Anyone experiencing random CPU usage spikes after recent W10 updates?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by BigBlockTowncar, Jun 10, 2020.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I have a Ryzen 2700x, I can't recall when it started, but it seems maybe in the last several Windows updates....actually, probably within just the last week. I've noticed that my PC will be sitting idle--all of a sudden I can hear the CPU fan spool up quite high--I left task manager open and sure enough, the CPU usage was spiking at 100% for about 5 seconds and then dropping again. It does this every 10 minutes or so.

Any ideas on what would be causing this?

2. NomadicX

NomadicX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
    Open task manager again, click on the cpu tab to see what process/service is using the most cpu when this happens.

3. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    Xfire 290X
    I had a similar issue with acronis constantly trying to make backups awhile back. Used process lasso since it was already installed to find the offending software and I removed it.

4. Tyson

Tyson Member

GPU:
    Keep a eye out for it and look at the CPU resource like Nomad said. You can sort it to find it more easily. It shouldn't go to 100 percent, maybe 50 percent but not the entire CPU. Me believes it can possibly be a malware or virus, but not saying it is. Just a thought I have never heard of 100 percent CPU usage when in idle or when you go to bed. It can just be bad software or software that is not playing nice with the 2004 update. Find out what it is and remove it. I wouldn't want my CPU going to 100 percent behind my back while Im dreaming lol.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yes, something is off. My CPU regularly idles at 35-30 celcius just sitting on the desktop doing nothing, but it will go up to around 45 celcius for no reason and then idles down within a few seconds. This is on a super clean version of Windows 10 with no gaming apps or programs running in the background. I've just noticed this in the last couple weeks, and I'm constantly monitoring temps.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats HAGS behavior.

7. Tyson

Tyson Member

GPU:
    There really aren't recent updates. Just the 20H1 after that not much updates. In task manager is there a process that is taking up resources? If not and the temp just changes with 0 percent activity then that is normal. Blame how they designed the IHS. Although if it is something that is new then there has to be some process running and showing how much percentage it is taking. Check for malware that can be your issue and what not.

8. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    I dont think the temp actually changes. Ryzen has a tctrl sensor which is what actually spikes, Tdie remains even during these periods. I also noticed tctrl has a linear decrease after a real spike, while tdie drops almost instantly with good cooling after load. So seems to be that tctrl is some "meta" sensor meant to control fan behavior. Since fans go by tctrl and not tdie, it causes those fan spikes during idle.
    They go away when overclocking with a set voltage, or you can adjust the fan curves and put a delay on them which wont effect cooling performance much at all.

9. Night Hope

Night Hope Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Maybe miner malware on your system. It plagues via some videos or torrent pages.