.

But your last comment about if Dell use a custom PSU worries me Do you mean custom as in the shape, or custom as in a specific one for the motherboard and if I replace it - it might kill the motherboard?

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Dell does not manufacture PSU as far as i know, there's standards.
    I firmly believe any modular PSU from Corsair or else, with decent 80+ quality rating should do the trick as long as you have enough space in the case.

8. Dark360

Dark360 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    XenthorX likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes custom shaped psu is what i ment by custom psu

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru